AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• orrery
    orrery Posts: 802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Used twice over the years, and both times about 30 to 45 minutes. I've never had an issue with them.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • danthemoneysavingman
    danthemoneysavingman Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 16 January 2019 at 7:38PM
    Options
    EDIT: OK I worked out how to post a poll, so if you would be so kind as to vote on that, brilliant. Should help a lot of people.

A funny thing is a lot of bad reviews seem to be where someone has been charged £5 more on renewal, or been charged a cancellation fee for cancelling.
    These are both standard insurance industry practices! And barely makes their recovery service bad.
    And is no doubt in the small print.

Ignoring that they appear on a par with AA or RAC as far as I can tell.

Any further thoughts?

Ta
    Let me Google that for you...
  • Tractorbob3
    Options
    The_Goose wrote: »
    I signed up with AutoAid last year, and my cover is coming up for renewal.

I am most put out to find that there is a "Policy Renewal Charge" of £5. What other breakdown companies charge this?

And also, if I take my custom elsewhere, "A minimum charge of £15 +IPT from the insurer will be applicable. We will also deduct a £15 adminstration charge to cancel your policy."

So basically, I am charged £5 to stay with them, and £30 to leave.

There is something not right about this, and I don't know why MSE has not pointed it out in their glowing recommendation for AutoAid.

I haven't had cause to call AutoAid out this year, and looking at the situation overall I think I will reluctantly renew rather than shell out thirty quid for the privilege of not renewing :(. However I can't help but feel they have me (and others) over a barrel :(

I was previously with Britannia Rescue, who I was very happy with, but they hiked up the fee last year and would only reduce it by a fiver, which was why I changed to AutoAid, not least due to said MSE glowing recommendation.

What do other people think? Are these charges normal practice? Britannia Rescue didn't charge me a penny for leaving them, and they certainly never charged me for renewing!

I think this only applies if you cancel the policy. If it is allowed to expire at the end of the term, there is no charge.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So basically, I am charged £5 to stay with them, and £30 to leave.

No.
    There is a difference between cancelling and lapsing.
    You can let if stop and leave and be charged nothing.
  • Eydon
    Eydon Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just went to renew my policy online but it wouldn't accept my payment details. Phoned up and apparently it's because they don't accept Amazon Mastercards or any other card underwritten by New Day.

Ho hum.

So just popped over to Green Flag and got Recovery Plus for £44 for the year and I get £24 cashback via Quidco (£14 standard cashback plus £10 bonus that Quidco are offering until end of Feb apparently), so cover for £20 for the year.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We're considering taking out AutoAid cover but I'm totally confused by the information on their website.

When you go in to put in your personal details it states 'as this is personal breakdown cover, you are covered in any eligible vehicle'

Click on the policy summary and it states 'Cover is for the vehicle and anyone driving it, providing they are legally able'.

So... doesn't look like personal cover to me. (Happy to be proved wrong though)
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 March 2019 at 3:45PM
    Options
    JGB1955 wrote: »
    We're considering taking out AutoAid cover but I'm totally confused by the information on their website.

When you go in to put in your personal details it states 'as this is personal breakdown cover, you are covered in any eligible vehicle'

Click on the policy summary and it states 'Cover is for the vehicle and anyone driving it, providing they are legally able'.

So... doesn't look like personal cover to me. (Happy to be proved wrong though)

They offer personal cover and also vehicle cover.

If you are going for auto aid £44 through Groupon get groupon new member code for extra discount and also cashback sites
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Isiwizzi
    Options
    My Land Rover Defender's accelerator cable broke and I managed to roll into a car park. I called AutoAid to explain the problem and they agreed to send out an recovery truck. I mentioned that as they were coming from a specific direction, it might be prudent to call in at the Land Rover parts place as they would actualy pass by the entrance. They arrived, said they had not been informed about collecting a spare part and had no knowledge of the problem from their control room and I was towed to the garage in my village where they despatched a car to collect the spare part to get me back on the road. I wrote to AutoAid remonstrating and did not even get the courtesy of a response. The only thing this company does is tow to a garage so please do not expect more from AutoAid. They are also now charging a service charge of £5.00 but I am not sure what this charge is actually for.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2019 at 2:44PM
    Options
    Isiwizzi wrote: »
    My Land Rover Defender's accelerator cable broke and I managed to roll into a car park. I called AutoAid to explain the problem and they agreed to send out an recovery truck. I mentioned that as they were coming from a specific direction, it might be prudent to call in at the Land Rover parts place as they would actualy pass by the entrance. They arrived, said they had not been informed about collecting a spare part and had no knowledge of the problem from their control room and I was towed to the garage in my village where they despatched a car to collect the spare part to get me back on the road. I wrote to AutoAid remonstrating and did not even get the courtesy of a response. The only thing this company does is tow to a garage so please do not expect more from AutoAid. They are also now charging a service charge of £5.00 but I am not sure what this charge is actually for.
    A recovery driver won't have the tools or possibly skills to fit an accelerator cable so suggesting to him he could collect the part on route is pointless. If an equipped mechanic attended its unlikely replacing the cable would be considered a roadside repair.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Isiwizzi wrote: »
    My Land Rover Defender's accelerator cable broke and I managed to roll into a car park......

No-one would do that. Who would pay for the cable, particularly if you had been wrong, or they had picked up the wrong part?
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback