Origin Broadband - any good

Options

Comments

• jojomomo
    jojomomo Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Rubidium wrote: »
    Pot, Kettle, Black from a Talk Talk customer!

:rotfl:

I know. That's the problem. All ISP's seem horrible. I have had BT and Sky, neither were great. Yes I have read bad reviews about Origin, but when I looked up others, they all have lots of complaints too. So I figured if I have to be an unhappy customer, I might as well do so as cheaply as possible. :j
  • sara
    Options
    Worst service I have experienced, moved from Talk Talk and regretting it. A minimum of an hour on hold before they answer. 7 days without internet, have been promised call backs but no one rings!
  • Cactus_Jack
    Options
    Currently trying to scope out if Origin are any good and if TalkTalk are still bad.

Just gonna give up for the day after reading this thread!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rubidium wrote: »
    Pot, Kettle, Black from a Talk Talk customer!

:rotfl:
    Say no more !
    http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Tr-Wa/Trolls.html#ixzz4XWUX2iB9
  • Savyman91
    Options
    First time poster here, I have just moved into a property and taken out ADSL broadband with Origin I was advised when doing line checks I would receive 17MBPS Maximum, due to this coming from a phone line I was skeptical. Since the broadband was connected on the 17/01/2017 I receive on average 0.02 MBPS Download and 0.33 MBPS upload, I really want to cancel this however when attempting to phone the company I am on hold for over an hour each time, when I finally spoke to a member of staff I was informed that I have to give origin 8 weeks to attempt to fix the issue, I thought that consumer law gave me a 30 day "cooling off period" from connection however I cannot find any mention of this on OFCOMS website I have read the terms on Origin and they loosely echo what was advised to me on the phone. The below extract is from Origin's Terms of Service;

As a Residential customer of Origin Broadband, you have the right to cancel without charge 14 days from the point of ordering our service, or until one working day before any service you order with us goes live, whichever comes first. If you cancel, you will be required to return any equipment to us, and we will reimburse any postage fees (to a maximum of £3.50).

After this point, you will be required to pay a charge to end your services with us, as Origin will incur a cost to cease your connection. If you would like to transfer your service to a new address, we will support you with this, but a reasonable move charge, and a new minimum term will apply.

Can someone please advise on what to do further, I just want to cancel this broadband and try again else where.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've always thought it was just 14 days and as you have noted it is from date of order and not valid after the service goes live. In fact if they didn't install until 20 days after the order, you would not be able to cancel penalty free for some days before service began.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you move ISP its down the same line (unlessVm) and potentially the same problem .
    Have you measured this over WiFi or via Ethernet cable .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're way past the cooling off period I'm afraid. I have ADSL myself (just using the phone line) and have been logging my speeds for years using speedtest.net. My maximum is 19.3Mbps and is usually around 18.5Mpbs so 17Mbps is easily attainable dependent on where your nearest exchange is and the number of subscribers on your line.

Origin should be walking you through this but if you've got a BT socket then the first thing to try is to plug the router directly into the master socket behind the faceplate and preferably your PC hardwired into the router. That rules out any internal wiring or WiFi issues.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2017 at 12:59PM
    Options
    There are a couple of things to point out, it could be Origin didn't explain very well but there is a difference between the maximum speed ADSL can deliver on a short line ( very short distance from the exchange approx 17Mb,) and what an individual's line should deliver, the further away from the exchange the slower the speed, so did they give you a personalised estimate of speed ?..you can check it yourself using a broadband speed estimator site and your post code.
    Origin are supposed to give an estimate for your line when you order, if they said 17Mb was the estimate as well as the max speed ADSL can deliver you would be living very close to the exchange, how close is the exchange to you ?
    As far as cooling off period , the T&C's are clear, so if the speed you get is way off your estimate (not necessarily way off 17Mb,) you have to give them chance to fix it, (if it's their 'fault' like sending you a faulty router, or something wrong in the exchange or the 'network' to your house ), but the issue could be your end with internal wiring, extension sockets etc
    The first thing you should do is find your master socket, if it's a NTE 5 type socket remove the bottom section and plug your router in there and check your speed again, if it improves then the problem is 'internal' and would be up to you to sort out , as your ISP isn't responsible for that, neither is Openreach
  • anneliese123
    Options
    Just wondered if anyone has any feedback on this Company , looking around for competitive phone , Broadband Deals at the moment ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure