We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dartford Crossing

Options
15678911»

Comments

• robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    you cant change the car after the journey or everyone would be doing it to try and cheat the system
    What goes around-comes around
  • planetf1
    planetf1 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter just received a fine -- or more correctly opened the envelop (>14 days - I think it's less than 28.)... she's adamant she didn't realise she needed to pay and thought the signs were confusing.

It's now 2017. I know there were teething troubles and this isn't a case of disputing if the crossing was used / ANPR issues - she absolutely did at the time mentioned, just about the meaning of the signs.

I'm interested in what people think as to whether it's worth appealing that the signage was confusing. I haven't been on that road personally so it's hard to say, and dft say they are 50 signs...

Thoughts?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    planetf1 wrote: »
    My daughter just received a fine -- or more correctly opened the envelop (>14 days - I think it's less than 28.)... she's adamant she didn't realise she needed to pay and thought the signs were confusing.

It's now 2017. I know there were teething troubles and this isn't a case of disputing if the crossing was used / ANPR issues - she absolutely did at the time mentioned, just about the meaning of the signs.

I'm interested in what people think as to whether it's worth appealing that the signage was confusing. I haven't been on that road personally so it's hard to say, and dft say they are 50 signs...

Thoughts?

I went over a few weeks ago for the first time in years and saw plenty of signs along the lines of "Dart Charge find us online" - if that isn't clear enough to at least make someone think 'I had better google that' then I dont know what is. Or maybe the huge red road markings with a white C within them - again "Wonder what that is" - the later been included in the highway code.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    I think its unreasonable to be expected to read complicated signs about payment and take down phone numbers when you are supposed to be looking at the road. I'm sure I wouldn't gather that I was expected to pay something if there were no barriers and I didn't know about it already. I doubt she has any defense though. How much is the fine?
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2017 at 1:23PM
    Options
    The signs aren't complicated, there are loads of them (as below) on all the approaches to the crossing. They are very hard to miss.

Dartford_signage.png
  • Lucky_Duck_2
    Options
    I slipped up once and forgot to pay within the timescales provided, a few weeks later some paperwork arrived with an unimpressive photograph of my car.

While the letter talked about fines, etc on reading the letter more thoroughly they would accept payment of the crossing fee rather than the fine. Might be worth a re-read?
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting article on BBC news,
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-40996859

perhaps they didn't see the signs either?
  • cloughja
    cloughja Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I travelled from Scotland for a wedding as did a bunch of my friends and we all missed these signs so I guess they are easy to miss. It would be better if there was a sign saying Toll road.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 August 2017 at 5:38PM
    Options
    It's always possible to make things clearer...

2pouomt.jpg
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having relatives in Beckenham and further down in Kent, and living in East Lincolnshire, I have had occasion to use the Crossing, but never enjoyed the experience: does anyone? I have a disability and a Motability car, so the reg plate is recognised and I am not charged. However, I always wonder what happened to the operators of the many Toll Booths who used to work there.

I understand how these signs can be missed by someone from another area: first time I used it, even when the Toll Booths were manned, it was a nightmare. Now that they are unmanned, it's worse - extremely heavy traffic, including the massive trucks funneling out of here to all over the UK. Sometimes it appears that there are walls of these trucks surrounding the car. If you are not used to it and become nervous, it is easy to miss the signs.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills