Part payment returned by cheque (haven't cashed)....

Options
Ignatius1
Ignatius1 Posts: 91 Forumite
edited 30 July 2015 at 12:13AM in TV MoneySaving
Hello

I've had a television licence for almost 3 years now. Year 1 - monthly payments cancelled after the sixth payment once 145.50 was reached. Same thing for year 2.

Year 3 - quarterly plan was seemingly set up. Once properly realised or something, I didn't like the idea of paying an additional five pounds.

2 of the 4 payments had already been made (even though the first one was taken up front so not an actual DD). I called to see if the payment plan could simply be changed with payments recalculated and adjusted etc. The person changed from a quarterly to monthly payment plan and then back and then cancelled it after we were both getting a little frustrated. I was frustrated because changing the payment plan from one to the other was going to result in the payments starting over from scratch, payment number 1 etc. Surely I'd be overpaying (but, thinking about it again, of course I could look to cancel the DD once 145.50 or thereabouts is reached).

So, after that call was finished I decided to send £70.24 to 60-80-09/30287561 with my licence number as the reference. They sent me the refund cheque (I guess they were expecting to see 145.50).

I called again and asked if the first two payments that I made could also be returned to me so that at least then I had the full 145.50 which could be sent back to them. Not possible. Ridiculous!

I think TVL Capita operate like this in such a way to be deliberately obtuse.

Please.... Any sound advice as to the best way I can handle this will be much appreciated (although I do think a straight-to-the-point letter with some strong words to TVL might be next on the agenda)

Visit https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvbehfvv0pt5ge4/TVL-nonsense.pdf?dl=0 to see all 4 documents received from them, scanned and redacted.

Thank you

Comments

• Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    Your style of writing is not suited to this type of forum.

If you keep is short and factual rather than journalistic you may get a better response, I found it quite difficult to work out your current situation.

If it present you need a TVL, then buy one in whatever method suits you best.

TV sellers had a legal obligation to inform TVL when receiving equipment was sold, this is no longer the case.
  • Ignatius1
    Options
    I'm sorry about that. Let me try again.

I've had a television licence for almost 3 years now. Year 1 - monthly payments cancelled after the sixth payment once 145.50 was reached. Same thing for year 2.

Year 3 - quarterly plan was seemingly set up. Once properly realised or something, I didn't like the idea of paying an additional five pounds.

2 of the 4 payments had already been made (even though the first one was taken up front so not an actual DD). I called to see if the payment plan could simply be changed with payments recalculated and adjusted etc. The person changed from a quarterly to monthly payment plan and then back and then cancelled it after we were both getting a little frustrated. I was frustrated because changing the payment plan from one to the other was going to result in the payments starting over from scratch, payment number 1 etc. Surely I'd be overpaying (but, thinking about it again, of course I could look to cancel the DD once 145.50 or thereabouts is reached).

So, after that call was finished I decided to send £70.24 to 60-80-09/30287561 with my licence number as the reference. They sent me the refund cheque (I guess they were expecting to see 145.50).

I called again and asked if the first two payments that I made could also be returned to me so that at least then I had the full 145.50 which could be sent back to them. Not possible. Ridiculous!

I think TVL Capita operate like this in such a way to be deliberately obtuse.

Please.... Any sound advice as to the best way I can handle this will be much appreciated (although I do think a straight-to-the-point letter with some strong words to TVL might be next on the agenda)

Visit https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvbehfvv0pt5ge4/TVL-nonsense.pdf?dl=0 to see all 4 documents received from them, scanned and redacted.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    OK, Think I'm up to speed.

1. Cash the cheque.

2. You need a TVL phone on Sat or Mon (not before!) and start a new one letting them know its to start from 1 Aug it does not need to be back dated as you have not been watching live TV whilst licence free.

3. If you have been licence free for a month or so I'm sure that will recompense you for the odd extra £5 you were paying.

4. Move on.

In addition you can get very stressed, worry about how TVL works and the people who work there, and send lots of letters, it will achieve nothing but stress.
  • Ignatius1
    edited 30 July 2015 at 5:10PM
    Options
    OK, Think I'm up to speed.

1. Cash the cheque.

2. You need a TVL phone on Sat or Mon (not before!) and start a new one letting them know its to start from 1 Aug it does not need to be back dated as you have not been watching live TV whilst licence free.

3. If you have been licence free for a month or so I'm sure that will recompense you for the odd extra £5 you were paying.

4. Move on.

In addition you can get very stressed, worry about how TVL works and the people who work there, and send lots of letters, it will achieve nothing but stress.

Thank you for your post.

OK - so, I've had the cheque in my possession for several weeks now and decided not to cash so the money stays in their account [which surely is where it should be].

It's just ridiculous how TVL, whose primary duty is to sell licences, sent me a "refund cheque"! It's almost as if they're saying "oh, no do not pay, we will give you the money back". If I cash it, I'd only have a desire to resend £70.24 to them. I'd already paid £75.26 (£37.64 (non Direct Debit taken on 23/12/2014 when the quarterly plan was seemingly set-up) + £37.62 (an actual Direct Debit)). As we know, I avoided payment installments 3 and 4 by sending £70.24.

"2. You need a TVL phone on Sat or Mon (not before!) and start a new one letting them know its to start from 1 Aug it does not need to be back dated as you have not been watching live TV whilst licence free."

I need a TVL phone on Sat or Mon? What is a TVL phone? Do you mean I need to telephone call ring them on Saturday or Monday? Start a new one? Start a new licence? I've already made two payments for licence 2014-15 - I'm not going to overpay them.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    Ignatius1 wrote: »
    T
    "2. You need a TVL phone on Sat or Mon (not before!) and start a new one letting them know its to start from 1 Aug it does not need to be back dated as you have not been watching live TV whilst licence free."

I need a TVL phone on Sat or Mon? What is a TVL phone? Do you mean I need to telephone call ring them on Saturday or Monday? Start a new one? Start a new licence? I've already made two payments for licence 2014-15 - I'm not going to overpay them.

You payment has been refunded and is not credited to your account. Stating "as we know" does not sadly make it fact.

TVL - TV Licence. Phone at the start of the month as the TVL will start then, if you phoned today it would have started 3 weeks ago.

Just phone and pay you licence, or ignore them all together, cant see its worth much effort either way.
  • Ignatius1
    Options
    You payment has been refunded and is not credited to your account. Stating "as we know" does not sadly make it fact.

TVL - TV Licence. Phone at the start of the month as the TVL will start then, if you phoned today it would have started 3 weeks ago.

Just phone and pay you licence, or ignore them all together, cant see its worth much effort either way.

"As we know, I avoided payment installments 3 and 4 by sending £70.24.".... That is fact because it's what I did. OK, they sent a cheque that I have no intention of cashing because the money I sent them was to pay off the other half of the licence fee (just like we do with credit accounts). This should be permitted with TV licences. We should all be entitled to pay the "remaining balance" off early or make part payments.

I had already paid approximately 50% of the full licence fee. I'm not going to start a new licence and pay more than I should. These people aren't even willing to refund me the half of the fee that I had already paid.

Ignore them? I may contact TVL/Capita and tell them that I no longer need a licencee because I am not watching or recording live television transmissions, and may inform them that I'm revoking their implied right of access.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    Its a TV License not a Tv Subscription, Nor is it a Credit Account.

Hence you need either a licence fully paid up for the year, or a budget plan in place for the periodical payment of that licence (monthly, quarterly etc). As its a 'concession' that they allow such instalments to be made and decide on how they want it structured e.g.

Paying monthly - pay 1st year licence over 1st six months (step A), with next 6 payments being in advance of the next year starting (step B) , and then the following 6 being the rest of that year (step C), following which would then revert to Step B and so on...

Paying Quarterly would follow a similar sequence..

They have this structure which is easier to follow , rather than allowing people to devise there own structure to the payments to confuse matters.
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ignatius1 wrote: »
    Once properly realised or something, I didn't like the idea of paying an additional five pounds.
    I have no idea what this sentence means. "Properly realised"?
    And the rest of your text is similarly obfuscated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure