AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• Fastflys
    Options
    I have just renewed my AutoAid policy. Last year's premium £41.94, this year £48.31.

I have been a policy holder since 1996 and one of Martin's original Forum members, joining in 2003. It was me who alerted Martin and other forum members to the outstanding value for money AutoAid was and is.

For 22 years, AutoAid have only put up their annual premium by £1 or £2, some years no increase so you can understand why I asked for an explanation of the rise in premium this year of £6.37. I was informed that not only have they stopped the slight discount offered to long time members but have also slapped on a £5.00 "service Charge". plus an annual increase.

Historically annual increases have been around 2-4%. This year around 15%. AutoAId are hiding behind this so called "Service Charge" to increase everyone's annual premium considerably. Does this open the door to future "Service Charge" increases, time will tell.
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The grand total is the figure to focus on. How it is broken down is irrelevant.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My policy ended @ 00.01 01/10/18, @ 0945 Autoaid phoned me to enquire if I was to renew my policy, I informed them that the £5 "service charge" was unacceptable and did nothing re customer loyalty, she "went to see her supervisor ", came back and said we will waive the £5 "service charge", so I renewed over the phone for £43.31. however a bit disappointed that because technically the policy had lapsed, the new policy does not start until 00.01 03/10/18.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Mark_Peters
    Options
    I'm just about to renew my Autoaid cover. I've had their cover since Jan 2011 and during that time had to call them out twice.

First one was a recovery to home when a drive gear on our MGB Roadster failed 1.5hrs from home.

Second was on our return to the UK after a week away and found the car in the airport car park with a flat battery. They jump started it for us.

Excellent on both counts and quick to reimburse.

My wife & I have 3 cars between us so it works really well as it doesn't matter which one we take and for the price really good value

And thank you MSE as I originally discovered them thru your website

Mark
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    I've had AutoAid cover for ten years and not claimed.

This year the £5 "Service Charge" has mysteriously appeared.

Why didnt they charge it for the last ten years?

In other words its a trick to bump up the premium by about 12% whilst touting 15 months cover at the new premium rate for new customers. That three months will make no difference during your lifetime unless you die at the right time, ie within the last three months of cover before you would have renewed ;) and you are paying £5 more than last years premium.

May still be cheaper than competitors but I will be looking at those competitor deals now and not renewing with AutoAid unless I have to.
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

In other words its a trick to bump up the premium by about 12% whilst touting 15 months cover at the new premium rate for new customers. That three months will make no difference during your lifetime unless you die at the right time, ie within the last three months of cover before you would have renewed ;) and you are paying £5 more than last years premium.

May still be cheaper than competitors but I will be looking at those competitor deals now and not renewing with AutoAid unless I have to.

I had a little rant with them about the £5 charge. They claim the charge is a brokerage fee from the inurers. I tried to get it wavered but they wouldn't haveit.

So need to cut of my nose or spite my face and decide whether to renew!
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    frankie wrote: »
    I had a little rant with them about the £5 charge. They claim the charge is a brokerage fee from the inurers. I tried to get it wavered but they wouldn't haveit.

So need to cut of my nose or spite my face and decide whether to renew!

I thought the insurers paid the brokers as that's their 'storefront' to sell the product!

They just want more cash IMO.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options

If you have a spouse, can you not get round this by not renewing in your name, and then have your spouse take out a new policy? Reverse each year? Obviously not helpful for people who don't have a handy spouse :o
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Igol
    Igol Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    Mine is due at the end of the year and in the past I've made use of Quidco and SWMBO, swapping the policy each year so we're a 'new customer', though if the service charge is unavoidable I may look elsewhere.

I've used them 3 times now (a Land Rovers natural habitat being the back of a low loader) first two they were spot on the last time, about 4 years back less so.
    Clutch went at work and as I was on lates I just got a lift home and figured I'd get recovered during office hours on my day off so I wouldn't be hanging around for ever. Recovery eventually came after 5 hours as they couldn't find a local firm, although previous times it was a local mob.
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    If you have a spouse, can you not get round this by not renewing in your name, and then have your spouse take out a new policy? Reverse each year? Obviously not helpful for people who don't have a handy spouse :o

Trouble is its gone up to £48 for new customers too albeit for the bogus inducement of 15 months cover for the price of 12. Then its the higher premium going forward. They are clever, see!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback