Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Somewhere on gov.uk (cannot find link now) it says HMRC are reviewing last years tax for everyone between June and October so you should hear in the next couple of months.
  • leeroy3636
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems that HMRC are indeed dragging their heels on rebates, funny that its a different story when taking it from us !
    I have had cause to complain twice in writing in recent years to HMRC about very poor service, their advice on the phone concerning my tax affairs after being made redundant, was extremely vague to say the least.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    leeroy3636 wrote: »
    ... very poor service, their advice on the phone ... was extremely vague to say the least.

Whereas you have chosen not to reply to a direct question. Pot and Kettle.
  • captainbeaker
    Options
    leeroy3636 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems that HMRC are indeed dragging their heels on rebates, funny that its a different story when taking it from us !
    I have had cause to complain twice in writing in recent years to HMRC about very poor service, their advice on the phone concerning my tax affairs after being made redundant, was extremely vague to say the least.

I called them a month ago, they are waiting for documents from employers, like P60 and P11b which is statement of allowances and benefits from employer like medical insurance etc, employer has to end of July to submit everything.
  • TheAngelStardust
    Options
    In April, but before the end of the tax year, I gave my husband the full allowable amount towards his tax and he has received notice of change.
    At the same time that I applied, I had notificaiton that he would receive a cheque for a certain amount. The cheque has not yet arrived. How long should I reasonably wait and what should I do if it fails to arrive?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Which year or years did you apply for?

If it was 2016:17 and you applied before the end of the year did his employer not make a tax refund via his wages when he got his notice of change (do you mean new tax code?)
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In April, but before the end of the tax year, I gave my husband the full allowable amount towards his tax and he has received notice of change.
    At the same time that I applied, I had notificaiton that he would receive a cheque for a certain amount. The cheque has not yet arrived. How long should I reasonably wait and what should I do if it fails to arrive?
    Firstly, just to clarify, you can only transfer 10% of the Personal Allowance or nothing at all.

If the refund cheque included the allowance for 2016/17 then other posts on here suggest it is likely to be a month or two before it is received.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Bassettcaravan
    Options
    I'm so confused by HMRC at moment I get a different story every time I call. I applied to transfer my allowance to my husband back in April. It was approved I got an email and my husband's tax code changed a few weeks later. I was told I should get a refund for last year and to expect a cheque. Since then I called to chase and was told they were delayed but I was definitely getting one. Then I called and was told it was on its way in the post as we speak. Then I called and was told as I transferred the allowance to my husband they could no longer speak to me? And my husband had to call? So my husband called today and was then told that there has been no application put in and i had to complete paperwork? But his tax code has changed? I have no idea what's happening can anyone shed any light in this. I'd just quite like to get my refund back and i can't get a straight answer.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm so confused by HMRC at moment. . .
    . . . and so is HMRC. See post #962 above which may help.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 11 July 2017 at 11:08PM
    Options
    Bassettcaravan

If you applied it is highly unlikely you are ever going to get a repayment because you have agreed to give some of your tax allowance away to your husband. As a result he will probably pay less tax but you will only ever pay the same or more tax as a result of doing this.

Which tax years did you apply for? Sounds like a new tax code has sorted things for this year (2017:18) but did you also apply for an earlier year or years.

I am at a loss as to why a refund would be on its way to you unless you happen to be due a refund for some other reason unconnected to your application for Marriage Allowance?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback