Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Replies

• eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pre Paid card for SA

Looking for some advice. My (when she travels) 18 year old daughter is heading to South Africa in July to volunteer with some friends and a 2 teachers from her school. The teacher (who is South African) has advised that they take a prepaid travel card, but looking at the 2 'advertised' on MSE, neither allows rands. Do we open a new bank account, that allows international debit transactions? I'm not keen on the credit card option, not that she should be getting one as she has just left school!
    Most prepaid cards are not good value or convenience compared to the modern solutions, which convert from pounds to any currency at the ideal MasterCard rate when used:

Starling Bank - https://www.starlingbank.com/ (minimum age 16)

Loot - https://loot.io/ (prepaid account, min age 18)

Monzo Bank - https://monzo.com/ (min age 16, £200/mth limit on fee-free ATM use)

Choose and take at least two for safety, always pay in local currency and reject any ATM offer to convert pounds.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • EveryWhereEveryWhere
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pre Paid card for SA

Looking for some advice. My (when she travels) 18 year old daughter is heading to South Africa in July to volunteer with some friends and a 2 teachers from her school. The teacher (who is South African) has advised that they take a prepaid travel card, but looking at the 2 'advertised' on MSE, neither allows rands. Do we open a new bank account, that allows international debit transactions? I'm not keen on the credit card option, not that she should be getting one as she has just left school!

Look forward to your help

...or get one of these debit card accounts before she hits eighteen; https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexone/whats-flexone
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    26.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies for sounding thick but are starling/monzo credit or debit cards.
    I need something for spending in Croatia, and parent is looking for the best/cheapest card to use in Australia to use for spending in restaurants etc but also potentially at ATM.
    Had a look at the MSE guide and got confused.

Thanks
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    elsien wrote: »
    Apologies for sounding thick but are starling/monzo credit or debit cards.
    They are bank debit cards.
  • Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have a question: I have about 600EUR in cash and I'm going to Spain in two months. Is there a euro payment card account which will let me load it with some of this cash in person over the counter, either in GB or Spain, without paying any fees? I don't fancy the idea of having all that cash with me on holiday, but if I'm going to spend at least some of it anyway I don't want to shell out a load of needless commission.
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a euro payment card account which will let me load it with some of this cash in person over the counter, either in GB or Spain, without paying any fees?
    Welcome to the forum and no, such a thing doesn't exist. It's not at all a huge amount, just take care of it and you'll be fine, enjoy your trip.
  • adindasadindas Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am interested in opening N26 account to be used when I am traveling to Euro Zone. Also to be used to Lock £ to Euro currency when the exchange rate £/EUR is favorable. Also occasionally to be used to keep Euro if I got paid in Euro.

I already have KBC euro account, but I will try to back it up just in case this account get closed in the future.

In the past I have tried Commerzbank, DKB, but no luck due to not residing in Germany.

It seems that N26 is one alternative
    https://n26.com/en-eu/euro-bank-account

1. Is this account any good and work similar with KBC account for Uk resident ?? I mean it is a proper bank account where you could do most of bank transactions in euro with no annual fee ?

2. Apart form N26 is there any other alternative for Euro Account that could work similar to KBC bank for UK residence ?
    I have read about Fineco but I am not interested at the moment due to not favourable exchange rate.

3. I don't really fancy using Mobile banking. Could this account be opened, operated online using internet banking ?

Thank for your suggestion.
  • Hi All,
    Sorry, I am new here but have a quick query related to prepaid currency cards.
    I have. Thomas Cook Currency Passport - I have had it for a few years and have money on it currently for my next holiday.
    With the news on thomas cook, do we think the money is secure? As in, is it still associated with thomas cook or is it secure and held elsewhere? My research suggests it is with mastercard - but I wasnt sure and wanted to ask if anyone else knows? Thanks
    Laura
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Laura. The Thomas Cook 'Cash Passport' and 'Lyk' cards are issued by Wirecard, who if I heard correctly are also struggling a little. The funds have to be held in a segregated account, so fairly safe, but you can have full FSCS protection and much better value than such cards by using a real bank that charges nothing for overseas use, such as Starling Bank, Monzo, or Metro Bank (Europe only).
  • Hello, I’m a little bewildered by all the card options available but basically my 18 year old son is going on his first ‘lads holiday’ and we have been looking at getting one of these pre paid cards so he doesn’t have lots of cash on him at one time. Which ones are the best on the market? I don’t want him having a ‘credit’ card one as I’m not happy with him taking out credit at 18 and getting into dept!
    Any advice please? Ideally one that has an app would be preferred.