We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cat accused of damage?! Help!

Options

Comments

• stir_crazy
    stir_crazy Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Options
    No point in calling the head office, they almost certainly have a policy of trying the hard sell to a couple. Companies who try to insist you are both there should just be told to shove it. Find a local company with a good reputation. They tend to send round a surveyor not a commission based rep of dubious morals.

I have the same attitude with companies who try to insist the deal is done that very day. What people will do for sales commission!

I have a feeling the OP wont hear anything more about the laptop. The salesman seemed to be a thoroughly unpleasant type who wanted to put the willies up you when he realised the appointment started badly and he wasnt getting a sale.
  • Arthog
    Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The owner is not legally responsible for any damage done by a cat, anyway.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The instant he suggested that my decision was not enough, he would have been turned away. Also, the make a decision now stance is rather old hat.

I would not use a large company anyway, as much of the price, like with double glazing, goes on reps' commission. We had a very good job don eon ours by a small local firm, where the man who gave the quotation did some of the work.

I wouldn't make a complaint; just ignore him. Then should he try it on over the laptop, plead ignorance , as there was no one to witness. Besides, why would a cat scratch at a screen, unless it had a moving image, which is very unlikely ?
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    As others have said Cats cannot be held liable and nor can their owners unless it can be proven in court that your actions or inactions caused the damage
    Even then I'd say that it was his decision to bring his property onto yours and therefore the safekeeping of such is his responsibility and his alone.

He's trying it on as he was miffed on losing the commission on the overpriced crap.
    Make a complaint to his head office and refuse to answer anything else from them or him.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Forget this person completely. A cat or its owner is not liable for any damage. He is trying it on.
  • ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a revolting man, I'd have kicked him out of the door the second he mentioned needing to see a man (honestly wth). You can't be held responsible for his laptop damage and I highly doubt your kitten did it anyway, I have two rather large male cats with very sharp claws who paw at my various screens, even used to have an app on my iPad designed for cats to paw at, never had a scratch on anything.
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ignore it . If you have the enrgey, make a complaint (in writing and keep a copy) to head office about his sexist and aggressive behaviour.

Ignore the threats about the laptop.
    (1) He cannot prove it was caused by your cat
    (2) Even if he could, you had told him the cat was there, and he had seen it. If he then chose to negligently leave his laptop unattended and open it is his own problem.
    (3) In addition to proving it was your cat, he would have to prove that you were negligent. You had told him you had a cat and that it was curious. You were no negligent.
    (4) Unlike dogs, cats are not considered to be controlled (or controllable) by their owners so you are not generally responsible for their actions.

As others have said, I would be very surprised if a cat walking in the laptop would have done any damage, but even if it did, it was his choice to leave it open and unattended when he knew there was a cat in the room. I think he was just trying to scare you because he didn't make a sale.

I personally would make a complaint about his behaviour now - quite apart from anything else,it means it doesn't look like tit for tat if he then does try it on about the laptop.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think he is trying to make up for his lack of commission.

The first thing my husband tells any salesman who comes to our house to give a quote is

'I will tell you now I will not be signing and agreement or buying tonight.

I will be getting other quotes'
  • Parisian
    Parisian Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies... I really appreciate it.

He was indeed a nasty piece of work. On the phone to his Manager he thought it was perfectly acceptable to say in front of me... "this is Sale season, and I only have time to do a single sit. I don't get paid more for a double sit unless you are going to approve it". I think "sit" is their terminology for number of visits to secure a decision/Sale. So rude, so many assumptions that I wouldn't be making a decision and this would all be at his expense.

I'm sure whether to approach them myself with a complaint - the cons being the waste of my time and energy, and whatever I say falling on deaf ears as it seems to be the companies policy to push for the "man of the house" to be present. I did however speak to the London Manager on the phone when he was being sexist about the quote who told me to get in touch with him if there were any problems - so he is aware of that part of it, and I have someone to contact directly if I did complain.

The other option is to wait and see what happens - I would obviously contest what he says and happily go all the way to Court if he wants to. I can't say I need the hassle, but some people need to be taught a lesson.
  • Parisian
    Parisian Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I just also add that this is my mothers home I was getting the quote for. I have Power of Attorney and was looking to fit a driveway so myself and her carers can safely transport her from the house to a vehicle and back.
    My partner has nothing to do with the house, does not live here or own any part of it and we are very early in our relationship and not married. He was still insisting he needed to be present!

Gahh!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family