wedding car or walk?

Options
The church I want to get married in is around a corner and across the road. Probably a 2 minute stroll if that. Would it be acceptable to walk to my wedding? Not sure how I feel about dragging a big white dress up the street for everyone to see...

Comments

• heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    samstown wrote: »
    The church I want to get married in is around a corner and across the road. Probably a 2 minute stroll if that. Would it be acceptable to walk to my wedding? Not sure how I feel about dragging a big white dress up the street for everyone to see...

That's what your bridesmaids are for :)
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was going to walk to my wedding, similar distance to you. But it rained so we order a couple of black cabs on the morning.

I was planning to get the bridesmaids to lift my train up if it needed it!
  • MovingUp
    MovingUp Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to walk go for it. Just remember that British weather can be unpredictable and so have umbrellas at the ready. Also, what about getting to your reception? You may need a car for that.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My dad drove me - you don't need a fancy wedding car. So long as it's clean and maybe put some ribbon on doors/front, that's as far as I'd go. I definitely wouldn't pay for one in your shoes. My friend walked to her wedding - they lived literally across the road to the church.

As heuchera says, get your bridesmaids to help! Or maybe you could find a tuk-tuk thing to hire or something lol (or let some peeps carry you on/in a sedan chair/carriage!).

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    Options
    I walked to my wedding - it was incredibly romantic (walked with husband to be from hotel, through back streets of town to venue.) A really precious unrepeatable time together.

If it had been tipping down, we would have just got a cab.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • samstown
    samstown Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks... Defo feel better about it now
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine was just up the road as well so felt such a waste of money for a car. So we cleaned the cars, made flowers for the handles and put the ribbon on - job done

Oh, make sure whatever car you use you can get in and out of in your dress
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 July 2015 at 3:34PM
    Options
    Mrs G was driven to our wedding but we walked from the church to the reception venue about a quarter of a mile away, downhill through the woods, followed by our guests. It was the hottest day of that year, 32 degrees, so the shade was welcome.

I'd say go for it, a car seems hardly worth it. As soon as you got in you would have to get out.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes walk. Have a back up plan in case it rains but it seems a waste of money to pay for a car and it will be nice - I expect people will stop and look and clap and wish you well etc which makes you feel really special.
  • BarryBlue
    BarryBlue Posts: 4,179 Forumite
    Options
    We simply ordered a large taxi from home to the register office for us and our guests. He picked us up from our afternoon tea venue later and brought us back.

The register office was only a few hundred yards from the hotel where we had tea. The men walked and the ladies were taken in the hotel's little minibus, which they kindly offered us for free. All very MSE!
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport