BT - £140 for Line Installation

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
11 replies 1.3K views
HighlandLassHighlandLass Forumite
69 Posts
Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
We have just moved into a new flat and went to transfer our broadband. We still have 4 months left in the contract. BT have said that there is no line in the flat and that it will cost £140 to install it. I have tried to tell them that I can see the BT Box at the bottom of the stairs just coming into the flat so I know that there is a line but they wont budge on the £140.

When I asked about cancelling the contract they said it would be £131 - our monthly charge at the moment is £24. So planning on just paying as normal until the end of the contract and then close the account.

They weren't very helpful so I went hunting and Sky will give us free install, free broadband and weekend calls, plus £100 M&S voucher so just paying line rental £16.40 (also through TCB and extra £95.95)

However I got a call from sky saying that they are having trouble with the Line as the OpenReach BT engineer is saying that there is no line.

I have no idea what to do, when I can see a line there but they wont believe me that all they have to do is turn it on at the exchange.

Sorry for the essay, any comments/advice welcomed :)

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn it on at the exchange ??? do you know the line works between you and the exchange .
  • HighlandLassHighlandLass Forumite
    69 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I only know that there is a line there but I don't know if it works because they wont connect it
  • fivetidefivetide Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same.

Basically, the line is there, but not 'paid for' as the builders put it in and then it needs to be activated or something. I told BT to shovel it when I first moved in, never needed a landline but eventually needed a computer for work and the price had gone up so the line had acquired equity!

I am not sure there is much you can do on a new build I'm afraid. Sky might be right, they won't say there is an active line there until one has been paid for. Then it would transfer to someone else.
    It might be worth asking Virgin about 'soulless' broadband if you are cabled up and don't need a landline http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband.html
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • Roland_SausageRoland_Sausage Forumite
    701 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I only know that there is a line there but I don't know if it works because they wont connect it

How do you know it's not been cut on the outside of the flat? Or even on the inside just beyond this box?

Even if it is going anywhere, it won't be going all the way to the exchange and will be sitting disconnected in the network somewhere, perhaps at the pole or cabinet, which needs someone to take the time to reconnect it.
  • MataNuiMataNui Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    There may not be a line. Just because you see a box it doesnt mean there is an E side. Basically the capacity could be all used up between the cabinet and the exchange. I dont know where you got the idea that they can just 'turn it on' for you.

I have just waited 6 months for a new line because there was no space capacity between the cabinet and exchange. Be prepared for a long, long wait.
  • RetrogamerRetrogamer Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The £140 charge is the charge to activate a line as well as instalation of wires where needed.

To activate the line at the exchange normally an engineer will still be needed to do the wiring as it's a physical connection, rather than purely software.
    The engineer will then visit the home where possible and conduct a few basic checks to ensure the line is active so if there are disconnections further down the line (in the green cabinet) then the engineer can connect it there also.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Take the early termination hit and get an ISP who offers a free line install.

Don't forget to go through a cashback site such as TopcashBack or Quidco. That plus any new customer offer is going to more than pay the ET fees and you'll also virtually certainly be paying less than for BT even after the new customer offer runs out.
  • w50nkyw50nky Forumite
    418 Posts
    ✭✭
    I switched to SSE, £12 a month line rental and free broadband for 2 years along with free weekend calls. They do line install too if none already installed for approx £30 I believe, although do your own check for your area. Went through TopCashBack for £70 back too. If you do find this offer acceptable, then call to cancel with BT with the knowledge that you have a backup plan. You may then find them more flexible when you ask to cancel.
    Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If OR are telling Sky that there is no line then that sounds as though there is no capacity either at the exchange, from the cab that the flat is connected to back to the exchange or even cabling from the flat itself to the cab.

The free install merchants tend not to touch it if there is no physical line or capacity
  • RetrogamerRetrogamer Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    If OR are telling Sky that there is no line then that sounds as though there is no capacity either at the exchange, from the cab that the flat is connected to back to the exchange or even cabling from the flat itself to the cab.

The free install merchants tend not to touch it if there is no physical line or capacity

I suspect that's due to the lack of an active line, rather than missing hardware.
    All your base are belong to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals