Replies

• edited 18 April at 5:13PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 April at 5:13PM
    Hi everyone

All quiet here with my girls as they have mostly been sunbathing this weekend and keeping out of mischief. Eating too of course but heaps of sunbathing going on which is great to see especially as they go all floppy and lean on things and totally chill, bless 'em. I could just sit and watch them for hours.  Lots of dustbathing going on too because the soil is so dry now as we have not had any rain for a while. Shouldn't grumble really but we would like just a little rain to water the seeds we have sown so far. Without rain, we have already started using stored water from our water butts which is a little early for us but I suppose at least we have the water butts full from the Winter months.

How are everyone else's girls? All harmony in the camp I hope. I do love it when there is harmony with mine I must say.  

Nothing much to report here, to be honest at the moment. I have taken some more pictures so will pop them on here when I get a moment.

Edwink x

*3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    *Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating
    *2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - Hybrid Toyota Auris car
    1 Cayuga duck Hoppy & 17 ex-battery hens - RIP Pingu
    Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all 😊

Yes, plenty of sunbathing going on here too. I've been sitting on a blanket in the garden this weekend and they all come and gather round me, sometimes even sitting with me to sunbathe 😊😊 Love it when they do that. Not managed a picture, it always disturbs them, but here are the three older ladies coming over to investigate yesterday...

Mortgage end date at start: Feb 2043
    Mortgage end date now: Feb 2033
  • edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

Hope you and your girls are all keeping well.

All ok here with mine except one of my girls has laid 2 lash eggs.  With 18 here it is hard to tell who laid them but in fact, even if you have fewer hens it is still a bit hard to find out who it was.  I have put some fresh chopped garlic in their water containers which does help their immune systems.  They are drinking the water ok and are not put off by the taste of the garlic.  I have closely watched all my girls today and none of them appear to be unwell and all are out and about sunbathing or getting up to mischief.  I'll just keep a close eye on them for a while to see if I spot one of them not being themselves.

I know one of your hens laid lash eggs some time ago Cheery and you put some links on here so I won't add one unless anyone wants me to. 

Besides that, at the moment there is harmony in the camp.  I have taken some pictures over the weekend so will add them on here when I get a quiet 10 minutes.

Hope all your girls are being good Cheery and are not playing you up too much 🤣🤣🤣  Loved the laying outside with a blanket and hens for company, how cute. 

Take care all.

Edwink x
    *3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    Hens & ducks chat thread
  • edited 27 April at 7:56PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April at 7:56PM

Hi everyone

I've been keeping a very close eye on all my girls and am still none the wiser as to who laid those 2 Lash eggs.  All the girls are bobbing about here there and everywhere, happy to be out of hen lockdown I'm sure 😘 Bless 'em.

I'll keep checking on them over the coming days but so far they all look healthy and in pretty good spirits to me, which is great.  They do enjoy being out in the sun that's for sure.  There has been so much sunbathing going on here with this lovely weather, the hens I mean not me because I am really not someone who likes to sunbathe, I'd much rather be up and about pottering or doing something useful.

Edwink x
    Hens & ducks chat thread
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear all your ladies are doing well edwink, hope those lash eggs were just a one off (or two off!)

All fine here, all ladies happily wandering around - well, at the minute they're still in the run. I tend to let them out of their house and into the run very first thing, but then let them out of the run into the garden just before I start work at 9, so I'll go and do that in a minute. By then they're usually shouting at me! :lol: 
  • edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all

Hope everyone and their hens are all doing well.

We are still non the wiser to which hen laid those gross Lash eggs as the girls are all bobbing about here there and everywhere as per normal. I'm always pleased to see them like that, to be honest, utter loonies they are. Just hoping those Lash eggs were a one off or two as the case may be.

Decided to keep them in their coop today as the weather here is vile and has hardly stopped raining.  We went out along the front of the houses and shoveled up more than a few dandelions, bunches of grass and weeds to keep them occupied whilst in the coop. OMG, they went berserk when we tipped the bucket out in several places in there. So that will keep them busy for the rest of the day, I expect.  We hate keeping them in but now their coop has its own roof it just makes sense because it is totally dry in there. Not that they are that bothered, I'm sure, crazy birds 🤣🤣🤣

Take care everyone.

Edwink x

Hens & ducks chat thread
    11.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear they're all doing ok Edwink! 

Ours have been in for a week now because I spotted a fox sitting in one of our fields just behind the house at lunchtime last Wednesday 😮😮😮 Scared it off, and immediately put the ladies in their secure run, but it made us quite paranoid. I mean, I always knew something could happen, but to see it there in broad daylight, right in the middle of the day 😮😮

So they've been in all week 😕 and Mr Cheery has been going out for an hour or two each day and sitting in the outer bit of their run with them (the outer bit isn't fox proof so we're not leaving them in there alone). I fetched them out for a couple of hours at the weekend to potter round the garden with me - got quite paranoid when they wandered off though, had to keep following them which was quite annoying as I was trying to get stuff done in the garden and they were wandering off to their favourite spots in the field! 

Not entirely sure what to do. In reality it was probably always there and we'd just not seen it before, but it does make you quite worried!
  • edited 13 May at 6:02PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 May at 6:02PM
    Hi cheery

Oh no, not a fox, crikey, and where you live too.  You wouldn't honestly think you would see a fox where you are right in the middle of nowhere. I totally agree it does make you worried, I'm still the same here and it is horrible.  We had always been relaxed like you with our hens being out and about and were like that for 10 years until that fox got in one day.  That blooming fox has changed everything with us and we now feel we need eyes in the back of our heads keeping the girls safe. I absolutely loved the relaxed way everything was before and must admit I miss it tremendously 😞😞😞😞
    The thing with foxes, as in with our situation, is once they get to the girls and kill them they as a rule will only take one away with them and then continue to come back for each and every one of them if they can.  Basically acting as though they have a larder so he/she can go back and forth collecting one when they want to.  After our fox attack, we found him here again and we scared it off the best we could and thankfully never saw him again. All has been ok for quite some time only to be told lately by 2 separate people there is another fox sniffing about here now.

I do hope you have totally scarred that fox off Cheery.  What a worrying time for you both, I really do feel for you. All you can do is the same as you are currently doing and be extra vigilant when they are out and about with you or Mr Cheery. 

Take care

Edwink x
    Hens & ducks chat thread
  • in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning
    It's a long time since I wrote anything on here but I often read
    My oldest girl died two weeks ago after laying a final egg in the morning. This left just one lonely 4 year old pet hen (not laid for over a year)
    My son surprised me yesterday when he arrived home with 10 ex-battery hens. They are all alert but are almost bald and so incredibly pale. They explored their new run but unfortunately after 30 minutes the heavens opened with a loud and heavy hail storm and then rain. They ran into the hen-hut and most haven't ventured out since. I checked at 6am then every hour and the most outside so far is 4. All seem alert and there is much discussion and 6 eggs so far.
    When they are stronger I'll introduce some of them to my old hen
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • edited 22 May at 8:04PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 May at 8:04PM
    in_my_wellies said: Good morning It's a long time since I wrote anything on here but I often read
    My oldest girl died two weeks ago after laying a final egg in the morning. This left just one lonely 4 year old pet hen (not laid for over a year)
    My son surprised me yesterday when he arrived home with 10 ex-battery hens. They are all alert but are almost bald and so incredibly pale. They explored their new run but unfortunately after 30 minutes the heavens opened with a loud and heavy hail storm and then rain. They ran into the hen-hut and most haven't ventured out since. I checked at 6am then every hour and the most outside so far is 4. All seem alert and there is much discussion and 6 eggs so far.
    When they are stronger I'll introduce some of them to my old hen

Hi in my wellies

So glad to see you on here again.  Life and other things often get in the way though, don't they?  It's been that way for me this past month or so as we have been so busy with veg sowing and the like and trying to move the hens feed store. 

Aww, just your one elderly lady until your son brought home your new ex-battery girls.  Sad they often arrive bald and looking rather disheveled but they soon grow their feathers back and start to look completely different which is always lovely to see.  So I am guessing that you will have the same trouble as me in naming your new girls. I have names for some of them, the ones that stand out that is but the others mostly look alike, bless 'em.

I am guessing they will have ventured out of their hut by now.  Hope all is going well with them and that they are settling in nicely. I am sure they will reward you with plenty of nice fresh eggs when they are all healthy enough and not looking so pale.

Do let us know how it goes with them, especially introducing them to your remaining old lady hen. 

Edwink x
    Hens & ducks chat thread