Reusable face wipes: Do you use them?

Options

Comments

• aintshesweet
    aintshesweet Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    £0
    I just use a bamboo cloth and wash it. One in the wash, one in use... you don't need loads.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    £0
    Great to see so many of you using alternative ways to wipe make-up off. Hopefully the people who voted they spend £5+ a year on face wipes will be inspired to join in!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    £5+
    Anything re-usable is likely to be more environmentally friendly even if there isn't much difference between the two in terms of profligacy. You can buy biodegradable ones which cost more than buying muslin clothes or similar too.
    ally.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £0
    I have just just started using reusable cleansing wipes. They are great I only have a few from etsy but plan on upcycling an old tee-shirt and a hand towel I don't use, to make more so as I can stick them in a mesh bag with my normal wash weekly. I just need to retrieve my old sewing machine from my dad's house.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £5+
    Do hands count as a "reusable" face wipe? I don't use a cloth or anything other than my hands and find I get just as good results and don't have to put a dozen or more muslin cloths through the washing machine every week! I occasionally use facial wipes if I am unable to wash my face properly (eg when out and about and needing to apply more SPF in the summer or something) but they really sting my skin when I use them so I try not to do that.

Whilst I'd like to say that environmental and financial reasons are what motivate me to act the way I do, I have to be honest and say it's down to laziness and not wanting my skin to sting!
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    £0
    Yes, it's called a FLANNEL!

Face wipes are a waste of money and put chemicals into the skin.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £0
    Also so called face wipes do not remove make up properly and you will get block pores. You need to clean your face properly.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A flannel also acts as a mild "exfoliant" so much better all round. And they last years and years. Cheaper, better for the skin (no nasty chemicals) and better for the environment

My aunt used to cut up old worn towels, and then make a "mit type" flannel with the unworn bits of towelling..... genius.
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use baby wipes a lot - from Aldi. However they are re-usable, I just chuck them in the washing machine and they wash and wash and wash and wash. In terms of eco-destructibility it's very depressing how many washes they can take before they start to disintegrate. A packet can last ages and when no good for face (with cleanser) they do a great job on messy cat food bowls, swishing round bathroom - god what else - loads of things. Then chucked in fire.

Flannels remind me too much of days out with my parents when all our hands and faces were washed with a slimy flannel from a plastic bag, smelt of jam, my sticky brothers and very yucky.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 April 2017 at 12:12PM
    Options
    You are meant to use flannels once on your face and then your body and then chuck them in the wash and you certainly aren't meant to share them or use them on your face after you have used them elsewhere. :eek:

(Btw I am trained beauty therapist).

Another very good thing to use is a facial cleansing sponge. Again great for gentle daily exfoliation. A pack of two is £1. I cut them in half. You can use them for around a month if you keep clean them with soapy water after each use and pop them in a sterilising solution every couple of days.

But if you can wash aldis wipes and then wear them out for general cleaning then that's great.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure