Working Fewer Hours

Options
Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been asked recently but I couldn't find it.

I am currently working in a job with a 16-hour contract that I am unhappy in. I am actively seeking other jobs. I have been offered a job which would be much more suitable (better hours, closer to home) but it is only an 8-hour contract guaranteed.

What would be the Job Centre's stance on this? I know that if I left my job by walking out they could suspend my benefits for up to 26 weeks (?) but I wouldn't be doing that, I would be leaving for fewer hours but still in work. Could I have my income topped up by Income Support or could I sign on with Jobseekers Allowance while working the 8-hours but looking for something else.

Sorry if it seems vague but I've put it across as best I can! I wouldn't leave the job I'm in (as much as I want to) without being sure of my options.

Thanks!

Comments

• sxcizme3010
    sxcizme3010 Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Silence209 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been asked recently but I couldn't find it.

I am currently working in a job with a 16-hour contract that I am unhappy in. I am actively seeking other jobs. I have been offered a job which would be much more suitable (better hours, closer to home) but it is only an 8-hour contract guaranteed.

What would be the Job Centre's stance on this? I know that if I left my job by walking out they could suspend my benefits for up to 26 weeks (?) but I wouldn't be doing that, I would be leaving for fewer hours but still in work. Could I have my income topped up by Income Support or could I sign on with Jobseekers Allowance while working the 8-hours but looking for something else.

Sorry if it seems vague but I've put it across as best I can! I wouldn't leave the job I'm in (as much as I want to) without being sure of my options.

Thanks!

I think you can still claim JSA but better to go and ask CAB - friendly warning - you may get some stick off people as your cutting hours of work to claim benefits (in their eyes) so just be cautious. I get abuse for claiming TC even though we both work and prior to me claiming tax credits I earned 40k (combined) but that doesnt stop them. Hope you get sorted
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing it's the same as if you'd left. If you had a very good reason they might be okay, otherwise you left of your own accord and they won't give you anything. Can you live on 8 hours?
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The hourly rate may still cause you to "exceed" JSA.
    Are you single? Do you get housing benefit?
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Silence209 wrote: »
    I know that if I left my job by walking out they could suspend my benefits for up to 26 weeks (?) but I wouldn't be doing that, I would be leaving for fewer hours but still in work.

I don't understand the distinction - you'd still be leaving your job with no good reason. I expect you'd be sanctioned - is there any way you can fit the hours round your existing job and work full time?
  • BoJangles_2
    BoJangles_2 Posts: 878 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can still claim JSA but better to go and ask CAB - friendly warning - you may get some stick off people as your cutting hours of work to claim benefits (in their eyes) so just be cautious. I get abuse for claiming TC even though we both work and prior to me claiming tax credits I earned 40k (combined) but that doesnt stop them. Hope you get sorted

Ahem....it was more about your attitude actually!!
  • sxcizme3010
    Options
    BoJangles wrote: »
    Ahem....it was more about your attitude actually!!

No its because I dont agree with your ideology on social security.
  • taylor8571
    taylor8571 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options

There are many on here who will judge, and some will even make comments which are below the belt, I have seen awful comments aimed at people who just need help, but in the most part there are some wonderful people like Blondebubbles who do less of the judging and more of the helping, I am sure she will be along soon.......best advice is to listen to the good advice and ignore or report any posts which are abusive. ;-)
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Had you been working less than 16 hours you could have left without sanction. As your contract is for sixteen hours, if the DM does not believe you had good reason for leaving, you could be sanctioned. Have you asked your new potential employer about extra hours, or could you find another part time job until you get something full time?
  • sxcizme3010
    Options
    taylor8571 wrote: »
    There are many on here who will judge, and some will even make comments which are below the belt, I have seen awful comments aimed at people who just need help, but in the most part there are some wonderful people like Blondebubbles who do less of the judging and more of the helping, I am sure she will be along soon.......best advice is to listen to the good advice and ignore or report any posts which are abusive. ;-)

Oh I do - the forum is excellent for help and advice and its a shame a few have to judge and spoil it but it doesn't bother me. I dont even believe what most of them put about saving up 70k for a mortgage and buying 2 cars in cash - (aimed at me as Im in debt) but then said she struggles on 60k... Just trolls trying to upset people really
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    sxcisme, please keep your posts on topic - this is not your thread and you are not helping the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure