Battling Debt and Mental Illness — and (hopefully) Winning!

Options

Comments

• AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Busy day today — delivered presents to a friend whose birthday is today, went to Waitrose and bought vegan ice cream, walked dogs, helped cook cheese biscuits, then went out for dinner (my first proper meal out since I became vegan!). Bought 4 tubs of ice cream, because I can't get dairy free ice cream in the 2 Tesco stores I regularly shop in. So now I'm sorted for at least a few months.... Bit disappointed that they had sold out of the chocolate flavour though! Also bought a few bars of chocolate with salt, which I love but have trouble finding without it containing whey or milk fat. So I spent quite a bit today, but at least the dinner was free and I had s lovely time.

I'm quite exhausted, because I haven't been sleeping well lately and it's been a busy few days. The stress of the past few weeks has also taken its toll. Spent all of yesterday afternoon doing Xmas baking, so have sorted everyone's presents except the pets' and just have to make a few bits and pieces, like fudge and honeycomb crisp (a type of toffee). Also thrilled that Andy Murray won SPOTY :) and happy to fit into the jeans I bought in Tesco the other day (wasn't sure I would, since it's my time of the month and I'm a little bloated), so it's been a great day despite the spending!
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    I sold my bangle! That's £10 made, plus I won 50p on Luckyphone this morning :D

Going shopping later; hoping not to spend too much. After I get the pets a present, I need to ask my mum how much I owe her this month so that I can budget for when I get my ESA on Monday.

Still loving the Allen Carr book — wish I'd bought it sooner, especially as his approach is in line with what I did when I finally faced up to my debt and committed to reducing it.
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    It's been a really up and down couple of days; suffice to say that my depression is worse again.

I received £25 of Amazon vouchers yesterday, for keeping a diary and a 30min phone call survey (which was scary, but went well last Friday). I spent £7 on ebooks today, £4 of which was on a book ai'm hoping will help my depression or just stop me feeling so alone. Also sold the bangle, so it was a good day MSE-wise, but awful emotionally/health-wise.

Today, my ESA has been paid into my account (I thought it would be early, due to Xmas bank holidays), so I topped up my rainy day fund and... *drumroll*... put £40 in my EF, which means I have hit my target for this year! I'm glad I hit my goal, but it's just the first step of many and I'm too depressed atm to feel happy or even appreciative.

My next goal is to save £1000 in my EF by my birthday, which is in May. It's ambitious, but not outside the realms of possibility. I also want to save £500 in my rainy day fund, to give me more freedom and so that I can do things I enjoy without putting it on the credit card.
  • 12_month_challenge
    Options
    Well done on exceeding your EF. Thats one goal you have achieved so far.

Wishing you well
    12MC
    SP 9#531=£620/SP 10 # 531=?PDBX 2016 #2 = £16,766.67/£12,000
    PDBX 2017 #2 = £1,200/£12,000

''If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain''
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You might not feel great emotionally or health wise but the steps you're taking now with the debt, savings and budgets are setting the foundations for when you are feeling better to keep things improving - after all if you can stay this focussed when you're not on top form just think what you can achieve when the health is better too!
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

Hit the £50 payment threshold on YouGov today, so hope to add that to my EF soon. Bought the pets' X,as presents this morning, which wiped out my savings pot. So relieved that I didn't overspend — my instinct is to grab loads of stuff and not consider the cost, but I stuck to my budget. I now have no spare cash whatsoever, but I have paid everything I've spent this month.

Been really busy over the past few days and my mum has given me a cold... Feel rotten, but a bottle of cider mellowed the aches and since I got everything done earlier, this evening is pretty relaxed (for once).

Merry Xmas everyone!
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Merry Christmas ABA :D have a great day tomorrow x
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10794.85/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1533.14/£2000 (76.7% saved).
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good Xmas :) Mine was okay, but I've got a bad cold so have been feeling pretty rough. Wish I could think more clearly, but never mind. At least being ill means my depression and anxiety are forced into the background most of the time.

On the money front:
    • I have spent loads on ebooks, but still have a little left on my Amazon balance.
    • I hope to add to this, so that I can buy my brother a birthday present. Though I could use Boots Advantage points instead/as well.
    • I haven't been out much, so no other spending.
    • I have a big bag of treats to see me through the start of the year :D so won't need to spend much when shopping.

Happy New Year, if I don't post again before Friday :)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Thinking of you ABA - take care of yourself. Read your book, and take small steps x
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Happy new year to you ABA. You've done so well hitting your first EF target.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport