We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That's good news!

All those hens won't know they're born!
    Or hatched! :D

Stand well back when you open the door! I bet they'll all be somersaulting with glee! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,722 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well I don't actually have any hens yet Pyxis :o :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm just excited on behalf of other people's hens :D but yes, I bet they will be somersaulting :D videos please :D

(On a kind of related note, we have acquired six pregnant cows on loan from a nearby farmer for lawnmowing purposes - mostly they just lie around (being eight months pregnant) but occasionally one does a bit of a sprint and jump across the field. Excellent fun)

:D
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 25 May 2018 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Thank you so much Cheery Daff for breaking the good news on here x

Here is the Gov.UK link if others would like to read the good news. When the page loads you will need to scroll down the page a little until you get to the highlighted text which says "current situation".

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-winter-2017-to-2018

Hoorah my girls are out free ranging as I type this. Hubby has just let them all out.

THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS IT REALLY IS. I AM SO HAPPY!!

HAPPY DAYS chicken-run-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well I don't actually have any hens yet Pyxis :o :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm just excited on behalf of other people's hens :D but yes, I bet they will be somersaulting :D videos please :D

(On a kind of related note, we have acquired six pregnant cows on loan from a nearby farmer for lawnmowing purposes - mostly they just lie around (being eight months pregnant) but occasionally one does a bit of a sprint and jump across the field. Excellent fun)

:D

I remember seeing a clip of cows that had been let out for the first time since winter ended, and it's amazing how such heavy beasts can leap and gambol with joy!

Were your hens all excited Edwink?

You might have trouble getting them back in tonight! :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edwink
    edited 25 May 2018 at 9:05PM
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    I remember seeing a clip of cows that had been let out for the first time since winter ended, and it's amazing how such heavy beasts can leap and gambol with joy!

Were your hens all excited Edwink?

You might have trouble getting them back in tonight! :D

I saw that clip of the cows leaping about. It was beautiful to watch. I think it was the farmer that didn't let them out because the ground was too wet or something. Great clip they were leaping all over the place.

Talking of having trouble getting them in they are normally in bed by now because it was a little bit dark with the tarpaulin covering their coop. They are currently playing with grass cuttings in the old strawberry bed, bless 'em. Doesn't look as if they are ready to go in at all. Obviously making the most of it tonight.

I am so happy with the news, I really am. I hated seeing them stuck in the coop as my rescue girls have always been allowed out and about. Because of their ages it will probably be their last summer so I was dreading the ban going on and on and on until summer was over. I'm happy and they are too :)

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    So lovely to hear about your ladies :j :j

We live near a dairy farm now and the cows have been in the shed all winter (literally November/December til May, which is common apparently) - I saw them on the morning they got let out and they were indeed boinging about :D a joy to behold :j

Sorry, let's get back to chickens :D
  • edwink
    edited 25 May 2018 at 9:16PM
    Options
    To explain what Pyxis, Cheery Daff and I are talking about. These cows are certainly enjoying themselves.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKU2E0N8ja4

Edwink
  • edwink
    edited 2 June 2018 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Lots of sunbathing going on here today with my girls and boys. Although a few of the ex-batts found it a bit warm so spent some of the afternoon on their perch which hubby built for them under a bush for some shelter. They looked really comfortable up there and rather chilled out which was nice for them.

My little old Bluebell hen has got mites. Bless her heart she is so quite now and I'm not surprised they must be driving her mad. Didn't notice anything was wrong with her until Friday when we picked her up as we noticed she was quite that day. Checking her over we spotted the mites so she has now has been powdered all over. Bless her she was so good and just sat on the grass letting us puff the powder on any bare skin we could see them running about on plus a few other areas for good measures. She is so tame she nearly nodded off when I lifted her up once she had been powdered and put her on my lap. She just he rested her head on my arm and within 5 minutes she was almost a sleep. She (our only non ex-bat) is 6 on Thursday so getting on a bit now but all in all doing well and her feathers are in a super condition with no little bald patches or anything like that. Blooming mites are an absolute pest but treating her quickly should get rid of them pretty swiftly, well hopefully anyway. Will check on her again tomorrow to see if the powder has done the trick and if we do find any running about on her we will just powder her again.

What is happening with everyone else and their hens? I bet you are all happy now all covers are off now that the restrictions are no longer in place. It seemed to go on for months and months this time round. We have only experienced those restrictions twice in all the years we have kept poultry so I hope we don't get them back again. Would be nice wouldn't it?

Anyway all from me for now. Will catch up with everyone soon.

Edwink
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Aw, your poor Bluebell. Hope she's mite-free soon. Why haven't the others got them too?

I've noticed there's a rescue an hour from me next weekend.... But I'm nowhere near ready with my coop yet (er, it still doesn't exist although I do have a base for it now!) :o :rotfl:

But will it ever exist unless I have an actual deadline?!

Still fussing about what to make it out of, how to make it cleanable etc. Coming up with all manner of fancy designs but in reality I think we just need to start with *something* and tweak it once we know what we're doing....
  • dizzybee
    dizzybee Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi, everyone , not posted in a while but on the 23rd June i shall become chicken mummy l to five little hens just sorting the garden out and buliding the hutch and coop ,

SPC no:076
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure