DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just popping in to say Hi! Good to see this juggernaut of a thread is still going, smashing into debt and creditors as it rumbles along. ;)

I'm just about surviving here, trying to live life debt free, and after getting rid of my debt on my own, I now have my inherited family to worry about (pocket money, school dinners, clothes etc) - I say kids and families are the root cause of all debt. :rotfl: That and cars anyway.

The two things I've learnt from it all, is that I tend to go without possessions, I wasted my money on junk, and now there isn't anything I ever need. The other is I've become a tinkerer. In the last month I've replaced another oven element, and also saved at least £150 repairing my car myself. I also service the car myself (well, change the oil), which I hadn't done for years! Need to do the coolant next.

Hope ya all ok!

P.S. Loving the new clean forum!
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    Does that mean GUO (even if Mr GUO isn't quite) will be DFD November :beer: that will be so soon, you won't believe it, that blimmin car of yours needs its own place on the thread all the grief it gives you (pats own old banger fondly so it doesn't get upset).

Yes it does! Ruddy car though, having just forked out to have it repaired last week, the engine warning light came on again today. Aaaaargghh! I don't know if it is a whole new problem or something to do with the repair, so it's back to the garage to see what's going on.

I am looking forward to being debt free although it doesn't feel like I should be celebrating yet as Mr. GUO still has his Halifax card. Hopefully once we've made our last DMP payment I can get Mr. GUO to not go on a spending spree and pay that card off pretty quickly - and then save for a new car:cool:
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • tequilabird
    Options
    Hey Sazzie,

Thanks for the advice! I will get on to them now.

Just spoken to mum and my Barclaycard debts have been passed to PRA Group....does anyone have any experience of this company? I'm scared now!

TB xx
    Lightbulb Moment: 18/01/2015 :j
    Current Debt: 31,869.62 :eek:
    DMP Start Date: 01/09/2015
    DFD: TBC but sooner rather than later, I hope! :beer:
  • tequilabird
    Options
    My other concern....mortgage deal is due to expire soon and I'll need a new one! Anyone been in this situation, I mean, on a DMP/in debt and needing a new mortgage deal?
  • tequilabird
    Options
    Hi Jon,

Have your Barclaycard debts been referred to PCA? I had a letter this morning saying the same after 4 months of token payments.

Tb x
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My other concern....mortgage deal is due to expire soon and I'll need a new one! Anyone been in this situation, I mean, on a DMP/in debt and needing a new mortgage deal?

It never made a difference for me, I changed once or twice and just went on another fixed rate with the same company (who was also a creditor). Not sure what would happen if you went to a different company though!
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • tequilabird
    Options
    Thanks Ian.....that's put my mind at rest for now :) Just spoken to SC too and full steam ahead with my DMP!! Hope they all accept the payments now :)
  • runforlife
    runforlife Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just want to shout out for those considering a DMP if you are at the beginning of the journey. It's easy to say but don't be scared. I started with debt due to divorce/separation of over £53000 in November 2013. We've now paid off over 20 percent of the debt and this month (pay day today) we have, due to careful budgeting over £1500 in our savings accounts for emergencies, holidays etc. It can be done. Be determined and careful. Good luck.
  • neiljmuk
    neiljmuk Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all! Edging closer to defaults across the board.

MBNA has defaulted one lot of debt and advised it may be sold, that the recipient could litigate blah blah. It's quite bitter in it's tone to be honest, like defaulting me is a defeat for them!

Can I just ask, if this debt which is now defaulted on is sold, will it show the new creditor on my credit file? More importantly will the debt still be defaulted debt irrespective of who it's passed around to, and if not, advice please?

Also, anyone got any experience of getting Argos to default. That's weird debt as it's broken in to regular debt and fixed payment plans with a lower rate of interest and no charges for apparently falling short of the minimum payment every month. Very disjointed but the debt on it's coming down.

Want to jolt them in to defaulting it though then if I get Lloyds CC and OD default which should be easy now they've defaulted the loan it's a full house, except Barclay card 1 and 2 but I've a few tricks up my sleeve for them. Might let them bring the card back in to service (which oddly is what they do) once enough is paid off with low interest, so long as the reintroduced interset rates are reasonable and the DMP is going good otherwise. Might sound a bit stupid but it would get the AP markers off 3 years from the cards being back in service, as opposed to 6 years after paying them off in full. For £20/£30 a months interest it might be a price worth paying as I sit in that, I need credit for a mortgage one day bracket.....
    LBM October 2014 :idea: DMP with StepChange as of March 2015
    Debt at Start of DMP 01/03/15: [STRIKE]£36,282.69[/STRIKE] :eek:
    Debt Now: £33,993.48 :j
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    neiljmuk wrote: »
    Hi all! Edging closer to defaults across the board.

MBNA has defaulted one lot of debt and advised it may be sold, that the recipient could litigate blah blah. It's quite bitter in it's tone to be honest, like defaulting me is a defeat for them!

Can I just ask, if this debt which is now defaulted on is sold, will it show the new creditor on my credit file? More importantly will the debt still be defaulted debt irrespective of who it's passed around to, and if not, advice please?

Also, anyone got any experience of getting Argos to default. That's weird debt as it's broken in to regular debt and fixed payment plans with a lower rate of interest and no charges for apparently falling short of the minimum payment every month. Very disjointed but the debt on it's coming down.

Want to jolt them in to defaulting it though then if I get Lloyds CC and OD default which should be easy now they've defaulted the loan it's a full house, except Barclay card 1 and 2 but I've a few tricks up my sleeve for them. Might let them bring the card back in to service (which oddly is what they do) once enough is paid off with low interest, so long as the reintroduced interset rates are reasonable and the DMP is going good otherwise. Might sound a bit stupid but it would get the AP markers off 3 years from the cards being back in service, as opposed to 6 years after paying them off in full. For £20/£30 a months interest it might be a price worth paying as I sit in that, I need credit for a mortgage one day bracket.....

I see where you are going with BC but be careful, one of the things that pushed bump into a DMP was when 2 of my cards went up to 29.9% interest just because I was an increased risk (I hadn't missed a since payment), and the 0% on another card was withdrawn before I had chance to switch. Probably your circs will be different as the debt would be coming down but thought I'd just say it's not always straightforward.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills