We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Please help - Jewelers ruined my ring :(

Options

Comments

• Shellsworth88
    Options
    shegirl wrote: »
    The engagement ring could be a different alloy to the wedding ring.

If there was a problem on the solder joins where it was not joined and finished correctly then yes that can worsen over time and create problems. Have the jewellers said anything about whether they can just replace the setting?

Yes the problem is with the solder joins, and where the original ring was chopped. The new jewelers has recommended that I replace the ring completely.

I wondered if I could try and press Demilles, or their new trading name to cover the £935 cost?
  • Shellsworth88
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    Am I the only one with a warped sense of humour, to have tittered at the thread title?

Yes?

Oh well ................... :D

No your not - even now my husband sniggers when we talk about my ring.. :D
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,753 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your contract was with Demilles, sadly Demilles no longer exist. You have no contract with the new company.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    Options
    Yes the problem is with the solder joins, and where the original ring was chopped. The new jewelers has recommended that I replace the ring completely.

I wondered if I could try and press Demilles, or their new trading name to cover the £935 cost?

If you don't want to pay out that much try and find a jeweller who will just replace the setting or just repair it?
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

As post #7 says, if the company that did the work no longer exists then you have absolutely no chance.

You have three possibilities:
    1) the company that did the work still exists and you can then pursue them for a remedy.
    2) the new company offers you a goodwill gesture, but from what you have said, that seems unlikely.
    3) you paid for the work by credit card and, as again suggested in post #7, consider a Section 75 claim with your credit card company.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been married for over 40 years, wear my wedding ring nearly all the time, but my engagement ring only on special occasions. Many married woman either don't have an engagement ring or choose just to wear a wedding band.

OP , you could do this and ,perhaps, coat the engagement ring's rough area with some cushioning silicon gel.

As has been said, once a company closes, you cannot deal with them, even if they reopen under another name.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I had an allergy surely i would have an issue with my wedding ring which I don't therefore this rules out it being an allergy.

You can develop an allergy at any time. Unless the wedding ring and the engagement ring were made out of the same piece of metal there's no reason why you couldn't develop an allergy to one but not the other.

It's entirely possible, in fact highly likely, that the engagement ring is a different alloy to the wedding ring. Pure platinum isn't used to make jewellery, it's too soft, so they mix it with other metals like copper, palladium, iridium, cobalt or indium. It's possible that over time you've developed and allergy to one of those.

It is rubbing underneath where the joins are - if you feel it underneath it is rough. The new jewelers have guessed this issue has been gradual over the years as dirt, moisture etcc have worked the way in the gaps. Before the ring was altered underneath the ring was smooth all the way around, but as I've I've had explained to me the shoddy cut and shut job from the Demilles Jewelers hasn't been finished well.

Jewellery gets smoother with wear, not rougher, it would have scratched you from day one, not 2 years later.

I have had a call from the new Jewellers Cranes they have advised that the ring is un-useable and that I should get a new ring and mount specifically made which has come in at £935.

They would say that would't they. I think they saw you coming.

If I were you I would get a second opinion and I would ask if it is possible to have just the shank replaced with the same alloy as the wedding ring.

Whatever you decide to do, you have no recourse with the new jewellers, they are not the same company as Demilles, that would be like trying to return something to a Co-op that used to be a Somerfield.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I'm about to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary and I haven't worn my engagement ring for a number of years as the shank broke and I haven't got it repaired.

On the odd occasions that I haven't worn it I haven't don't feel any less married when I haven't worn my wedding ring nor do I feel as if I'm cheating on my husband
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    maybe you have got fatter from using public transport which in turn is causing your fingers to swell?
    nothing worse than a painful ring on public transport :)
  • shegirl
    shegirl Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    Options
    maybe you have got fatter from using public transport which in turn is causing your fingers to swell?
    nothing worse than a painful ring on public transport :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm going to end up with a rough finish on todays work if I keep reading stuff like that :D
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport