DWP just rang me re-ESA...

Options
Just missed a call, I don't answer numbers I don't know but I googled it and it was from DWP, regarding my ESA claim, they text me to say they had received it yesterday, anyone ever had a call?? Any idea why they are calling me?

My anxiety is through the roof, they are ringing me back in the morning, I'm so nervous!
Biggest wins- 32" LCD tv, £400 Audio bundle,

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you have just made the claim, the most likely reason is that some information is missing and they are attempting to gather it. Nothing to worry about.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    emmeey wrote: »
    Just missed a call, I don't answer numbers I don't know but I googled it and it was from DWP, regarding my ESA claim, they text me to say they had received it yesterday, anyone ever had a call?? Any idea why they are calling me?

My anxiety is through the roof, they are ringing me back in the morning, I'm so nervous!

Please don't be anxious.

From my experience the DWP are using phone calls and text messages in an effort to speed up processes rather than use letters and wait for a reply. This can only be a good thing.

If you are nervous about taking a call then can you have someone there for support?

It is probably some simple question/clarification that they need answered.
  • emmeey
    emmeey Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Please don't be anxious.

From my experience the DWP are using phone calls and text messages in an effort to speed up processes rather than use letters and wait for a reply. This can only be a good thing.

If you are nervous about taking a call then can you have someone there for support?

It is probably some simple question/clarification that they need answered.

Thanks everyone is saying different things, I've heard they ring to say your in the support group or something

and yes my mum is going to be here :)
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    Thanks everyone is saying different things, I've heard they ring to say your in the support group or something

and yes my mum is going to be here :)

I am sorry to say that if you made your claim yesterday (and assuming this is your first claim) then it won't be to say which group you are in :)

It might be a good idea if you have a read of this whole process so you have an idea of how it works.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/employment-and-support-allowance-overview
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You will generally be in the assessment phase for the first 13 weeks. During that time you will receive a form called an ESA50 to complete with your medical history. That goes to the medical assessment people who will either call you in for interview or make an assessment based on the information you provide. The medical assessment is supposed to happen within the first 13 weeks but that isn't always happening. If the assessment takes longer, and you are eventually placed in one or other of the groups, any additional monies due will be backdated to the end of the 13th week.
  • emmeey
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    I am sorry to say that if you made your claim yesterday (and assuming this is your first claim) then it won't be to say which group you are in :)

It might be a good idea if you have a read of this whole process so you have an idea of how it works.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/employment-and-support-allowance-overview

I heard they have scraped the 13 week assessment thing, because they are so back logged,and some people are being put straight on it, ahh guess i'll find out tomorrow
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    I heard they have scraped the 13 week assessment thing, because they are so back logged,and some people are being put straight on it, ahh guess i'll find out tomorrow

I'm not sure where you heard that.

Certainly people can be put into a group without a face to face assessment.

There is a huge backlog of people who are waiting for an ESA assessment and certainly some of these will be put into a group without an assessment if there is sufficient evidence to warrant it and thereby reducing the backlog. I would be very surprised if this happened to a claim of one day.

Having said that, the backlog varies from area to area so if your area if up to date you never know. :)

Do let us know!
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options

Who do you hear these things off - possibly better to get a more reliable source of information? ;)
  • emmeey
    Options
    Maybe I phrased it wrong, they were putting people straight onto the lower rate without an assessment UNTIL the assessment, but that was taking a year to 18months,
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe I phrased it wrong, they were putting people straight onto the lower rate without an assessment UNTIL the assessment, but that was taking a year to 18months,

They have always put people on the assessment rate until the WCA. They continue to do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure