Sick of wearing make-up

Options
Hi, title says it all really, I usually wear foundation, powder and blusher every day for work, sometimes mascara . I'm just getting a bit sick of it really. I'm 52 and starting to get wrinkles, so powder is making them look more prominent. I've been putting a bit of fake tan on my face but was thinking maybe I could just use a tinted moisturiser instead? What do others do when they get tired of putting make-up on? I don't feel confident enough to go bare faced, I would scare my work colleagues :rotfl:

Comments

• Waffle_On
    Waffle_On Posts: 408 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I got sick of wearing makeup and I just stopped. I only wear it on special occasions or when I have meetings with clients now. Chances are after a few days they won't even notice.
    Shrinking my mortgage!
    Nov 13 £166,000

Jan 17 £142,900
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I rarely wear makeup, I just can't be bothered with it, occasionally will wear some on a night out but that's it.
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    Never wear it but in partial answer to your question, the only make up I possess is tinted moisturiser and mascara for special events. Oh and some tinted lip balm which is quite nice.
    The moisturiser looks quite good on, quite natural.
  • Baby_Angel
    Baby_Angel Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wear only moisturiser, face powder and lipstick to work. I had some infection earlier this year and couldn't wear even that for about 2 weeks. No one even mentioned or noticed even though I had a horrible oily face.
    SPC 08 - #452 - £415
    SPC 09 - #452 - £298
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I rarely wear makeup and my friends are the same. If I feel I need a bit then I use blusher and mascara. If you have had enough then try cutting back slowly or stop all together.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,956 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have never really worn make up, but started for confidence when I got a new job. I just wanted the bare minimum so if I'm feeling washed out I use tinted moisturiser, mascara, blusher and lipstick. That's more in the winter - for colour in the summer when I've got a bit of a tan I don't bother with powder or tinted moisturiser at all. If it takes longer than five minutes to put on in the morning, it's too much. I am now tending more towards the bare faced look again with just a bit of lipstick.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think as we get older "less is more". Powders and heavy foundation seem to highlight wrinkles rather than disguise them.

I'm 64. I wear a moisturiser, and some bronzing powder, a natural looking lipstick, a flick of mascara, a hint of eyeshadow and because imhave very sparse eyebrows I also use eyebrow powder.

In the winter if I'm pale then I just use a very light textured tinted moisturiser and a bit of blusher.

My make up takes around 5 minutes or less.

The main thing is to concentrate on skin care, gentle but thorough cleansing, and a good moisturiser, lots of water and a healthy diet, rich in oily fish.

Don't go in for low fat diets, skin needs fats and oils. A supplement of Evening Primrose Oil is also beneficial at keeping skin looking plumped up and fending off wrinkles.

Regular gentle exfoliation will help Slough of dead skin cells which can make mature skin look tired, grey or sallow.

Make up is great and can enhance our looks but it is no substitute for a good skin care routine. It doesn't have to be heavy or elaborate, the simpler the better and a healthy natural look is more flattering than just slapping it on with a heavy handed trowel.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got fed up around 10 years ago and now only wear very little on the odd occasion, I also gave up dying my grey hair, Now 54 and feel 2 of the best decisions I have made were to let go of that. Saved a fortune too.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you feel you need it ( which I do) , consider having your eyelashes dyed.
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am 62, and have never worn foundation. I have very fair skin, so have always worn eye make up or my eyes would disappear! So, use eye shadow (mainly grey) eye liner and mascara. Also, always lipstick, but never bright shades. I used to use blusher years ago, but gave up on it for no real reason other than I couldn't be bothered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure