🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• 2017spark
    Options
    Evening all, just sat cancelling all my direct debits for the various cards etc as SC have set up my plan and it's all systems go now.
    Silly but I feel really guilty! Guilty of taking their money and not paying it back - I know I will be paying it back, but at a much slower rate.
    Did anyone else feel like this?!
    X
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    2017spark wrote: »
    Evening all, just sat cancelling all my direct debits for the various cards etc as SC have set up my plan and it's all systems go now.
    Silly but I feel really guilty! Guilty of taking their money and not paying it back - I know I will be paying it back, but at a much slower rate.
    X

HI spark

I have felt like this a couple of times and mines not even started yet but to be honest its either their full payments every month or my sanity, health, marriage and mental health. Our own fault I know and accept that BUT they are getting their money albeit a little slower but remember you have faced up to it and are dealing with it. You are not burying your head and ignoring it.

Hark at me dishing out advice. :rotfl:
    I will be back on soon probably saying the same things you are but I'm trying to stay positive.

We are in the same boat and dread to think where I would be now if I hadn't asked for advice from the lovely people on here.

Good luck with it all
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • alianza
    alianza Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

And well done for choosing to self manage, lots of good advice available to you here.

Despite what you may of heard, sometimes debt collectors can take a long time to write to you in these situations, months, even years.

It's just a case of waiting till they do.

Another thing, if your debts have been passed around a lot, maybe when they do write to you, bang in CCA requests to see if the accounts are still enforceable.

My DMP company stopped in October and I didn't have details of how to carry on paying. I have now had contact from 3 of the creditors. I paid off one with the help of my sister and another I set up a standing order. Those were both bank overdraft debts. I have just tonight been phoned by a DCA enquiring why my payments stopped in October on my two CC debts they have. I told them politely to write to me with their account details as I was just about to go out .He then started asking all sorts of questions about my circumstances so i told him to stick it all in a letter and deal with post only from now on., call ended and another number added to my blocked list. I see previously i was told if they contact me to bang in a CCA request which I can do. Is it ok to do this even though my previous dmp had been paying them for a couple of years. i never knew to do this before. The CC were both taken out in the mid 1990s, i stopped paying them during a messy divorce in 2010 and they passed to the dca in 2012.. The DCA is PRA group.
    And still waiting on another DCA to contact me about the other CC debt.
  • motivated wrote: »
    Hi BDFSH and thankyou for replying

Both BC letters say
    We're very sorry about your circumstances and want to help give you some breathing space by putting your account on hold until further notice. This means we won't ask for any outstanding payments and you won't be charged any further fees or interest for the full time your account is on hold.

The message I received via the secure messaging service said they will put the account on hold for 30 days and the letter doesn't mention this so I'm unsure.
    M

We were one of the lucky few who never had any trouble with BC - they sent a very similar letter to us that you have received when we started our DMP and never added any further interest until we were finally defaulted last year - then they backdated the default to the start of the DMP without us even asking!!!!

Fingers firmly crossed they do the same for you :)

Take care,

BDFSH x
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thankyou BDFSH

I hope they are as sympathetic to us too. I plan to keep them updated on how things are going before our DMP starts and hopefully they will be gentle with us :)

M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    motivated wrote: »
    HI spark

I have felt like this a couple of times and mines not even started yet but to be honest its either their full payments every month or my sanity, health, marriage and mental health. Our own fault I know and accept that BUT they are getting their money albeit a little slower but remember you have faced up to it and are dealing with it. You are not burying your head and ignoring it.

Hark at me dishing out advice. :rotfl:
    I will be back on soon probably saying the same things you are but I'm trying to stay positive.

We are in the same boat and dread to think where I would be now if I hadn't asked for advice from the lovely people on here.

Good luck with it all
    M

Great advice Motivated, would just add, that it's not YOUR fault, it's the fault of circumstances, if you'd got that pay rise, not got sick, divorced or had kids, whatever it was that got you here, if that hadn't happened you'd probably still have been paying back the money with interest.

Just focus on getting your budget right so you can live again, while still paying something back and you'll find it all slots into place.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    2017spark wrote: »
    X

I think the majority of us felt guilty at the start, I know the guilt was a major factor for me. I had been loyal to one bank for 25 years and felt awful not paying the full amount. The feeling of betrayal and loyalty soon disappeared when I realised I wasn't anything other than an account number to them:(

You need to do the best for you and if a DMP and reduced payments is best for you then so be it:)

I wish you Good Luck:)

Ellie x
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I've not posted on this thread for a while but I have been plugging away at my debt and now I have just 19 days left before I am debt-free:j

For all of you that are starting out, it is daunting at the beginning and you are going into the unknown but now you have made that decision, stick with it, you won't be disappointed:)

It might not always be plain sailing but the rewards are huge and are worth it. I started out with over £46k of debt and I had sunk to levels of despair I didn't even want to think about. Going onto a DMP has been my saviour.

I now have a debt-free life to look forward to and I have changed my attitude to money, I budget for the things I need and still live a decent life. I won't lie, it has sometimes been very hard but I wouldn't change a thing.

Good Luck to you all;)

Ellie x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What a lovely post, Ellie. Sums up perfectly how a lot of us have felt:T. You and your story have been the inspiration for a lot of others on here, me in particular:A
  • alianza
    alianza Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alianza wrote: »
    My DMP company stopped in October and I didn't have details of how to carry on paying. I have now had contact from 3 of the creditors. I paid off one with the help of my sister and another I set up a standing order. Those were both bank overdraft debts. I have just tonight been phoned by a DCA enquiring why my payments stopped in October on my two CC debts they have. I told them politely to write to me with their account details as I was just about to go out .He then started asking all sorts of questions about my circumstances so i told him to stick it all in a letter and deal with post only from now on., call ended and another number added to my blocked list. I see previously i was told if they contact me to bang in a CCA request which I can do. Is it ok to do this even though my previous dmp had been paying them for a couple of years. i never knew to do this before. The CC were both taken out in the mid 1990s, i stopped paying them during a messy divorce in 2010 and they passed to the dca in 2012.. The DCA is PRA group.
    And still waiting on another DCA to contact me about the other CC debt.

And now i have had a letter from the DCA that bought a loan debt of over £15000. Again can someone please tell me if it is still possible to send them a CCA request even though they were on my other DMP for 3 or 4 years is it too late or can I send one in now before i start my own dmp with them? This loan was from 2006 and defaulted about 2012 if i remember correctly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport