Delivery of MBNA credit card -- signature required, problems...

Options
About three weeks ago I successfully applied for an MBNA credit card, but I never received it. I phoned them today to ask where it was, and they said that because I live in London (although why only London wasn't explained -- maybe it has more flats with shared mail areas, and higher fraud rates?) they require the postman to get a signature on delivery, and if no one is in they don't leave a "Something for you" card like they usually do but instead Royal Mail is asked to immediately return the card to MBNA. This is what had happened in my case (and MBNA didn't think to tell me this had happened until I phoned, of course....).

The problem is that everyone in my household is at work when the postman comes. The person I spoke to said that they could post it to my work address, but they were adamant that it would have to be me personally who signs for it at work, which will be difficult as the post at work arrives before I get in. So, what to do? Has anyone else had this problem with MBNA? The person I spoke to didn't seem to have any suggestions.

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    if you want it so much take a day off, although be very surprised if they would deliver to work
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have never heard of the Royal Mail even offering that service. Sending mail back immediately just because you are out is ridiculous. I am not sure what they said is correct. If it were, loads of people would never get their MBNA cards.
  • Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    Options
    I missed my Santander card and had it delivered next day to my work. You had to show ID.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Do you actually have a shared mailbox? Quite a few banks and card issuers ask this when you apply - did you tick the wrong box?

If they really are being awkward just because you're in London (which seems odd), I'd personally tell them to get stuffed and pick another issuer - if they make it that hard they don't want your business.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    its likely to be a courrier, if like hsbc do
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • scott_lithgows
    scott_lithgows Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PaulW922 wrote: »
    I have never heard of the Royal Mail even offering that service. Sending mail back immediately just because you are out is ridiculous. I am not sure what they said is correct. If it were, loads of people would never get their MBNA cards.

They do,some letters from courts instruct the postie to return to sender that day if there is no answer
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • alexanderalexander
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies.

It is indeed very bizarre and I can't see a way around it. They definitely said that this is something they do only for addresses in London -- I didn't tick anything saying I had a shared letterbox when applying. Taking a day off work wouldn't do it (even if I were willing to waste a day's annual leave) as they can't give an exact delivery day -- they just say "within a week". I haven't heard of Royal Mail offering an immediate return service either, but the person in MBNA's call centre definitely said it was Royal Mail who deliver them.

So, I'm still not sure what to do. I do need this specific MBNA card as it has particular characteristics. I agree it seems unlikely as surely this would mean hardly any cards ever get successfully delivered, but this is definitely what the person in the MBNA call centre said.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies.

It is indeed very bizarre and I can't see a way around it. They definitely said that this is something they do only for addresses in London -- I didn't tick anything saying I had a shared letterbox when applying. Taking a day off work wouldn't do it (even if I were willing to waste a day's annual leave) as they can't give an exact delivery day -- they just say "within a week". I haven't heard of Royal Mail offering an immediate return service either, but the person in MBNA's call centre definitely said it was Royal Mail who deliver them.

So, I'm still not sure what to do. I do need this specific MBNA card as it has particular characteristics. I agree it seems unlikely as surely this would mean hardly any cards ever get successfully delivered, but this is definitely what the person in the MBNA call centre said.

MBNA use DX courier service for London, I know because that's how my card was sent when I lived there, so the operator is talking codswallop about Royal Mail/postie service.

You should have had a card put through your door to rearrange a time/date for re-delivery.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure