We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sick of wearing make-up

Options
13»

Comments

• Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    ...next time she goes to her salon to get her lashes and brows done I'm going to tag along with her...

Maybe go the day/ a few days before - if they're reputable, they'll want to do a skin test. Then you can go and have yours done with your daughter when she goes, rather than being disappointed.
  • so_very_confused
    Options
    I also dislike wearing makeup. I used tinted moisturiser when I was younger however now find it gives me spots, I am 60 !
    I am now a convert to no 7 mineral foundation takes 30 secs to apply covers multitude of imperfections and lasts all day......what more could you want:rotfl:
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive taken to wearing just face powder when i need a bit of help but dont feel like applying a full face of makeup.

I'm using Estee Lauder Doublewear Stay in Place powder foundation at the moment.... mainly for the SPF.
  • Fusspot
    Fusspot Posts: 327 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use tinted moisturiser. I used to just use face powder but got paranoid when it started being said that it makes you look older. I am now 53. I'd love to go back to the No7 creme touch I used to use.

Judi, hope I'm not being rude but do you find powder ok, I don't know if you're in my age group though.
  • Dustyblinds
    Dustyblinds Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    Maybe go the day/ a few days before - if they're reputable, they'll want to do a skin test. Then you can go and have yours done with your daughter when she goes, rather than being disappointed.
    Actually I forgot about this, they do the skin tests so will have to go a few days early. I'll have to remember this, my daughter will keep me right :rotfl:
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have never been a full face make up wearer but for years I would wear eye liner and mascara until we spent a month in Mallorca a couple of years ago. I've never bothered with make up on holiday and a month without made it so easy.

I do wear the old stuff on the occasional night out and when my DD got married I went the extra mile and bought a light foundation (which I still found heavy) and so mixed a small blob with my usual moisturiser which worked fine.

All the women I work with rarely wear make up either and they range from 20's to 60's.
  • Armchair23
    Armchair23 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    The deep, deep joy of no mascara rings when you fall asleep on the sofa !
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am so envious of you all! I look ghastly with no make up. My skin is pale and grey and my eyes look like pee holes in snow!! Oh and I suffer from acne..although that is much improved in recent months!!
  • Nationwide8
    Nationwide8 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    edited 22 July 2015 at 9:50PM
    Options
    Am 53 now and have never found a foundation that suited me so have always just used powder to maybe tone down redness but am using that less and less.Have been made up professionally in the past with foundations and have found it accentuates wrinkles no matter what primer or type of foundation they have used and it only lasts a few hours anyway before the oil breaks through.I also don't like looking sort of bland and "even" .... everyone wants to look just one colour with no natural colouring coming through ?,Maybe it's just me or maybe I watch too many make up shows on QVC ;)
    The main thing I've found is if you sort out eyebrow shape and colour ( but natural not false looking ) and eyelashes it makes a huge difference...eyebrows esp.

Will have a look for a tinted moisturiser though as I am now wanting to keep make up as simple and as quick as poss,think your skin Thanks you for it...I swear by Liz Earles cleanse and polish.

Have short hair and have tried all sort of home temporary colours...would have highlights at a salon but it's expensive for me...anytime found a cheaper way around that ??
  • Dustyblinds
    Dustyblinds Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    I hear what your saying re the professional make overs accentuating wrinkles, I've never came away from a professional make over feeling completely happy, not that I've had that many mind.
    I actually got a tinted moisturiser from Asda when I was in the other night, rolled back to £2 so thought if it was no good I had nothing to loose, it is actually ok, I'm still using serum and occasionally some fake tan if I'm looking too pale, but it looks fine, the wrinkles aren't so prominent.
    I have short hair and use a home colour. Was talking to dd about highlights but figure it would be fairly expensive to maintain with my grey hair, I have so much of it. I'm going to speak to my hairdresser about it, I can trust that she will be honest with me and say wether it will be worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport