Help! Emloyed a company to do block paved driveway and they're travellers!

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    joeyvicks wrote: »
    Was planning on paying them by credit card before I started getting worried.

I would continue with the idea of paying by credit card if they accept cards.

Section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act makes the credit provider equally responsible for performance of the contract, so if things go wrong you can look towards the CC co for a remedy.

Here's MSE's article on Section 75.

You only need to pay a small amount on the card for protection of the whole purchase price.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Pretty hard to judge from here but I know when we were looking we spoke to a neighbour who'd had his done by some random types with Irish accents and it was a pretty decent job that has lasted well. Trouble was he had no contact details so we ended up with someone else anyway. If you get decent blocks and they've given the sub base a good firming down it won't be that far off - worst case scenario you might (in a few years) have to take the blocks up and relay them with some more sub based underneath.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • joeyvicks
    joeyvicks Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    I would continue with the idea of paying by credit card if they accept cards.

Section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act makes the credit provider equally responsible for performance of the contract, so if things go wrong you can look towards the CC co for a remedy.

Here's MSE's article on Section 75.

You only need to pay a small amount on the card for protection of the whole purchase price.

Would they have anyway of then using my details to use for their own use??
  • joeyvicks
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    Pretty hard to judge from here but I know when we were looking we spoke to a neighbour who'd had his done by some random types with Irish accents and it was a pretty decent job that has lasted well. Trouble was he had no contact details so we ended up with someone else anyway. If you get decent blocks and they've given the sub base a good firming down it won't be that far off - worst case scenario you might (in a few years) have to take the blocks up and relay them with some more sub based underneath.

Thanks Dave I needed that mate!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Remember when white limestone chippings in the top coat of asphalt were all the rage? One local 'firm' used mint imperials.
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Flagged up to them this afternoon that the sub-base need increasing as I don't want it dishing where my car will be and they agreed to top it up in the morning. I'm making sure that I'm around tomorrow to witness it.
    They've got all the right gear, ride on roller, mini-digger, the aco drainage channels they have dropped off are pucker aco's and the recessed manhole cover is good quality.
    Was planning on paying them by credit card before I started getting worried. Am I right to tar them with the same brush or could they
    be genuinely here to do a decent job?

Of course they have all the gear, that's because someone else no longer has!

They will probably chuck in a free dog if your lucky.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Is the "lucky heather" extra?
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • joeyvicks
    Options
    Joking aside, Would the fact they have put signs up all around our block with their company name not give you any confidence that they'll do a good job to show to other people?
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Joking aside, Would the fact they have put signs up all around our block with their company name not give you any confidence that they'll do a good job to show to other people?

Not really going to mean to much when they've hitched up their caravans changed the Pay As You Go mobile sim and moved 250 miles is it.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There's been a lot of controversy in north Cardiff over a company, doing this.
    They have been traced to a travellers site. By all accounts, they don't give anything in writing, it's all pay in cash, and whilst it may look good initially just wait until it settles because the sub-surface layers aren't deep enough.
    Have, had the guy call at the door several times over the past few months - been a lot of comment about them on 'streetlife' but people are still falling for it!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport