making sure we are secure!

Options
Hi all I haven't posted for a while.
I'm asking for advice with regards to a recent split with my boyfriend after 8 years. We have a mortgage and 3 boys and we are settled here. Me and my partner have been trying to sort things out but a reconciliation is looking unlikely, I basically want to know where I stand with regards to our assets. He is living with a friend at the moment but has said if we split for good then we will have to sell the house. I am currently paying all the bills including the mortgage by myself and am managing quite reasonably. I guess the question is could he make me sell the house if I can't buy him out, which I can't afford to do?

Any help/advice appreciated

Comments

• Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Can he afford to stay in the house with the kids and buy you out?
    Can you afford another smaller place suitable for the kids?

Since you are not married, the house is not a marital asset so you may need to look at who paid (deposits, mortgages, improvements) and how it is owned.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Mum2Boys wrote: »
    Hi all I haven't posted for a while.
    I'm asking for advice with regards to a recent split with my boyfriend after 8 years. We have a mortgage and 3 boys and we are settled here. Me and my partner have been trying to sort things out but a reconciliation is looking unlikely, I basically want to know where I stand with regards to our assets. He is living with a friend at the moment but has said if we split for good then we will have to sell the house. I am currently paying all the bills including the mortgage by myself and am managing quite reasonably. I guess the question is could he make me sell the house if I can't buy him out, which I can't afford to do?

Any help/advice appreciated

Presumebly you're joint tenants rather than tenants in common. So you each own the whole property, and therefore own 50% each if it was to be sold.

If you're tenants in common it's whatever the % is.

If you cannot afford to buy him out, then you should sell. He has invested financially in the property and there's no reason he shouldnt receive his share to continue his life.

With that in mind, i'd suggest you go to mediation and that may help come to an agreement, as the other option is solicitors and court and the only ones to get paid then are the solicitors.

My personal opinion is, you should not expect to maintain yourstyle at someone else's expense. Just like if it was you who had moved out and he stayed there with the kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure