Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• clappyclaps
    Options
    Hi all,

How easy is it to manage/view transactions on the Clarity, Monza or Revolut cards? How quickly do the transactions tend to appear on your account or be debited from the preloaded amount?

I'm only asking as I'm debating getting one of these cards for my trip to the USA in 3 weeks, instead of doing my usual which is taking all cash. However I usually give myself a daily budget and so ideally I need to be able to monitor what I've spent on a daily basis, and I'm not sure how easy that is to do with any of these cards. My only alternative is to keep receipts and count up at the end of the day.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    Monzo, Starling Bank, Revolut will show immediately. Clarity may show as Pending for some hours
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I need to be able to monitor what I've spent on a daily basis, and I'm not sure how easy that is to do with any of these cards.
    It's very easy with Monzo, Loot and Starling Bank, transactions appear instantly on the app (if your phone is online) and itemized reports are available. Loot has a kind a budgeting function (which I haven't tried). The Halifax app also gives instant indication of Clarity card transactions, initially as 'pending'.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • clappyclaps
    Options
    That great to hear, thank you both very much!
  • Kimberliexx
    Options
    Hi any recommendations for prepaid cards to use in Asia - 5 week trip Mainly used for accommodation tia
  • eDicky
    Options
    Ian786 wrote: »
    For anyone looking to sign up for sterling bank and is looking for a passcode they can use this Y2RU83D6
    Is that the Wisconsin, Missouri or Nigerian Sterling Bank? I don't think any of them do prepaid cards...
  • Banshee298
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm not a well-travelled person, the last time I went abroad was 17 years ago and I went with parents who were all clued up on the way to do things at the time.

I am going to Australia for 3 weeks and think a pre-paid card would be a sensible option but although I've looked at the Monzo card which seems to be highly rated I can't see a very good explanation of what the Mastercard rate is or what other charges there are (if any). I'm sorry, I'm just not very good at this!

My mother is also going and she doesn't have a smartphone (hence the earlier commend about clued up at the time!!!), can you recommend a card that would be good for her?

Thanks in advance!
  • eDicky
    Options
    Banshee298 wrote: »
    I can't see a very good explanation of what the Mastercard rate is or what other charges there are (if any). I'm sorry, I'm just not very good at this!

My mother is also going and she doesn't have a smartphone
    Monzo has no fees and the daily MasterCard rate is the best you can hope for.

For your mother the Virgin Money Essential account gives a MasterCard without overseas fees for purchases, £1.50 per cash withdrawal, and requires no smartphone.
  • Cee.mass
    Options
    Hi all,

I created a new thread but just realized theres a section here dedicated to travel cards.

I'm Just looking for some opinion and advice. I've searched the forum and it seems like the general opinion is Monzo and Revolut are the best PrePaid Travel cards.

Unfortunately I've left this to the last minute and am travelling to Malta on Thursday. Both these cards require around a week turnaround time it seems.

What other provider would anyone recommend for withdrawals and purchases that i could collect in person or receive in 2 days?

Many Thanks
  • eDicky
    Options
    Have you signed up for Monzo? The card usually (used to at least) only take a day or two to arrive.

If you are in southeast England with access to a Metro Bank branch you can walk in, open an account and walk out with their fee-free for Europe debit card in about forty minutes.

A Revolut card can be dispatched very quickly for additional fee.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure