Ryannair at it again

Options
The latest trick from Ryannair to get extra money from customers.
You must check in between 7 days & 2 hours before flying and until recently you could book to sit anywhere. Now however if the return flight is more than 7 days away, you are forced to choose a seat and pay an extra £12 for it. You can of course check in while you are abroad, but this would mean having access to a printer and the internet and the powers that be at Ryannair know that their customers will prefer not to do that. It's a decidedly dodgy hidden cost.

Comments

• budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Ryanair dont fly to Artic or the middle of the Sahara so the chances of not being able to get internet are pretty slim to zero.
    If its such a big deal, fly with a more expensive airline next time.
    Moan moan moan. What next, no prosseco or nuts.?
  • Photobloke
    Options
    Your reply is most unhelpful. I believe that this is a concern to many of Ryannair's customers. Add ons to the advertised cost of flights has for a long time been a problem and very often the subject of investgations and this is yet another
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    It is not a hidden cost - your options are clearly explained during the booking process. I have yet to find a hotel that does not have a printer.

The airline is called Ryanair.
  • Photobloke
    Options
    I still believe there is cause for invesigation. Thank-you for pointing out my mistake with the name of the airline
  • LutonGirl
    LutonGirl Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    Ryanair reports passenger numbers are up 11%. They must be doing something right. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32880096

OP, who do you think should investigate? As tomtontom has said, the charges are all laid out during the booking process - and when you book, you tick to say you abide by the terms and conditions.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Photobloke wrote: »
    I still believe there is cause for invesigation. Thank-you for pointing out my mistake with the name of the airline

What exactly would you like investigating - the fact that this charge is (not in any way) hidden, or are you suggesting it is unfair in some way? What do you feel is unfair about expecting someone to access a printer in a busy Spanish resort, or perhaps use their boarding pass app as an alternative?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Photobloke wrote: »
    The latest trick from Ryannair to get extra money from customers.
    You must check in between 7 days & 2 hours before flying and until recently you could book to sit anywhere. Now however if the return flight is more than 7 days away, you are forced to choose a seat and pay an extra £12 for it. You can of course check in while you are abroad, but this would mean having access to a printer and the internet and the powers that be at Ryannair know that their customers will prefer not to do that. It's a decidedly dodgy hidden cost.

Shocking!

I was really ripped off by Ryan's Air: I flew from Bristol to near Barcelona, and they made me pay for a ticket!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    there are plenty of airlines that only allow checking 24 hours in advance. eg BA, you can pay to reserve a seat (if you do not hold status) which you will be able to check into from 24 hours in advance or you wait till checkin opens and take what is left...Ryanair offering this from 7 days in advance is much more convenient as you have more opportunity to pop into an internet cafe when passing rather than just from the day before departure
  • sidefx
    sidefx Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    Where did you get £12 from.

If you pick your seat at the time of purchase it costs 5.99 euros!! That's less than £5 at todays exchange rate!!

As stated above it's all there in their T&C's so if you don't like it use another airline!
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, check in using the app (yes, you would need to find somewhere with wi-fi, but that's not difficult these days in most places) and you don't need to worry about a printer for the majority of Ryanair destinations.

This isn't new from Ryanair, it has been in place for some time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure