We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Facebook Selling - guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    Eco_Child wrote: »
    I've only just learnt about Facebook selling...... I have used Ebay in the past ....
    I live in a ~Very rural part of Wales, is it likely that I will still be able to join a selling group ?
    Either fairly locally or,perhaps, not so locally ? I have a fair bit of bric a brac I would like to sell ....to unclutter my life a bit ! Any feedback on this would be most welcome ! ....:)

Just search "*where you live* buy sell swap"

If you think ebayers are messers facebook buyers are even worse.

That said its free and you won't get cheated out of money by paypal.

Buyers expect prices to be really low, carboot low.

Makes a good replacement for gumtree which now only seems inhabbited by proper loons and professional messers now
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Be prepared for time wasters though, I have listed a lot this week, had about 10 offers but only 2 people have actually bothered to turn up. I've even picked up a stalker :(

The most amount of facebook moaning seems to come from people who have missed the boat on something, or agreed to collect, but didn't and then missed out because someone else collected it.

I bought a car off facebook the other day, some good stuff out there if you know where to look.

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,406 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The most amount of facebook moaning seems to come from people who have missed the boat on something, or agreed to collect, but didn't and then missed out because someone else collected it.

I bought a car off facebook the other day, some good stuff out there if you know where to look.

It does seem to depend on the site. I belong to loads some with 20,000 registered users but also some very small ones for specific items like paperweights etc. most of the issues seem to be with the big ones, they get flooded by people trying to flog dodgy handbags or illegal tobacco but I agree if you wade through the rubbish there are some good items on there.

I do like the smaller sites though, very friendly and happy to offer advice if they think you are underselling something , some of the collectors in various markets really know their stuff and are happy to share that knowledge with those of us that aren't nearly as good.

My stalker is interesting though , she likes everything I put up in several groups, asks for at least one thing every two days, but as she has never turned up to collect anything I always post that I won't take her 'yes please' and will continue to offer for anyone else. She leaves me voice mail Quite a bit and whilst she is polite she is certainly a bit strange. I now have a cheap PAYG phone which I use just for Facebook when I contact a potential buyer, as I don't want anyone else leaving strange messages on my main phone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    Just search "*where you live* buy sell swap"

If you think ebayers are messers facebook buyers are even worse.

That said its free and you won't get cheated out of money by paypal.

Buyers expect prices to be really low, carboot low.

Makes a good replacement for gumtree which now only seems inhabbited by proper loons and professional messers now

What did happen to Gumtree? It used to be slow but has completely died now , I don't even get scammers wanting to send couriers for my items!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    What did happen to Gumtree? It used to be slow but has completely died now , I don't even get scammers wanting to send couriers for my items!

I listed a car last week and had a scam phone call from india no more than 60 seconds later, and then a load of scam texts.

Got a good response from loons and messers, but gave up after too many 1am phone calls and sold it on a FB group (hopefully)

Nothing else is selling on there though, seems to have died off altogether...

• soolin
    Options
    I listed a car last week and had a scam phone call from india no more than 60 seconds later, and then a load of scam texts.

Got a good response from loons and messers, but gave up after too many 1am phone calls and sold it on a FB group (hopefully)

Nothing else is selling on there though, seems to have died off altogether...

I do wonder if people have actually got bored of all this online / remote shopping? There's a bit more money about for most people now and when I walk into my local town it is heaving with people, queues at the checkouts and a lot of activity. My son and I even tried to go to one of those mega out of town shopping centres a few weeks back on a Sunday and there were so many cars we couldn't even leave the motorway.

I look at my own sales, and I know I always moan about ebid, but where it used to be slow it is now dead in the water, even regular users whose names I recognise on the forums are complaining. Amazon is the same- the boards are full of people asking where the buyers are- and of course we can see from here that ebay has slowed down for the smaller seller. (By small I mean anyone other than the big companies like Argos). The fact that on Gumtree and Friday Ad I don't even get any scammers shows how quiet it all is.

I also have a little tiny web presence (only promoted via my ebay , private and facebook sales) - it never gives me a lot of sales but the visitor numbers whilst low were quite steady, and I now go a week or so without anyone even looking.

August is traditionally a bad month online- the test will be whether it picks up in September or stays this flat.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    I do wonder if people have actually got bored of all this online / remote shopping? There's a bit more money about for most people now and when I walk into my local town it is heaving with people, queues at the checkouts and a lot of activity.

I've noticed that out of town shops seem to be very busy, but if I drive through town the high st ones always seem empty.

August has been terrible for me, really bad, I was hoping that everyone was on holiday, but people seem afraid to spend money, unless you are cheaper than the cheapest seller on ebay.

Perhaps I'm just selling things nobody wants...

• soolin
    Options
    I've noticed that out of town shops seem to be very busy, but if I drive through town the high st ones always seem empty.

August has been terrible for me, really bad, I was hoping that everyone was on holiday, but people seem afraid to spend money, unless you are cheaper than the cheapest seller on ebay.

Perhaps I'm just selling things nobody wants...

August is usually a bad month for me as well and I have my fingers crossed for September when the children go bad to school.

As for my theory, the only thing against it is that I did a car boot recently and it was dead. Twice as many sellers as I am used to but few buyers, and the buyers that were there were all busy checking my items against ebay on their smart phones.

I was planning a car boot this weekend, but I hate doing them so I have taken a lot of stuff to the charity shop instead where they seem to be able to sell it for 10 times the offers I get at car boot.

The b and m auctions I attend are also up and down, there is no consistency in prices and one auctioneer I was talking to said this is the first time in years that he has no idea what the items are likely to fetch- stuff he believes is worth £100 is going unsold at £20 where stuff he considers to be in the £5 market is fetching £30-£40. He reckoned its all gone mad.
  • soolin
    Options
    I've had a shocking weekend on Facebook- sold a few things late last week and not one person bothered to collect. I contacted all the supposed buyers- and there was the usual litany of sick children, car broken down etc. I reoffered a few bits and two were supposed to be collected this morning- and once again nobody showed.

I've contacted both, one has got back to me saying they are unwell - although she may have forgotten she added me as a facebook friend as that shows her shopping at a big out of town shopping centre nearby.

I have already put some of the things on ebay and one has sold- so I think I'll just put the good stuff on ebay and charity shop the rest.

What a waste of time
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    I've had a shocking weekend on Facebook- sold a few things late last week and not one person bothered to collect.

I've had a good couple of days on FB, only 1 non payer.

Sold a load of stuff yesterday, and a few bits today.

I insist on getting paid by BT though, one of yesterdays sales was a collection, but matey paid up front so that solves the non collection/time waster problem.

Gumtree is pretty well dead now, even the late night phone calls from loons and scammers have dried up.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family