Crunchy pays it down....£20k...the final chapter

Options

Comments

• crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Options
    Food shop postponed until tomorrow as ds is not well. I managed to clean out the kitchen cupboards instead. Lots of reorganisation and auditing. I was looking at our kitchen equipment thinking 'that needs replacing' 'so does this' etc etc. almost convinced myself that I need a spree in the John Lewis sale after Christmas but quick as a flash I realised I wanted to pay off the overdraft first. Pots and pans can wait!

Proud of myself!! In a way....

Crunch x
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • crunch_time
    edited 20 December 2015 at 4:07PM
    Options
    So I was doing some thinking last night about my credit card and how it is really letting me down regarding becoming debt free. I didn't have one for years and then got this one in November 2013 just so I could buy stuff for my classroom at school and then claim it back. I intended to keep it for emergencies only and it has come in handy for two emergencies this year - the shed deposit and when my car broke down and I didn't have breakdown insurance.the thing is it's being used to bridge the gaps between pay days.

It's useful for online shopping but I'm realising I need to cut my ties with it if I'm going to crack this debt next year.

I know I can do this!
    Crunch x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Hello dfw's!!

I braved sains yesterday expecting it to be awful because it is Christmas but it wasn't too bad! Spent £160 but included alcohol. The cupboards are full just a couple more bits to get and that is it!! I came home to a lovely cheque from the bank I had my old loan through that finished in 2012 for.......£582!!!!! Some mistake had been made to do with it I'm not too sure what but I don't really care! That will go a long way in debt pay down!

Just two more days until the overdraft is gone! I'm very excited!

I went out this after non with DD in the pram around the country lanes sourcing holly for zero cost Christmas decorations!

I also joined the gym today - I know its not very MSE but my local one costs £27 a month so its not too bad. I have tried so hard to save money by exercising at home but its just not working so finally gave in. I'm starting the New Year's 'promises' early. My resolution is 'feel the fear and do it anyway' and my theme this year is 'health' so its very apt!

DS is not very well at all with a virus so he's curled up in our bed sweating into the sheets and DD is refusing the nap. The church bells are tolling, I have a festive pint of lager, I'm going to start wrapping presents tonight so feeling very festive over here!

Happy Sunday y'all!

Crunch xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning diary!

Just checked the bank balances and finances are looking a little tight. Trying not to be cross with myself as I have been getting anxious about it and my stomach is all jittery.

I am determined to beat the credit cards next year and starting to psyche my way into new habits so I can get rid of mine.

I've got to unlink it from amazon as that is my downfall and take it out of my wallet. Perhaps I could hide it my handbag somewhere. Anyone got any ideas?

So anyway - going to pick up my meat order from the butchers today and pop to town to pay in the cheques then at least that is done - even though I don't think it going to make much difference to my debt total. Husband has an interview for a new job today. Its based in London so cost us £100 in train tickets. He paid for train tickets a few weeks ago for the same interview but that then got cancelled. The recruitment agency said they would reimburse and they did but with amazon vouchers which is great but it doesn't cover the now £180 sitting on husbands credit card waiting to be paid off.

Husband reckons I should use our savings (£1600) to pay off some of this credit card debt on the basis that it will save us lots of money in the long run and means we can pay off the credit card debt sooner. I know we can pay it all back within a few months once we are immediate debt free but it just pains me to have nothing.

I need to get a grip as it would really help us in the long run. What do you guys think?

Crunch xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hi Crunch,

I think it should be based on what will be best for your state of mind - if it stresses you to think of having no savings it's not worth it. Perhaps you could use half of the savings for now? That way you still have a buffer but the debt is reduced?

K x
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning diary

So the overdraft is no more!!!!!!!!

So I have made two decisions in the last few days....

1) To start using YNAB again but make it much simpler.
    2) To use my savings to pay down the debt.

Kirstypoos - thanks for your input its a good way of looking at it. I think I'm more stressed being in debt to be honest. I know we can soon build it up again and then some, especially if we start using YNAB again.

Husband is on board so its full steam ahead! My plan for the day is a last min Christmas shop, pay in the cheques and then that's it until Sunday - Christmas all the way.

I was feeling festive but since DS was ill and now DD is and I feel I'm coming down with something I'm not so much anymore - will have to watch a few Christmas films to perk me up.

I will update my signature once husband and I have done YNAB.

Merry Christmas everyone!! I hope you all have a happy and healthy festive period.

Crunch xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Great news - your state of mind is just as important as your finances in my humble opinion - you have to do what makes you feel better!

Hope you feel better soon. Oh and Merry Christmas!
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • crunch_time
    edited 28 December 2015 at 9:51AM
    Options
    Evening all

Well I'm well and truly stuffed! Lolling around on the sofa watching a box set through Now TV with the hubs trying not to feel too full - Ha ha! We had a lovely Christmas - lots of food and toys and happiness but also some challenging behaviour from DS.

So I used £1500 of my savings to pay down my credit card. This left about £164 so my credit card currently stands at £1458 which is much better. I feel sad that I didn't mage to clear it this year but I know I definitely will in 2016.

I paid the cheque in so I'm just waiting for it to clear before I decide what to do with it. We do need a few essential bits for the house like a towel and toilet roll holder and still drawing up a YNAB budget so nothing decided yet.

So total credit card debt is now £3463 and total overall debt has gone down to £18,008!!!!!!!!

I'm so looking forward to the beginning of the year when the loan payment goes out and I can be sub £18k again.

So close.

Last bit of family stuff tomorrow then it is time to get organised hitting the road steady in 2016.

Hope everyone had lovely Christmases!!

Crunch xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning diary

Well back to reality we go. Christmas tree is down, a huge bin bag of old toys has gone into the loft ready to be sorted, menu plan for the week is in fruition using up leftovers. Going to hit L@dl later for our food shop and then a tiny sains shop for the bits we like that Lidl doesn't sell.

I'm going to spend the evening in the office tidying and organising and getting ready for 2016.

I think the key to getting these credit cards to £0 is getting extremely organised. I have found some great printables on pinterest to get me started. I know I need to have weekly and monthly goals to keep me in check.

Hope everyone has a lovely bank holiday Monday!

Crunch x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Evening diary!

Didn't make it to Lidl - Sains it was on the lure of the homewares sale Ha ha!

We have decided to use my windfall towards much needed stuff for our new house and made a list and bought a lot of stuff off it. we are not rushing and know our priorities. Its better this than throwing it t the debt, then getting fed up with our living situation and ending up buying stuff on credit anyway.

I have a huge pile of stuff in the loft to sort through for fleabay/rubbish/jumble sale now as I added a few bits to it tonight so hopefully we will have some extra to throw at the debt soon.

I also did some work on my goals for 2016 using the sheets as mentioned above - it was very enlightening to say the least and I now feel ready to make huge changes to my life to meet my goals - and I have lots of them.

I hope you guys don't mind but I will probably share a but more on here as time goes on as my mindset and finances are linked. And it helps to keep me accountable.

2016 goals

Finances
    - Budget, budget, budget, budget budget..... using YNAB
    - no more impulse purchases - particularly on Amazon
    - pretend you don't have a credit card

Personal
    - less time on phone in front of children
    - cultivate friendships in our new area
    - make more time for myself

Work
    - don't sweat the small stuff
    - work for at least 6 hours outside of school every week.

Health and fitness
    - cleaning eating where possible
    - to go the gym as much as possible
    - remember to stretch
    - start thinking about running again.

Relationships
    - acceptance of others as they are and that I don't have any ability to change them so I should stop wasting my energy and apply it to kindness instead.

That should keep me out of trouble!

So, tomorrows plans are husband is taking DS to cinema after getting hair cuts and I am spending the day with DD playing, sorting and cleaning and then will go to the gym later in the afternoon.

Night all!

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories