🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,049 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 February 2017 at 2:16PM
    Options
    alianza wrote: »
    And now i have had a letter from the DCA that bought a loan debt of over £15000. Again can someone please tell me if it is still possible to send them a CCA request even though they were on my other DMP for 3 or 4 years is it too late or can I send one in now before i start my own dmp with them? This loan was from 2006 and defaulted about 2012 if i remember correctly.

Hi,

The ONLY restriction on the sending of CCA requests, is that there must be a balance outstanding on the account you CCA.

Thats it, makes no odds if you've paid it religiously since day one, or never paid at thing, you are entitled to this information at any time, it is your right under sec 77-79 consumer credit act 1974.

Use this template letter from National Debtline :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Information-about-your-agreement-under-the-Consumer-Credit-Act-%28sole-name%29.aspx

Dont forget to include the £1 statutory payment, in the form of a cheque or postal order.

Get writing !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 10 February 2017 at 2:22PM
    Options
    :doh:
    alianza wrote: »
    And now i have had a letter from the DCA that bought a loan debt of over £15000. Again can someone please tell me if it is still possible to send them a CCA request even though they were on my other DMP for 3 or 4 years is it too late or can I send one in now before i start my own dmp with them? This loan was from 2006 and defaulted about 2012 if i remember correctly.

Sorry no one has been on here and answered your questions, alianza. I expect someone like sourcrates will be along soon to put you right:)

I don't know the answer myself although I imagine you can do it at any time you still have a debt with someone. I was planning to send CCAs to some of mine and I've been on a DMP for 4 years. Just wanted to reply to you so you know we aren't ignoring you:). It goes quiet on here sometimes, then there are so many posts one after the other that it takes ages to catch up;)

Good luck:beer:

Doh:doh: Crossed posts. sourcrates and I must have been typing at the same time:rotfl:
  • Billy12345
    Options
    Afternoon all

I'm sure someone has already answered this in the distant past but I cant seem to find it...doh

Anyway regards CCA, if the paperwork cannot be provided does this mean the debt is unenforceable, if so does it still have to be repaid ? Without the paperwork how can a creditor enforce payment, obviously they cant do it through the courts without the CCA documentation.

If they can enforce repayment what is the bonus for asking for whether they have the paperwork ?

Sorry if this sounds confusing.....
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,049 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Billy12345 wrote: »
    Afternoon all

I'm sure someone has already answered this in the distant past but I cant seem to find it...doh

Anyway regards CCA, if the paperwork cannot be provided does this mean the debt is unenforceable, if so does it still have to be repaid ? Without the paperwork how can a creditor enforce payment, obviously they cant do it through the courts without the CCA documentation.

If they can enforce repayment what is the bonus for asking for whether they have the paperwork ?

If they cant find the original paperwork, and they dont hold enough information on you to reconstitute a copy, then yes, the agreement cannot be enforced through the courts.

Short of saying "please pay us" theres nothing else they can do to make you pay.

You can either walk away, or offer a small sum to settle.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon all

The debt is unenforceable until a CCA which meets prescribed T&Cs is provided. Being unenforceable does not mean you do not owe the amount, just that creditors/DCAs will not be able to use any legal routes to recover the debt. They might still chase you, but sending a copy of a letter from the creditor stating they are unable to provide a copy of the CCA should shoo them away nicely. The other alternative if you want to make the debt and chasing go away altogether is to negotiate a really low settlement offer on the debt if they can't provide the CCA. We've done that with one of our debts.

Even if creditors do provide what seems to be a compliant CCA if the debt is old then it's worth getting the CCA checked by someone with knowledge of what they are looking for. I think anything pre 2008 is worth checking but Sourcrates will let you know more on that I expect.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Billy12345
    Billy12345 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 February 2017 at 3:34PM
    Options
    The debt is unenforceable until a CCA which meets prescribed T&Cs is provided. Being unenforceable does not mean you do not owe the amount, just that creditors/DCAs will not be able to use any legal routes to recover the debt. They might still chase you, but sending a copy of a letter from the creditor stating they are unable to provide a copy of the CCA should shoo them away nicely. The other alternative if you want to make the debt and chasing go away altogether is to negotiate a really low settlement offer on the debt if they can't provide the CCA. We've done that with one of our debts.

Even if creditors do provide what seems to be a compliant CCA if the debt is old then it's worth getting the CCA checked by someone with knowledge of what they are looking for. I think anything pre 2008 is worth checking but Sourcrates will let you know more on that I expect.

Thanks January, great advice as always.

Thats the next thing to do on my list then, are thereany standard letters out there I could use ? I doubt the creditors wont have them but you never know. :beer:
  • January2015
    Options
    Thanks January, great advice as always.

Thats the next thing to do on my list then, are thereany standard letters out there I could use ? I doubt the creditors wont have them but you never know. :beer:
    One of our creditors supplied ours - but it wasn't compliant (even though it did look as though it was). I was just going to accept it but fantastic advice from Sourcrates and others sent me seeking further advice - which was that it was definitely unenforceable:j

I can't find the link to the CCA template letter - again I'm sure Sourcrates will be able to help :)
  • January2015
    Options
  • Billy12345
    Options

Fantastic thanks January, I'd better buy some stamps next week, unless i can email them across to the creditors.:money:
  • Keezing
    Keezing Posts: 322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Fantastic thanks January, I'd better buy some stamps next week, unless i can email them across to the creditors.:money:

Best to send them Royal Mail Signed For, at least that way you know they've been delivered.

Royal Mail lost 4 of my letters. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't paid for Signed For.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport