Ticks

Options
I have picked 5 ticks off my dog this week, they are driving me mad, doesnt seem to matter which spot on treatment I use, he still seems to get them.

He had one on his eye, under his belly, on his back and 2 on his toes.

I have been recommended the "Scalibor collar", has anyone tried it and recommend it.

Comments

• Babbawah
    Babbawah Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, 5 ticks in one week and so early in the season. I haven't seen that many ticks in a whole lifetime.

I'd start by questioning where he gets them from?

If it's from his walks then you seriously need to walk somewhere else. If he doesn't get much walking then you perhaps need to rethink your home hygeine regime.
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Babbawah wrote: »
    Wow, 5 ticks in one week and so early in the season. I haven't seen that many ticks in a whole lifetime.

I'd start by questioning where he gets them from?

If it's from his walks then you seriously need to walk somewhere else. If he doesn't get much walking then you perhaps need to rethink your home hygeine regime.

We live in a village, where we have lots and lots of fields to walk in, where he is off the lead, all the time. He has lots of exercise, and a lot of the fields is long grass.

We also go to wales, every weekend as we have a holdiay home there, and we go walking all weekend, again through lots of fields, woods.

What has my home hygeine regime got to do with ticks, they are picked up from sheep, deers, which are everywhere.
  • Babbawah
    Babbawah Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Sarahdol75 wrote: »
    We live in a village, where we have lots and lots of fields to walk in, where he is off the lead, all the time. He has lots of exercise, and a lot of the fields is long grass.

We also go to wales, every weekend as we have a holdiay home there, and we go walking all weekend, again through lots of fields, woods.

What has my home hygeine regime got to do with ticks, they are picked up from sheep, deers, which are everywhere.

Home hygeine has a lot to do with the tick problem 'cos it's usually the place where they fall off the host.

And when they fall off the host . . . !

IME, ticks only thrive in very narrow environmental conditions, and your home is in their top10 list of desirable habitats.

Somewhere that your dog visits is a heaven for ticks !

You need to ID that place and keep your dog well away.

I've lived with farmstock, working breeds and pets of all descriptions pretty much all of my life, most of everybody near me has too, including the vitnerarys. Never have I come across ANY animal with so many ticks.

Are you sure he's not re-infecting himself off your carpets?
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hoover my carpet every day sometimes twice a day, change his bedding every couple of days, I have never seen any on the carpets or on his bedding.
  • mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sarah ignore babwatsit they do this alot
  • trolleyrun
    trolleyrun Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Babwah is talking out of his/her backside. I'm sure your home is perfectly clean, OP, not that it would influence ticks in any way. This year is going to be prolific for ticks. I read it somewhere, but I can't remember the reason as to why there'll be so many. Keep checking your dog and anyone who takes the dog for a walk. I had to remove one from a friend's dog yesterday and I've removed two from my dog so far this year. I check her every day, a few hours after walkies.
  • janeys
    janeys Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My husband was telling me about this, I found this article in the Independent Here, hope it helps.
  • tigzem
    tigzem Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Options
    My dog has had 3 ticks so far this year, all from one walk in the New Forest. So we're avoiding it until I can get him a Seresto(?) collar from the vets.
    "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little." Edmund Burke
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    Ha, ticks. Our cat used to get them when I was a kid. My dad used to apply a lit cigarette end to the protruding end of the tick, whereupon the beastie would extract itself post haste. Unfortunately, on one occasion, the tick turned out not to be a tick but a nipple.

Boy did the cat shift !
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd be very wary about walking where a dog was picking up ticks. My neighbour was bitten by a tick whilst gardening and got Lymes disease which was awful at the time and she's still getting over it about 2.5 years later.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport