We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I pay for a shoddy haircut?

Options

Comments

• Alberta24
    Options
    It is awful when you have a haircut you don't like, as hair is very important to most of us.
    However, y
  • Alberta24
    Options
    Continued...
    You also have some responsibility to help her get it right.
    As she didn't get it right the first time and had to attempt to rectify it, the pair of you hadn't communicated well enough for her to understand you.
    Although she's the expert, it is YOUR hair that's being cut so you must ensure she understands.
    Do not, under any circumstances moan about a poor end result if you have told her 'I'll leave it to you', or 'I'm sure you know what suits me'.
    This person is not a mind reader, a psychic and as she hadn't met you before she has not concept of the type of person you are or what you like.

T'he same style but shorter' is only a starting gambit, not the only piece of information you'll have to offer- do you like it over your ears, do you need to tie it back, does it get frizzy/flat/flyway?

As to your situation now, I strongly suggest you contact the salon manager, explain the situation to than and how you felt about it.
    They should then invite you in to see them so they can assess what's happened, retify what they can if you will allow it, and give feedback and training to the stylist so she can improve.

No one can force you to pay, but if the rectified cut is ok I would suggest you pay half the original price to the salon as a goodwill gesture.

If all you do is complain from afar no- one will have gained anything- you'll still have bad hair, the salon will have reduced it's reputation and the stylist will be as bad as ever she was.
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't it for the customer to decide what suits them?

To some extent I agree with you. For example I think the present fashion for dead-straight hair is with a few exceptions most unflattering and I would never contemplate it even if a hairdresser recommended it. On the other hand, one of the reasons for going to a different stylist is to get some suggestions for even a slight change otherwise why bother? I suspect that in the problem we are discussing the woman did not do her research, as I suggested in my original post she should have done, and we do not know exactly how clearly she communicated her wishes to the hairdresser.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Nick wrote: »
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I tried a new hairdresser yesterday - she cut off way more than I asked and it looks terrible. She tried to fix it but I ended up walking out without paying, but now I feel a little bad about it. Should I go back and pay something at least?

I realise this ^^ is a made-up scenario, but yes the same thing happened to me last year. Couldn't get an appointment with my first or second choice of hairdresser and wanted to get my hair cut so I tried the salon around the corner from me.

Without realising that it had changed hands.

The fact that my usual salon was booked up and busy while this salon (which used to have a group of hairdressers and a receptionist) now had just one hairdresser who was sitting there waiting for customers should have rung alarm bells.

She cut wayyyy too much off my hair. I hated it! But I would never even dream of not paying. You pay for their time. It has, however made me very wary of going to a hairdresser again. I've not been back to one since, and am still growing my hair back, about 11 months later :eek:

I agree with the poster about Cellys. I haven't been to one myself but I know these places pay their hairdressers absolute peanuts, and you know what you get if you pay peanuts..
  • Leaporlepor
    Leaporlepor Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    No. The same thing happened to me at Celly's in Worcester and she cut off so much!

A similar thing happened to me in Celly's in Portsmouth. I was sitting there with my glasses off for the cut as usual (my eyesight is bad and could not see her in the reflection well), the hairdresser was busy chatting to the woman cutting the hair next to me. Afterwards (with glasses back on) I thought that it looked a bit funny on the back but didn't notice anything hugely wrong until I got home and tried to tie my hair up and a fair amount of hair kept coming loose. Anyway long story short it turns out that the layers on the top back of my hair were cut five inches shorter that they should have been. A year on and a different hairdresser and my hair is only just coming to the proper length. I've found out since that other friends have had bad haircuts there. It shows that you should always ask around although saying that there are plenty of people who are happy with the cuts and colours that they have had there.

As for paying for a bad hair cut its down to how you feel but you wouldn't pay the dry cleaner if they ruined your clothes and you would expect a refund if your online purchases arrived damaged.
  • stmartinsdiver
    Options
    tindella wrote: »
    No you shouldn't - and I wouldn't recommend her to anybody either. In fact, you could think about taking her to court as you have to walk around with her mistake until it grows out!
    What?! For goodness sake, we're talking about a haircut here not major cosmetic surgery that's gone wrong. It's cost you nothing so just let a grow a bit then go somewhere else to get it done more to your liking.
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wasnt this same questions asked before not too long ago - maybe in the newsletter?
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is this Cellys a chain or franchise? There is one in Taunton. You don't need to book and it's cheap. I went there once to save money as my regular place is quite dear. Big mistake. Haircut was awful and I paid my regular salon to tidy it up. Won't make that mistake again!
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This seems to suggest it's a franchise

http://www.cellys.co.uk/about.php
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    No. She ruined your hair. Not only should you not pay but you should receive some kind of free treatment by way of compensation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport