Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• shafiq
    shafiq Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    in this link, the following is written:

1) This card from Monzo* charges no fees at all – it's free to spend and withdraw cash (though individual ATMs may charge). Plus, it uses the rate set by Mastercard, which is near perfect.

While the exchange rate's theoretically not as good as the interbank rate used by some of the cards below, we've heard of the Mastercard rate beating it occasionally. Let us know what you've experienced.

2) For Revolut, it say "The prepaid Mastercard from Revolut works using its app and gives perfect interbank rates..."
    Then under Key Questions, it says "How good is Revolut's exchange rate? Revolut's exchange rate is the best you can get for the majority of currencies, as it uses interbank rates, which tend to be slightly higher than Mastercard's or Visa's rates. "
    Should that be that it is "lower" as under Monzo text, it says the exch rate is not as good as the interbank rate?
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    shafiq wrote: »
    Should that be that it is "lower" as under Monzo text, it says the exch rate is not as good as the interbank rate?
    There's very little difference between the interbank rates and MasterCard rates. Every time I've done a direct comparison MasterCard has won, but if you're lucky you'll get a decent interbank rate and that'll win.

Revolut don't offer interbank rates on all currencies and apply a markup during weekends, so which card is better for you will also depend on which currencies you spend and when you spend.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    it uses interbank rates, which tend to be slightly higher than Mastercard's or Visa's rates. "
    The word 'better' should be used instead of 'higher'. The writer is presumably thinking in terms of a higher number of euros, for example, per pound - but it's just as valid to view it the other way around, as you seem to be doing.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Rupesh_Mishra
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm Rupesh and I'm new to the forum and I need some travel money advice. I'm travelling to southeast Asia more specifically Cambodia, Malaysia and India for a couple of months in September and i'm currently looking for the cheapest way to spend my pounds in Cambodia with minimal charges.
    Cambodia is a essentially a dual currency country where US Dollar is used for transactions above $1 and Cambodian Riel for below. I've been reading advise on the website in regards to travel credits cards, debit cards and pre-paid cards. However I'm unsure as to which one I should use as I don't want to carry a lot of cash.
    I currently have money saved up in my HSBC current account however I do not currently have a regular source of income so I'm not eligible for a credit card as I found out from the Eligibility calculator on MSE. So currently only prepaid cards/overseas debit cards seem to be the only options available to be.
    Would you guys be able to advise me as to which I should get as i'm guessing in i will need to withdraw money more often in Southeast Asia.

Regards
    Rupesh Mishra
  • REDROB
    REDROB Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughter got a pre loaded Euro card from Thompson (it was convenient at the time) She has noticed that the amount available for withdrawal is less than the amount she put on it. She has paid HER moneyto get the card why are they keeping some of HER money?
    I guess that they will caherge her some fee to discharge the final balance back to her.
    Has any one any thoughts on this?
    I have just got a Fair FX card. I cannot see any small print saying the amount I have to spend is restricted.
  • eDicky
    Options
    REDROB wrote: »
    My daughter got a pre loaded Euro card from Thompson (it was convenient at the time) .
    No it wasn't. It would have been more convenient and cheaper to simply use her bank debit card or credit card for euro transactions and withdrawals, even with the highest fees. Perhaps you mean the Thompson salesperson successfully sold her the card.
  • eDicky
    Options
    REDROB wrote: »
    I guess that they will caherge her some fee to discharge the final balance back to her.
    Has any one any thoughts on this?.
    This may be worth trying - she can sign up for a Revolut account on the app, then attempt to top up the Revolut euro balance with the Thompson card. If successful the euros can be changed to pounds at the interbank rate (weekdays) and withdrawn to her bank account, or used next trip with the Revolut MasterCard (£5). If unsuccessful, the attempt cost nothing. I unloaded my FairFX card in this way, but that was over a year ago.
  • pantaiema
    pantaiema Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    in this link, the following is written:

1) This card from Monzo* charges no fees at all – it's free to spend and withdraw cash (though individual ATMs may charge). Plus, it uses the rate set by Mastercard, which is near perfect.

While the exchange rate's theoretically not as good as the interbank rate used by some of the cards below, we've heard of the Mastercard rate beating it occasionally. Let us know what you've experienced.

2) For Revolut, it say "The prepaid Mastercard from Revolut works using its app and gives perfect interbank rates..."
    Then under Key Questions, it says "How good is Revolut's exchange rate? Revolut's exchange rate is the best you can get for the majority of currencies, as it uses interbank rates, which tend to be slightly higher than Mastercard's or Visa's rates. "

Interbank exchange rate is updated a few times a day practically could be less than an hour depending on the fluctuation of the currency exchange rate.

MasterCard global exchange rate is updated once in a day.
    So if you are withdrawing cash while they are at the lowest point during that day you might get the exchange rate lower than the MasterCard global exchange rate.
  • Rusty101
    Options
    Hello, I used a Sainsbury Multi Currency Cash Passport for the first time this year. It is set up in Euros, but I have been charged Currency Conversion Fees for withdrawing Euros, and also very high fees for using ATMS. I am also having difficulty with the so called "help line" to query these charges. Has anyone any tips/advice, other than not to use this card in future?
  • eDicky
    Options
    Sainsbury charged these fees, or the ATMs? How were you charged and how much?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure