Crisis Loan Fraud

Options
Hi All

Forgive me if this is the wrong messageboard to post this on, I am new to this!

OK so I got a very worrying call this morning from social fund to say I have to repay back some crisis loans taken out in 2012. I have always worked and never needed a crisis loan so I have definitely not taken one of these out, the person on the phone said I owe £450 and it would be taken out of my wage at £100 a month. I explained that it was not me and I want this investigating. Somebody has obviously stolen some identification from me, I have an inkling who this could be but obviously I cant go accusing people without any evidence.

So my questions are, will these people take money from my wage? I really cant afford to lose £100 a month. Also surely these guys record calls or have cctv footage to prove it wasn't me that applied for these loans?

Many Thanks

Dave

Comments

• NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it's strange that they contacted you by phone but you've not had any written communication from them... :think:

If you have any idea of who it may be, you should get as much information together that you can so that you can let the DWP know who they should really be chasing for the debt.
  • dking1234
    Options
    I found that strange as well, I have moved house since 2012, maybe that is why? I have no idea how they have got my phone number. I have nothing to prove this guy did it, it is just a friend of a friend really that came to my house a few times when I held barbeques, I always thought he was dodgy. Surely whoever did it will be easy to catch, just check cctv/phonecalls
  • SandraScarlett
    SandraScarlett Posts: 4,133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dking1234 wrote: »
    I found that strange as well, I have moved house since 2012, maybe that is why? I have no idea how they have got my phone number. I have nothing to prove this guy did it, it is just a friend of a friend really that came to my house a few times when I held barbeques, I always thought he was dodgy. Surely whoever did it will be easy to catch, just check cctv/phonecalls

If it was a guy who came to your house for barbeques, I doubt he would have been able to give your National Insurance number, as well as documentation to prove who you were.

I'm surprised you were telephoned and not written to, so I would ask for proof of the loan being given, signature showing your receipt, etc. HTH

xx
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If someone had applied for and received credit in my name, I'd be straight onto Action Fraud. I'd also check credit reference agencies for other loans applied for/taken out, in my name, Royal Mail for re-direction of mail instructions, my Bank...
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Could the call be from a scammer, that doesn't actually know who you are, who was hoping you would divulge personal details to help them commit fraud ?
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If it was 2012 they may well still have some papers.
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Phone DWP to check if it was really them who called you, if it was, get them to investigate as fraud.

Get a copy of your experian report to make sure no-one has applied for loans/credit cards etc in your name
  • Transformers
    Transformers Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Te DWP would have used the National Insurance number as the main reference and tracing point.

They would have completed some checks of address compared to bank account and circumstances such as job held etc so it would have been quite a few hoops that the applicant would have had to jump through.
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Te DWP would have used the National Insurance number as the main reference and tracing point.

They would have completed some checks of address compared to bank account and circumstances such as job held etc so it would have been quite a few hoops that the applicant would have had to jump through.

Yes. If it really was a crisis loan it's not as straightforward as a budgeting loan. Dates and source of income are essential requirements.

Also, the vast majority of crisis loans are a few quid to tide someone over for a few days.

£450 suggests either multiple loans or a big one for something like household items which were allowed as a crisis loan only if there's a health risk and if it's proven there's a need. Someone would need to show, for example, they have a new unfurnished tenancy.

Not easy if it's not genuine.
  • dking1234
    dking1234 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 28 May 2015 at 11:58AM
    Options
    I am not sure who has done this now, I have spoke to them and asked them to investigate, it seems 3 crisis loans where taken out. I keep racking my brains about who it could be thats done this but surely this should be an easy process for them, just look at cctv and phone recordings?

btw it was definately the right people who called!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure