why isn't it illegal to leaflet car windscreens?

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Placing flyers on in inanimate object like a car would be similar to placing a leaflet on a pebble IMO.

I think not.

You'll be telling us next that postmen putting letters* through your letterbox is littering.

*let's not consider all the other stuff postmen push through letterboxes.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2015 at 10:16PM
    Options
    In many council areas leafleting without a permit is an offence punishable with a £75 FPN or possible £2.5K fine. http://www.colchester.gov.uk/leafleting
    http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/decER/DistributionoffreeprintedmatterLeaflets.htm
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Post the leaflet back to the company they are advertising without a stamp. Don't forget to mark the envelope 'payment enclosed'.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I always throw it on the floor if its in a private car park, it will encourage the owners to get rid of this pest/or not give permission for it.
  • mickaveli2001
    mickaveli2001 Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2015 at 1:02PM
    Options
    It's up to you if it's illegal or not.

Let me explain: You can park your car in a car park that you and your parents poll / council taxes paid for. The councils without any permission from us, sold a lot of these car parking sites to private companies, who in turn attempt to charge us to park on something WE paid for and more importantly WE own. Don't pay for a ticket? Then expect a sticky yellow envelope on your windscreen. The rationale behind it, is that you "agree to contract, when you park your vehicle" because they have a "sign". I know this sounds ridiculous, but believe it or not, many people run to the ticket machines to pay for tickets because of this "sign". Some even put more money than is asked. It's the same as paying your mortgage off, then having the gardener who you pay to take car of your garden and fencing sell your house to someone who then rents it back to you whenever you decide to sleep in it. Crazy. So in that same manner, having a sign (written note) on your car dashboard that states anything attached to the vehicle without prior written permissions will incur a charge of £XX amount, with the individual and the company he / she represents being fully liable. They are on that same basis agreeing to contract by sticking something on your car. If the private parking companies are able to use it, then anyone can.

I'm assuming the leaflet will have all the company details on it
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's up to you if it's illegal or not.
    That's an interesting starting point. Are you saying that we can make our own laws as we go along?

I'm sorry to say that your following explanation isn't worthy of comment.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Nope, I just fold them up and put them in my door pocket. Why would anyone think it was OK to drop litter just because they didn't put the leaflet there themselves?

I'll leave them on the passenger seat, after I've tried to find a bin.

Littering is a criminal offence, while leafleting in many areas isn't.
    💙💛 💔
  • mickaveli2001
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    That's an interesting starting point. Are you saying that we can make our own laws as we go along?

I'm sorry to say that your following explanation isn't worthy of comment.

No, if you read the post what it states is that if private parking companies can make their own laws, then so can the people.

I'm sorry that the following explanation probably went way over your head to response.
  • mickaveli2001
    Options
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    I'll leave them on the passenger seat, after I've tried to find a bin.

Littering is a criminal offence, while leafleting in many areas isn't.

Criminal offense and crime are 2 different things though. Something we should be aware of
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    I always throw it on the floor if its in a private car park, it will encourage the owners to get rid of this pest/or not give permission for it.

What do you think the car park owner can do to stop it?
    Unless it is a gated and lockable area , or one with a full time attendant, then there is very little they can do. If you drop it on the ground you are littering.Not to mention the fact that once you drop the litter it may blow anywhere - so you are causing problems for people who are totally unconnected with either the original leaflet-er or the car park.

The suggestion of sending it to the organisation being advertised, with underpaid postage is far better as it hits the perpetrator, not another victim or the general public who have to deal with you dropping litter.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure