Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Replies

• NidgeNidge Forumite
    30 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Oldbones1 said:
    Can anyone recommend a prepaid travel account for which my wife and I could have joint access, as in a UK current account?  I’ve had a sole account with FairFX for several years.  They don’t do joint accounts, which is a pity because I’ve been happy with their service.
    Revolut.
  • WhitewashWhitewash Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I had have been with a EasyJet prepaid travel card for some time. All good until this year. Despite many e mails, I can’t get a balance and now the site seems to be frozen due to temporary difficulties. What is going on?
  • IvanDPIvanDP Forumite
    231 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Oldbones1 said:
    Can anyone recommend a prepaid travel account for which my wife and I could have joint access, as in a UK current account?  I’ve had a sole account with FairFX for several years.  They don’t do joint accounts, which is a pity because I’ve been happy with their service.
    Maybe Revolut.
    You can have more than one card associated with the account, so a simple way of having a card each.
    The only downside is that Revolut charge you £4.99 for the physical cards.
  • Day_Dreamer_7Day_Dreamer_7 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Can anyone recommend a good pre pay travel card please ? My son is currently in Australia, he has had an STA card which has been great. But once his current card expires, it will no longer be available to renew. It's been perfect to be able to get money to him instantly, any advice would be appreciated as there are so many to choose from. 
  • MagnoliaMagnolia Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    We have been using Caxton FX for several years now without any issue.  All done online.

Mags - who loves shopping
  • Day_Dreamer_7Day_Dreamer_7 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Magnolia said:
    We have been using Caxton FX for several years now without any issue.  All done online.

Thank you, but it looks as if only the card holder can top it up. We need something that we can send money quickly to. 
  • plusmanplusman Forumite
    33 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Try the Revolut or TransferWise cards. Anybody should be able to transfer money to them. Also better exchange rates than many others.
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just have the card in your name and give it to him to use.  We sent our son and wife shopping with ours several times with no issue 
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The STA card will probably have cost more to use than his regular UK bank debit card with associated fees.

Assuming that you will mail the card to him after his applying for an account using your UK address, Starling Bank is your best option. You can then send him funds by faster payment in the normal way.

Wise (formerly TransferWise) would be a good option, but without the FSCS protection of a real bank account, and can probably by applied for using an Australian address. Revolut likewise, but their customer service if you ever need it is dismal. Forget other prepaid 'currency' cards such as Caxton with their fees and exchange rate margins.
    Evolution, not revolution
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    eDicky said:
    Forget other prepaid 'currency' cards such as Caxton with their fees and exchange rate margins.
    There are no fees with caxton black card.