We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cat accused of damage?! Help!

Options

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well as well as everything else people have said I would not touch a company who tried to force me into an instant decision. Please be very wary of them.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Least said, soonest mended. I certainly wouldn't be contacting them denying damage by your cat before they accuse you in writing.

And I wouldn't touch their mucky tarmac with a barge pole. I thought those sales tactics died out in the 1970s but apparently not!

Just a thought, if they come back and try strong arm sales tactics on your mother whilst you're not there, would she tell them to go sling their hook?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't give that idiot another thought.
    As for the drive way....look on local Facebook pages for recommendations. We have a very lively local group where tradesmen are not allowed to post, only householders who have actually had wok done and want to recommend.
  • Parisian
    Parisian Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies. I shall see what happens and post here if/when I hear anything! :D

Separate to this company, I've been getting quotes from a few builders registered with Marshall's. It's quite a mindfield and lots of variability in their quotes! Hopefully find someone soon, if any one has any tips let me know!
  • Slinky
    Options
    Parisian wrote: »
    Hopefully find someone soon, if any one has any tips let me know!

Ask for some references from people they have done work for and go along and look at the work.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi
    I would have a chat with mums neighbours re who they used. People 10 doors up from me had their drive done, I chatted with the owner who said they used a company who were recommended to them by another neighbour, result two happy customers. I was also warned off a company by a neighbour.
    HTH
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • JJ1974_2
    JJ1974_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Appalling. I'd certainly make a detailed complaint, stress that it's their business reputation that's being harmed by such unprofessionalism. The idea of being strong-armed into a snap decision is not anyone's idea of a positive experience.

As for the "cat damaged" laptop, he hasn't got a leg to stand on and I wouldn't worry about that for a single second longer.
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    Parisian wrote: »
    Hi All

I had a well known National company come over today to give us a quote for doing our driveway. The appointment was pretty bad from the start - he initially refused to give a quote because my husband/a man wasn't present who could make a decision. I said I make decisions for the house and he would have to leave if there was an issue with me making a decision myself. He ended up calling his Manager to discuss it and then said "I have a family to feed and if you can't make a decision today I can't come back".

So the appointment was off to a pretty bad start! Puchi our kitten was around and sniffed his bag a couple of times, and I had already warned him that I had a curious kitten before we went into my living room.
    At one point we went outside to look at the driveway. When we came back into the living room he said my cat had scratched his laptop. I couldn't see a scratch on the screen. He was tapping away at his phone and then went on quickly to give me a half hearted quote. When I said I wouldn't be making a decision on it today (mainly because the appointment had been so uncomfortable) he exclaimed "See you can't make a decision!" then proceeded to tell me I would be contacted to pay for his laptop, repeatedly.

I was quite shocked. I did not witness our cat damage his laptop and I couldn't see a scratch on the screen but he then showed me a vertical line on the monitor which he said was probably caused by my cat walking on the laptop and this causing cables linked to the screen to be damaged. I took a few photos but said very little apart from apologising ie. did not get into arguments, refute or agree. The whole appointment was terrible from beginning to the end, and I was at a loss for words about how to handle this.
    Overall, I know that I told him a few times to be careful as I have my kitten around. I'm also genuinely sorry if Puchi did cause this, but I actually don't know if he did as I did not witness it or see him anywhere near the laptop when we came back. I didn't say any of this to him at the time because I did not want to provoke him further.

There is more detail to this which I won't bore you with.

What should I do? I feel terrible. Am I liable? I have Petplan insurance but know that cats don't have liability insurance.

More than any silly argument of liability, I just don't wish to have any hassle or trouble with anyone. My mum is really unwell at the moment and we were getting this driveway done to help her... We have so many problems at the moment, and this on top is making me feel slightly more flustered today :(

Any advice would be very much appreciated x

Always astounds me why people let clowns like this into their home
    Say what you like about gypsies, at least they can handle animals!!!

Seriously trust neither, get a decent local firm in.
  • Parisian
    Parisian Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    Very hard to find a decent local firm. I've had 6 Marshall's registered driveway installers out - 1 gave a quick verbal but extortianate quote, 2 haven't bothered to give said quote and 3 will not give a written quote unless I verbally agree to go ahead with them.
  • Slinky
    Options
    I'd feed that back to Marshall's!
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family