Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

TV Licensing and new Sky

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
5 replies 1.2K views
MiamiMiami Forumite
70 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
I moved into my own place seven months ago and didn't purchase a TV licence, as my terrestrial signal is so bad that it's impossible to get a clear picture and the sound is staticky. I live in a block of flats, so went in search of the communal satellite aerial only to discover that it was connected to all my neighbours except for me :mad:

I chose not to take out a TV subscription at the time as I couldn't afford the cost, but today I came across a deal on TopCashback offering £120 for signing up with Sky for 12 months, with 25% off any TV bundle (I chose the Original as it suits my needs and is cheapest) and £75 bill credit, with a free Sky+HD box and only £10 installation fees. I purchased it through Sky (subject to the engineer being able to install the satellite) but now I have a question.

For the past seven months I've been legally licence free as my TV is only used for playing games on consoles. Subsequently, all correspondence to "The Occupier" from TVL has gone directly from the hall carpet to the recycling bin. However, I'm now wondering whether I'll need to take out a licence, as I work evenings (when many of the programmes I enjoy are broadcast) so I would primarily be recording programmes and watching them after work, which, if I've understood the rules correctly, mean that I am watching On Demand and NOT live TV and will not require a TV licence, as long as I don't watch TV live. But my Sky box will be capable of receiving live TV, so even if I don't use it to watch TV live, would I still need to pay for a TV licence because of this?

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I just want to be certain that I'm not inadvertently breaking the law. Thank you in advance :)
SPC #080

Replies

This discussion has been closed.