DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• changeforbetter
    changeforbetter Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 September 2016 at 9:28AM
    Options
    Don't worry about it, it's a simple and straightforward process:).

No, you don't need to send any paperwork:j. They may want something if there's been some really major change of circumstances but I've never sent anything to them in my 3 reviews.

Thanks carboot, glad it sounds ok to deal with.

Just wondering if that would still apply if (for example) your income had changed, or would they need to use paperwork then? Did much change for yours (without wishing to pry too much :D) over the 3, or were they the same?

(Edit: Just saw Sazzie's reply above also suggesting it's fairly straightforward, thanks.)
  • heavenlyharry01
    Options
    Hi everyone, after following this thread silently for a few years I have finally taken the plunge and hope to give back some help that I have recieved. Started DMP with SC nearly eight years ago £74235 over 9 creditors my stories not much different to many no outlandish living, hours cut back, child came along filling the "gap" with our flexible friends, you all know the story. LBM Mar 2009 had to pay mortgage with last drop of cash on CC:eek: .Rang stechange and it changed our lives forever. We now have £15000 left to pay and will be debt free end of 2017:D Ihave learned a few things along the way so I hope I can be of help to some one cheers LL

Thanks for that....sounds similar to our situation. We've literally just sent the paperwork back to StepChange...hoping our outcome is as positive as yours
  • lesson_learned
    lesson_learned Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 20 September 2016 at 10:05AM
    Options
    for heavenlyharry01(just getting used to posting sorry it is not under you post.)

Having been in the same position with regard to the wonderful "Together mortgage", this is how I came to an arrangement with them.As SC say the unsecured element is exactly the same as any other unsecuered borrrowing, so comes under the DMP. It took me about three years of phone calls and constantly watching my account and getting them to reallocate the money correctly to get sorted. Firstly NRAM's system can only split any DD in the proportion of the original split between the mortgage and the loan. For example if your total payment for the mortgage is £80- £60 to secured and £20 to the loan, you then just want to pay the secured (so you don't lose your home) while SC pay the unsecured, your secured payment if done by DD will still be split the same way leaving you with arrears on your secured-not good. I originally ended up using a standing order to pay the secured element while SC payed the loan element in line with all other creditors. I can't remember why but I now pay my secured part by debit card( lucky enough to still have an account with one) and SC pay the secured element, I have to ring NRAM every month, but I have found it to be by far the best and easiest way. I always found it easier ringing and talking with them( although the did seek a CCJ but backed off when they realised SC were helping me and I was commited to paying) I am not sure how it would have been if I had taken the written approach, as things were done as soon as I rang. I was moved to Landmark last month, and am paying the same way and it has been a smooth transition(so far). NRAM's unsecured lending department set up an arrangement for 6 months to start (you get written confirmation) and they also update it whenever you do a SC review. Whatever you do keep an eye on your statements to make sure what you think is happening is ! If you have any more questions let me know. cheer LL
  • It was scary at first,but once you realise the worry of wandering how you are going to buy food next week has gone and no-one is going to come round and drag you out of your house and throw you on the streets(as along as you stick to your agreed payments). You will get the best nights sleep you have had in years. Don't get me wrong it will be tough at times, no is extremely hard to say especially to kids, but two or three years time you will not believe how much better you will feel. :) LL
  • Thanks carboot, glad it sounds ok to deal with.

Just wondering if that would still apply if (for example) your income had changed, or would they need to use paperwork then? Did much change for yours (without wishing to pry too much :D) over the 3, or were they the same?

(Edit: Just saw Sazzie's reply above also suggesting it's fairly straightforward, thanks.)

You're not prying at all, we're all here to help each other from our own experience:). I'm always glad to help but am still on a learning curve myself;)

My circumstances changed barely at all as far as income went and are not likely to during the life of my DMP (about another three and a half years to go). I did have a nightmare few months when I had massive car repair bills, desperately needed new specs, unexpected emergency vet bills struck and my washing machine totally died:eek:. I had to go down to token payments for 3 months after talking to SC so I could pay for the essentials as I hadn't budgeted anywhere near enough for emergencies and of course had no access to credit.

They didn't ask for any proof that I'd had these expenses and none of my creditors batted an eye or contacted me about the reductions.
  • blisteringblue
    Options
    Payday so siggy update day !! Getting closer to 50% paid !!

Annoyingly had a 2 year old parking ticket appeal rejected yesterday (POPLA long story) but still not paying and will take that one all the way to court. You know how I love a good fight :mad:
  • changeforbetter
    Options
    You're not prying at all, we're all here to help each other from our own experience:). I'm always glad to help but am still on a learning curve myself;)

My circumstances changed barely at all as far as income went and are not likely to during the life of my DMP (about another three and a half years to go). I did have a nightmare few months when I had massive car repair bills, desperately needed new specs, unexpected emergency vet bills struck and my washing machine totally died:eek:. I had to go down to token payments for 3 months after talking to SC so I could pay for the essentials as I hadn't budgeted anywhere near enough for emergencies and of course had no access to credit.

They didn't ask for any proof that I'd had these expenses and none of my creditors batted an eye or contacted me about the reductions.

Wow, sounds like a fun time! Glad it improved for you after that.
    Many thanks for the heads up though. :)
  • heavenlyharry01
    Options
    for heavenlyharry01(just getting used to posting sorry it is not under you post.)

Having been in the same position with regard to the wonderful "Together mortgage", this is how I came to an arrangement with them.As SC say the unsecured element is exactly the same as any other unsecuered borrrowing, so comes under the DMP. It took me about three years of phone calls and constantly watching my account and getting them to reallocate the money correctly to get sorted. Firstly NRAM's system can only split any DD in the proportion of the original split between the mortgage and the loan. For example if your total payment for the mortgage is £80- £60 to secured and £20 to the loan, you then just want to pay the secured (so you don't lose your home) while SC pay the unsecured, your secured payment if done by DD will still be split the same way leaving you with arrears on your secured-not good. I originally ended up using a standing order to pay the secured element while SC payed the loan element in line with all other creditors. I can't remember why but I now pay my secured part by debit card( lucky enough to still have an account with one) and SC pay the secured element, I have to ring NRAM every month, but I have found it to be by far the best and easiest way. I always found it easier ringing and talking with them( although the did seek a CCJ but backed off when they realised SC were helping me and I was commited to paying) I am not sure how it would have been if I had taken the written approach, as things were done as soon as I rang. I was moved to Landmark last month, and am paying the same way and it has been a smooth transition(so far). NRAM's unsecured lending department set up an arrangement for 6 months to start (you get written confirmation) and they also update it whenever you do a SC review. Whatever you do keep an eye on your statements to make sure what you think is happening is ! If you have any more questions let me know. cheer LL

Thank you so much.
    I wonder if StepChange now have more experience of dealing with NRAM??
    They sent us a template letter which I've posted and my husband spoke to the Finacual Hardship Team at NRAM, they were pleasant. Said interest will be stopped on the loan IF they agree to the payments.
    I need to set up the standing order (wIting for a card reader from NatWest) and I have a different account no for the mortgage and loan (one ends 01 they other 02)) so hoping the payment gets to the right one!!
    Thanks do your advice.
    I was looking into the together mortgages the other day, and seems so many people were told, like us, what a great idea they were!
  • make_the_change
    Options
    If you receive a default notice, does this mean your account will be defaulted? Thanks!
    DMP Started June 2016
  • blisteringblue
    Options
    If you receive a default notice, does this mean your account will be defaulted? Thanks!

Who knows, while it should do a lot of letters are titled default to get your attention.

We had what we thought was a default notice for Mrs BB's Barclaycard in Sept 2015, only to not get any other correspondence and then we get a similar letter Sept 2016 saying exactly the same thing but a different DCA in charge this time. Until we get our first letter from said DCA saying who to pay they remain on token payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure