We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sick of wearing make-up

Options

Comments

• emma-6584
    emma-6584 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm not at this stage yet but my Mum hit it many moons ago. She is 56 and instead of being sick of wearing it she just couldn't see what she was doing anymore. She had to put on her glasses to apply it properly, but this meant she couldn't do mascara or eye makeup :) in the end she just doesn't wear it at all anymore. Instead she has her eyelashes and eyebrows tinted to save her the hassle. Wears brightening and illuminating moisturizers - so no risk of streaking foundation and makes sure she always has her hair done. It makes her look younger really as there is no powder clumping in lines and it's all about the radiance.
    July 2015 - £997 in Debt.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries challenge, started June 2015 UU x 18, TA x 6, IN x 26.
    July 2015 - No more paying full price!!
  • Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try something like Garnier BB cream, it's a mixture of moisturiser and makeup but very light. I use it everyday with mascara and a soft lipstick.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am in my early 40s and my default position is not to wear any make up. I have the odd resolution to wear it more often, but it rarely lasts for long. I mainly save it for nights out, tend to only wear to the office for important meetings.

I suspect unless you wear very heavy make up, your work colleagues might not even notice if you didn't wear make up, and if they did, they wouldn't care - most people are too worried about what people think of them to notice others that much (there's an irony in there of course...).

Plus, let's face it, men cope without make up and no one thinks they should hide and not be seen in public!

If you feel your skin isn't at its best and make up helps cover the issues, as others have suggested, why not invest time in looking after your skin so you feel comfortable going bare faced?

Also might be worth going to a make up counter and asking for a really low maintenance routine and see what they can suggest. There's some fab tinted moisturisers out there now. I got the new one from Bare Minerals recently and it gives a really nice finish - it's helping me to be a bit less lazy with my beauty routine.
  • MissOptimistic
    Options
    I also recommend Garnier BB cream, I used to wear foundation & powder every day, but now I only ever use the BB cream. There is an oil control one if you have combination skin or the anti ageing one is nice and has a slighly creamier consistency
    Emergency Savings Fund - £1100
    2015 Mortgage overpayments = £
  • Dustyblinds
    Dustyblinds Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    I rarely wear makeup and my friends are the same. If I feel I need a bit then I use blusher and mascara. If you have had enough then try cutting back slowly or stop all together.
    I stopped all together, just put some fake tan on, thought I would have had some comments like 'you look tired' etc but nothing, quite refreshing!
  • Dustyblinds
    Options
    I think as we get older "less is more". Powders and heavy foundation seem to highlight wrinkles rather than disguise them.

I'm 64. I wear a moisturiser, and some bronzing powder, a natural looking lipstick, a flick of mascara, a hint of eyeshadow and because imhave very sparse eyebrows I also use eyebrow powder.

In the winter if I'm pale then I just use a very light textured tinted moisturiser and a bit of blusher.

My make up takes around 5 minutes or less.

The main thing is to concentrate on skin care, gentle but thorough cleansing, and a good moisturiser, lots of water and a healthy diet, rich in oily fish.

Don't go in for low fat diets, skin needs fats and oils. A supplement of Evening Primrose Oil is also beneficial at keeping skin looking plumped up and fending off wrinkles.

Regular gentle exfoliation will help Slough of dead skin cells which can make mature skin look tired, grey or sallow.

Make up is great and can enhance our looks but it is no substitute for a good skin care routine. It doesn't have to be heavy or elaborate, the simpler the better and a healthy natural look is more flattering than just slapping it on with a heavy handed trowel.
    Your so right. I've decided that I'm going to invest in a tinted moisturiser over the weekend and keep the makeup for special occasions only. Thanks for the tips :):)
  • Dustyblinds
    Options
    lemontart wrote: »
    I got fed up around 10 years ago and now only wear very little on the odd occasion, I also gave up dying my grey hair, Now 54 and feel 2 of the best decisions I have made were to let go of that. Saved a fortune too.
    I may have given up the makeup but can't yet stop dying the hair. I'm waiting until I'm completely grey, as I think it can look lovely, especially on short styles, but I'm not ready for that yet.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    I don't wear make-up for work. On the odd occasion I wear make-up to work because I'm going straight out from work, people do say I look "well", but I couldn't be bothered to do it every day. On the rare occasions I do bother, I wear tinted moisturiser, blusher, bronzer (both low-key), "smokey eye" and lip colour of some sort (depending on occasion).
  • Dustyblinds
    Options
    emma-6584 wrote: »
    I'm not at this stage yet but my Mum hit it many moons ago. She is 56 and instead of being sick of wearing it she just couldn't see what she was doing anymore. She had to put on her glasses to apply it properly, but this meant she couldn't do mascara or eye makeup :) in the end she just doesn't wear it at all anymore. Instead she has her eyelashes and eyebrows tinted to save her the hassle. Wears brightening and illuminating moisturizers - so no risk of streaking foundation and makes sure she always has her hair done. It makes her look younger really as there is no powder clumping in lines and it's all about the radiance.
    This is definitely how I feel, it was just getting too powdery and the wrinkles look worse with makeup. I'm going o see about having my eyelashes tinted though.
  • Dustyblinds
    Options
    Some great replies here, I'm definitely going to get a tinted moisturiser over the weekend. My daughter keeps telling me to get my eye lashes tinted, next time she goes to her salon to get her lashes and brows done I'm going to tag along with her. I have a fairly good skin care routine anyway and drink plenty of water. The only thing that bothers me is I sometimes suffer from redness of the skin, I get quite self conscious of this. It's worse in the winter when the heating is cranked up at work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport