Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Android TV Box

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
55 replies 20.3K views
the_devil_made_me_do_itthe_devil_made_me_do_it Forumite
5.6K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Has anyone got one of these boxes?

Replies

• RetrogamerRetrogamer Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not just now but i've ordered one and just waiting for it to arrive.
    Be interesting to see how it runs vs Kodi Openlec on my Pi2
    All your base are belong to us.
  • There are quite a few out there and it seems to be a bit of a minefield.

I've seen a couple that look ok from what a review site has said. One is Tonbux MXQ and the DroidBox. Just can't decide which model to get.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone got one of these boxes?

Not sure what you actually mean by TV box .

I have a Matricom Q box that runs Android viewed through my TV .
    That includes a web browser etc .
    I also run Kodi media centre on it .
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Not sure what you actually mean by TV box .

I have a Matricom Q box that runs Android viewed through my TV .
    That includes a web browser etc .
    I also run Kodi media centre on it .

Sounds like the same thing I'm looking for. Looked on a review site called best android TV box and 2 brands stuck out, the mxq and the droidbox T8.

A friend of mine told me about these boxes. He has an mxq but has had it a couple of years, so I'm looking for an updated version. Just can't decide which to buy.
  • RetrogamerRetrogamer Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't remember the exact one i went for but had 16GB ROM space, 2GB RAM and quad core 2Ghz cpu.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • corf999corf999 Forumite
    348 Posts
    currently using the fire stick, thinking about a razer forge tv or the nexus player.
  • I'm wanting to use it to watch TV. Not interested in using it for gaming or anything else.
  • HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Kodi on the Amazon Firestick. Little bit of lag between screens but certainly works quite well. I've got all the Sky Movies channels for free, thousands of movies and TV programs. It is very techy and a little frustrating at times when things aren't working as they should...not for everyone. The Firestick on it's own with Amazon Prime is still quite good though.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • I know you need to download some me apps for the TV, just can't work out which ones.
  • AletankAletank Forumite
    562 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    I use Kodi on the Amazon Firestick. Little bit of lag between screens but certainly works quite well. I've got all the Sky Movies channels for free, thousands of movies and TV programs. It is very techy and a little frustrating at times when things aren't working as they should...not for everyone. The Firestick on it's own with Amazon Prime is still quite good though.
    Which seller did you buy yours from ?
    What is your internet speed ?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.