Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Caryne
    Caryne Posts: 687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »

Thanks for that. He's logged into it now and it shows exactly the same for him as it does on my application page, that is the allowance is 'active' for this year and that the 2015-2016 has been 'Applied for Retrospectively'. So, sadly, I'm none the wiser.

All I really want to know, as I have said, is whether anyone who has applied in 2017 has actually had the promised cheque for last tax year's refund?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All I really want to know, as I have said, is whether anyone who has applied in 2017 has actually had the promised cheque for last tax year's refund?

See post from dazed and confused above.
    If the personal account doesn't help probably best for hubby to phone and ask why the refund hasn't been paid yet, as you have said he doesn't need to apply or do anything else, only you could do that as the lower earner.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Caryne wrote: »
    Thanks for that. He's logged into it now and it shows exactly the same for him as it does on my application page, that is the allowance is 'active' for this year and that the 2015-2016 has been 'Applied for Retrospectively'. So, sadly, I'm none the wiser.

As I said previously. A few weeks - you don't say how many- may not be long enough at what is a very busy time of year,

The claim would be logged on the computer when received and then it would join the queue of correspondence waiting to be dealt with. How long that is depends on how many other bits of correspondence are in front it in the queue.

Your husband's tax office may be able to advise the present time scale for being dealt with.
  • londonh
    Options
    Can you get this if you're on maternity leave?
  • nrshahmeru
    Options
    Hello,
    Just wanted clarification on qualification on marriage tax allowance. Is the £11,000 limit applicable to basic earning or would this include any overtime gained within the financial year? in our situation if we removed all overtime gained then we could qualify as the basic income is under £11k.
  • jsty3105
    jsty3105 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I've been trying to find out more information as a customer service person from HMRC said that on top of the existing requirements, the Marriage Tax Allowance was also only for UK citizens (or EU nationals), so we aren't eligible to apply.

My wife doesn't work and I'm a basic rate taxpayer. We both have Indefinite Leave to Remain visas and permanently reside in England

Can others here confirm whether the customer service person is indeed correct or whether I should try to contact HMRC again?
  • jsty3105
    jsty3105 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    bfresh wrote: »
    Yes, I'm in the situation and applied and got this. Just takes a 10 min call to HMRC from you and the Mrs.
    Do you remember more or less what you said when you made the call?

When we tried before, we informed HMRC that we had attempted to make an online application but have been unsuccessful because it requested for more information to identify her with (we don't have UK passports but both have indefinite leave to remain)
  • girllikeme1
    Options
    londonh wrote: »
    Can you get this if you're on maternity leave?

Yes, I had this whilst on mat leave and just cancelled it for the following tax year when I was back at work and earning more than the threshold.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,879 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    nrshahmeru wrote: »
    Hello,
    Just wanted clarification on qualification on marriage tax allowance. Is the £11,000 limit applicable to basic earning or would this include any overtime gained within the financial year? in our situation if we removed all overtime gained then we could qualify as the basic income is under £11k.

The overtime will be being taxed though, so there's no benefit in using the marriage allowance - what one half of the couple gains, the other will lose.
  • StinkyMonkey
    Options
    What if someone eans less than £43K taxable icome but only AFTER salary sacrifice (for pension payments and childcare vouchers)? Are they elgible for the MA (if their other half is a non-tax payer)?

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure