🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help! Emloyed a company to do block paved driveway and they're travellers!

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    joeyvicks wrote: »
    Would they have anyway of then using my details to use for their own use??
    Possibly. It's a risk - but then your credit card company will refund unauthorised transactions.

The important bit is that you have a very reputable company to turn to if need be.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    crazy to hire anyone at the door,and then to worry later, having to ask for extra support is not a good sign.

What have you paid, is it much cheaper than other quotes you got?

Asking for extra's i.e a deeper base, opens you up to being asked for more money.
  • srm1
    srm1 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Did you not have a 14 day cooling off period - where you could change your mind?

Maybe worth contacting trading standards, who or may or may not have a long case regarding these people.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    srm1 wrote: »
    Did you not have a 14 day cooling off period - where you could change your mind?

clearly not as they were around at 7.45am the next morning ;)
  • joeyvicks
    joeyvicks Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    yes I did have but they started the next morning.

If I was to cancel now and offer to pay them for what they have done so far I can only begin to imagine what sort of threats I'd get and our cars would probably get keyed and the like!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    joeyvicks wrote: »
    Joking aside, Would the fact they have put signs up all around our block with their company name not give you any confidence that they'll do a good job to show to other people?
    The fact that they have signs and a branded van suggests they have good intent.

Otherwise, why bother?
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You ought to check that they are registered waste carriers in case your old concrete has been flytipped somewhere nearby. https://www.gov.uk/access-the-public-register-for-environmental-information#waste-carrier-dealer-and-broker-licences

If they have that licence, then I would imagine that they are more likely to be legit.

All householders have a responsibility to check that any tradesperson they use has the correct permits otherwise they are liable for prosecution.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    All householders have a responsibility to check that any tradesperson they use has the correct permits otherwise they are liable for prosecution.

Would you like to provide a link to a case like this, where a person has been prosecuted for the actions of a third party?
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 381 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The fact that they have signs and a branded van suggests they have good intent.

Otherwise, why bother?

There's one born every minute! You can see why these people get away with it so often.
  • 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Would you like to provide a link to a case like this, where a person has been prosecuted for the actions of a third party?

I think you'll find there's a case here

https://www.scambs.gov.uk/content/pair-punished-fly-tipped-waste
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills