Crunchy pays it down....£20k...the final chapter

Options

Comments

• crunch_time
    Options
    Morning debt free wannabes!!!

A few bits listed on ebay sold last night! After fees and postage I have made £28.36!

I resisted the temptation to pay a bit off the credit card and transferred the money into my slush fund instead.

Once I have saved up £236 pounds in this pot I am going to allow myself to pay off the 'extra spending money over the summer' line of my credit card. That's the first one to tackle.

Right I had better get these items packaged up and posted before the post office shuts!

Happy Saturday everyone!

Crunchy
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Options
    Morning people!!

Working week done for me! Ds was sick this morning so no pre school for him poor boy. Storm barney keep us awake last night battering our bedroom window so I'm feeling a bit rough this morning.

I've been horrified at the news in Paris these last few days. Puts lots of things in perspective. I'm incredibly grateful for all I am and all I have. So worried about the state of the world. I have to appreciate the small things today.

Ds is munching on toast so things seem to be on the up! A few errands to run and of course lots of housework!

Payday tomorrow so I can finally start Christmas shopping.

Will check the bank balances later
    Crunch x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning all!

Pay day today! £890! £600 transferred into a savings account for Christmas spends. I shall pay for them on my credit card and then pay them off when they hit. This is all part of the strategy to stop me spending as I want change from that £600!

As part of my rethink, I have also decided to allocate £100 a month as a minimum payment of my overdraft as the £20 a month only covers interest. So even if I don't mange to pay anything additional off, at least I know it will definitely be paid off by the end of next year.

I didn't mange to get any errands or much housework done yesterday as I felt so tired so more for the list for today.

On another note, and to cut a really long story short, I have decided to quit my job at the end of this academic year even if I have no new job to go to for September 2016. That sounds really dramatic but it is strategic. I like my new boss, but hate the commute (2 hour round trip - sometimes 2.5), and the littlest things are getting me down. I need a fresh start. I feel if I say this out loud it will spur on to find another job for that September but keep me going as I know I have an end date now and I can make sure I get out of it what I need and leave the rest.

So after this immediate debt pay off malarkey, I shall have to think about a worse case scenario of not being paid for 4 months if I didn't get a job straight away. A nice fat savings account would be lovely!!

I'm saying this out loud now so it makes me rethink any potential purchases!

4 weeks left till the end of this term!

First Christmas purchase made today - a tablecloth and napkins for £28. We are hosting and the tablecloth is really a long term need. Its been on my 30 day list for months. So £470 left for Christmas as there is a £100 buffer!!

Right off for a shower before running some errands.

Happy Thursday everyone!

Crunch xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Evening diary

Had a spendy few days. Ive gone to a new chiropractor as my old one was too far away now we have moved and I wasn't making any progress. Long story short, he is using acupuncture to lengthen my tight muscles hoping that will make a difference to my back I had one session and it has but he says ill need it every week for the next 4 weeks which is something I haven't budgeted for. Its £31 a go so a lot of money. In order to not get into any more debt I shall have to use the Christmas money and scale back my planned Christmas spending and use some money from my December money towards Christmas.

At the end of the day my back is more important than stuff. I shall have to be more frugal as I wanted to chuck all that money at debt.

We also bought DD her first pair of shoes. Typically the only ones that fit her were not in the sale so that's £35 gone. She was pleased as punch though - she loves shoes so I'm sure she is chuffed to have some on her own feet! Proud mama moment!

Normal week at work for me next week with the hubs away for Monday and Tuesday. Counting down to husbands first proper new job pay day on Friday. He should be able to see it online in a few days time. Fingers crossed it is what it should be!

We are off to London for the day next Saturday. I'm feeling nervous after world events. We have £100 spending money - hopefully that shall cover it!

Anyhow I'm off to bed now for a quiet read. Looking forward to snuggling down under the duvet in this cold weather!

Have a lovely evening everybody!

Crunch
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning diary!

Off work today because my back has gone! I can barely stand or walk and in a lot of pain it's awful! Keep trying to move to loosen it up. This is the 2nd sick day I have had this term and my kids were ill one day so that is 3. Feeling guilty as usual as I only work 2 days a week but my logical brain says but what use to the kids are you if you keep having to lie down and stretch!!! Considering calling the Dr but I can't drive there!! Rubbish!!

At least I don't have to spend £20 greeting to work!!
    Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning diary

So the back is properly bad. The dr came out yesterday as I couldn't drive to the surgery and prescribed diazepam and pain killers. Its starting to ease but is still painful. I managed with the kids yesterday and husband came home instead of staying over for his business trip. He had an 8 hour drive and was really grumpy when he got home. Apparently not at me (?) He is very used to my back going but it hasn't been this bad since 2008!

Anyway - no work for me again today. MIL has taken the kids off my hands for the day, the only comfy position is sitting in a chair at the kitchen table and getting up and down every 10 minutes or so and then lying down for a rest every so often. Since I cant do any heavy house work I thought I would spend the day sorting my life out i.e. finances and financially related stuff! I know I wont get everything done today but here is my list...

- Christmas menu planning - Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
    - cancel Equifax after checking that I am on the electoral roll.
    - check husbands Equifax report.
    - draw up a budget for next year with categories following the YNAB principles
    - Christmas present planning
    - look at other ways we can make savings.
    - start to look at costs for dog

We are supposed to be going to London for the day on Saturday and have already bought tickets but with my back as it is there is now chance so I am going to ring up and see if we can rearrange for another day. If not that is £60 down the drain....

Anyway best get on with the to do list!

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    In order to draw up a budget for next year I have completed another SOA....

Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................ 890
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 3000
    Benefits................................ 137
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 4027

Monthly Expense Details
    Mortgage................................ 800
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 113
    Electricity............................. 85
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 40
    Telephone (land line)................... 55 (incl TV and BB)
    Mobile phone............................ 57 (for 2)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 400
    Clothing................................ 100
    Petrol/diesel........................... 200
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 55
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 200
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 325 (currently not paying but factored in in case circumstances change - goes on debt)
    Other child related expenses............ 40 (swimming lessons)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 29.5 (contact lenses - monthly)
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 6.35
    Buildings insurance..................... 10.11 (and contents)
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 54 (Income protection, life and critical illness)
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 60 (for us plus nieces and nephews and extra Christmas money)
    Haircuts................................ 50 (spread out over the year)
    Entertainment........................... 100 (meals out, films, music, alcohol)
    Holiday................................. 150 (incl days out)
    Emergency fund.......................... 100 (for house repairs etc)
    Health e.g. Chiro....................... 50
    Savings for Children.................... 60
    Regular Charity donations............... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 3177.08

Assets
    Cash.................................... 1700
    House value (Gross)..................... 177000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 3000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 181700

Secured & HP Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 157758...(800)......3.99
    Total secured & HP debts...... 157758....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Overdraft......................1300......120.......17
    Credit card....................2430......60........17
    Credit card 2..................1600......60........17
    Loan...........................14818.....275.......3.7
    Total unsecured debts..........20148.....515.......-

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total monthly income.................... 4,027
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 3,177.08
    Available for debt repayments........... 849.92
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 515
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 334.92

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 181,700
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -157,758
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -20,148
    Net Assets.............................. 3,794

At the moment we are paying £515 a month on debt. £275 is our long term loan which leaves £240 a month to service the od and 2 credit cards. I am absolutely determined to annilate this debt before Easter but I don't know whether it is possible.

Just from minimum payments the overdraft will go down to £900 by the end of April. And using the £325 currently budgeted for childcare which we are not using, going towards the credit cards. That leaves £3800. Over 4 months that is £950 a month which I really don't think id possible. If I kept the overdraft on its £100 a month reducer, forgot about husbands credit card for the moment and focussed on my credit card that would be £400 a month which is more doable.

Plans for next year...

- we would really like a dog. We are finally in the position to have one with husband working at home a lot and me being 2 days a week. My really rough workings out say about £100 a month for a medium dog so I need money in the budget for this
    - we will also need a new car - an estate for dog walking and camping trips
    - we would like to go to Cornwall camping this year.
    - I need to get a 3 day a week job starting in September.
    - need a new wardrobe and table and chairs for the kitchen.
    - Decorate the house.

So, first things first, where can I trim the fat from this new budget?.....

Crunchy x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Sorry for all the posts but I'm child free for the day and sitting down is the most comfortable position so making the most of it!

We always seem to go over our £400 a month budget which is for the 4 of us and 1 cat. This money includes cleaning products and toiletries. I really don't like that our budget is this much after reading how well people do on significantly less. I'm just going to brainstorm some statements and ideas to help me formulate a plan...

- DS is fussy and mainly eats beige food.
    - DD is now off formula which was costing £40-£50 a month so there is no excuse not to go over anymore.
    - Husband likes to snack. He likes bread but it is bad for us - I get bloated and he gets spotty so we have tried to cut back and therefore we buy oatcakes for soups instead but them snack on them.
    - we only buy oats and Weetabix for breakfasts. Hubs and I soak our oats and have fruit and nuts with it.
    - husband likes expensive filter coffee which costs us about £8-10 a month but he puts it in a flask so he doesn't have any waste.
    - I buy Mr S basics range as much as I can including the frozen white fish and Salmon
    - we go to a butchers in the village which is amazing. 1 dozen free range eggs for £1.50, amazing sausages and delicious chicken and steaks.
    - I bought organic snack bars for the children at the cost of £5 a week!! But I realised I could save so much money by making my own and making sure I make a variety. I could add some chocolate powder and fruit to oat bars and DS will think he is eating chocolate cake!!
    - I cant eat a lot of cows milk based stuff as it doesn't agree with me so like goats cheese and yogurts which is pricier.
    - we do a lot of cooking from scratch but if we grab a take away or some different bits from the shop to which we have in the cupboard I tend to think we can afford it but it all adds up.
    - I like toiletries which haven't been tested on animals and are as toxic free as possible - this adds up!!
    - I don't like the amount of waste I create by buying pre packaged and individually wrapped goods.
    - I also hate that I buy fruit and veg from Sains when there is a good greengrocer in the local town.
    - I want to consume less sugar.
    - I was using ecoballs over the summer but stopped when I realised they weren't getting grease stains out so I bought expensive ecover detergent and conditioner instead. This doesn't get grease stains out either and doesn't smell great!!
    - I don't have a massive freezer to store loads of food in or enough tupper ware.
    - I like buying organic milk and yogurt.

That felt good getting all that down! Here is my plan.

- find my ecoballs and use them and then move onto soap nuts
    - buy multisurface cleaner for cleaning the floor but use washing up liquid and water formula for cleaning the surfaces.
    - investigate in some new Tupperware and tidy cupboards so there is enough space to store it.
    - go into town once a week for fruit and veg/check out bargains in l&dl.
    - use sainsburys delivery service to stock up on staples.
    - make my own cereal bars, snacks and avoid buying things in packets.
    - find some simple soup recipes.
    - make more frittatas and egg based things for lunch
    - fall in love with my lovely new kitchen and make some lovely healthy food for my family.
    - get the slow cooker down from the loft, find somewhere to store it and then use it.
    - still stick to £100 a week at the moment starting from a Friday with a sains shop delivered on a Thursday night and greengrocers and butchers on a Friday. Dropping DS off pre school on Friday ams, then going to the cashpoint and taking out what is left over for the greengrocers and the butchers before going to toddler group.

phew - glad I have a plan. LEts see how it works out!

Crunch x

I think that's enough for the time being
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Afternoon diary!

Husband checked his online payslip and he will be paid £2972 on Friday. £8 less than we thought but hey ho - cant complain at all!

Now I know this I can start budgeting for Christmas!

This is what his money is going to pay for this month...

£1558 - house bills
    £275 - loan payment
    £70 - min credit card payment
    £10 - iTunes sub
    £100 - London trip
    £50 - my birthday present
    £200 - car maintenance but paying off the new brakes I had put in last month and had to put on credit card because of the shortfall.
    £200 - towards petrol
    £200 - clothes - £100 towards his Christmas gift, £35 to pay off baby's first shoes. I was going to put the rest towards new clothes for the kids but just had some donations from relatives so DS has lots of new winter tops and DD can have pyjamas and new vests in her stocking presents.
    so that £65 can pay off some of the clothes on my CC.
    £25 - hair cut
    £100 - entertainment - try not to buy booze with it as we will need this for all the social festivities coming up but I will try and keep these cheap by having drinks rather than meals out.
    £30 chiro

This leaves £184 which I am going to use to pay back some of the things on my credit card that had to go there because of the shortfall.

This should take my credit card from £2430 to £1968 which is a great start!!

After the minimum loan amount comes out on the 1st December our total debt should go down to £19412 after paying off £886!!!

Very pleased with that! Just need to keep the food, entertainment and Christmas budget under control!

I have told husband (who gets very carried away with food spending at Christmas that Christmas starts on the 19th Dec and ends on the 28th.

I may have to buy a few bits with my December pay but ill set myself a budget of £100 for food and stuff - WE WILL NOT OVER INDULGE!!!!!

In other news my back is feeling so much better so doing some housework today to keep things moving. I got baking in my kitchen yesterday so feeling very inspired in that department!!

Just got to get the hubs to do his monthly expenses in the next few days then I can update his credit card page on my budget.

Feeling positive - onwards and upwards!

Crunchy
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning diary!!

Last day before pay day! Sains shop completed last night to the tune of £50 ish quid. It's being delivered for £1 between 8-9pm tonight! Got lots of veg in so just need a few bits and then a trip to the butchers tomorrow.

I need to do a toiletries shop on holl and Barrett tonight though.

I got my sewing pile out last night. Finally after much procrastination! I made my size 14 jeggings more like a 12 so they fit me! Took a lovely size 16 top I bought in the sale a few months ago in so it will fit me and found two tops I was going to merge into 1 top (when I thought I had the time for that stuff). 1 top has been relegated to pyjama status and the other one put back in the chest of drawers! I found a pair of pyjama bottoms I stretched out too far when I was pregnant so just took them in a bit, wore them last night and they are lovely.! Just need to mend a hole in a top and baby's baby Gros to make them last a bit longer and voila a few more clothes for not much money!! Very pleased with myself!

Off to the library and the park today and to pay a cheque in for the slush fund.
    Happy Thursday everybody!
    Crunch x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories