passport number required to book flight, or just online check in?

Options
It's been a few months since I booked a flight so I can't remember at which stage I will need to enter my passport number; is it required when you book, or not untilyou check in online?

(Context: I want to book a flight today / tomorrow but between booking and flying,I will need to renew my passport.)

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,335 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I have never had to provide a passport number when booking.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are supposed to give the API data before checking in but doesnt have to be at point of sale
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    depends on the airline , sometimes i have been asked on booking sometimes not
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    I've never encountered any airline where it is needed to book a flight, many do require the information before you are able to check in though.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You might not know your passport number at the time of booking. A passport valid for the date of travel might not yet have been issued at the time of booking, particularly if an existing passport has yet to be renewed.
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had bookings that will not issue a ticket until the passport info has been added to the booking but that depends on the airline and the route or in some cases a valid form of identity.

If your booking direct with an airline this might not be required.

If you do have to add passport information add your current valid passport then call the airline to change the details when you get the new passport.

I dont think a passport expiry date and the destination requirements for passport validity have any effect on booking or ticketing.
  • Double_V
    Double_V Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    You only need Passport number when you check-in online before 24hours.
    So you can go ahead book all the flights. :)

Once logged in to your account, you can always update passport number section.

Happy & safe flying.
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    Options
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    I have had bookings that will not issue a ticket until the passport info has been added to the booking but that depends on the airline and the route or in some cases a valid form of identity.
    Agreed.

There are a few airlines and route which won't issue the tickets until valid passport details have been added to the booking. It's rare, but it does happen, usually on trans-Atlantic and Far East routes. In the past two weeks, I've encountered it with flights to Nashville and Kuala Lumpur, and both occassions were family bookings.

Check the info on the airline's website, or if using an agent, ask what the last ticketing date is if you made a booking.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blue264 wrote: »
    It's rare, but it does happen, usually on trans-Atlantic and Far East routes. In the past two weeks, I've encountered it with flights to Nashville and Kuala Lumpur, and both occassions were family bookings.

Who are you flying with to the USA? I fly to the states at least 4 times a year, at one point it was every fortnight, and never have had to provide API at the time of booking with any of the airlines or booking agents I've used.

Some may ask for it, if you happen to have it to hand, but never been conditional.
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    Who are you flying with to the USA? I fly to the states at least 4 times a year, at one point it was every fortnight, and never have had to provide API at the time of booking with any of the airlines or booking agents I've used.

Some may ask for it, if you happen to have it to hand, but never been conditional.

I agree, I'm approaching 1,000,000 miles, spread over 52 airlines, and have never had to provide passport details to get a ticket issued. Quite often I don't even know which passport I'll be flying on until the week of departure. Many airlines request the details, but I've never encountered one that insists on details being provided at the time of booking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure