Pet insurance for rescue dogs

Options
We are planning to rehome 2 rescue dogs in the near future. We are thinking that pet insurance is the way to go but as the dogs are 12 years old and have no history (they were abandoned) finding insurance is proving difficult and expensive!

So would you insure 12 year old dogs and does anyone have any recommendations for insuring older dogs?

Comments

• RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tiggermad wrote: »
    We are planning to rehome 2 rescue dogs in the near future. We are thinking that pet insurance is the way to go but as the dogs are 12 years old and have no history (they were abandoned) finding insurance is proving difficult and expensive!

So would you insure 12 year old dogs and does anyone have any recommendations for insuring older dogs?

First of all, well done and THANK YOU for having the decency to offer a chance of happiness to older dogs. Wonderful. I work in a vet practice and have seen the blessings and, honestly, gratitude on show in these situations. If they have no pre-existing conditions, as you say, that does simplify things. I know that Petplan do a policy for older dogs. Some other (possibly one of the Sainsbury options) ones, I'm sure, will exist.

Whatever you decide, thank you for considering taking on these dogs. xx
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco do accident and injury or if you joined The Dogs Trust you would at least be covered for 3rd party pubic liability.

Good luck x
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have two older rescue dogs ( 9 and 12) and I wouldn't dream of taking out insurance for them - much better to put the money aside for any possible future vets bills as premiums are astronomical.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Another 'thank you' from me, I love the 'oldies' and hope to be able to do something similar one day!

No, I wouldn't insure them - the choice will be limited and the premiums huge. Also, you have to consider that there are many things that it wouldn't be fair to put an old dog through, so that would (for me) negate the need for insurance a lot

Much better imho to put the money aside into a 'vet fund' account for them so it's there when needed

I have Accident & Injury Policies (about £6 / month) when my pets get older and I wouldn't do 'extensive' treatment.

If you don't fancy that - then certainly Dogs Trust membership is a must for the liability insurance (£25 / year or 50% of that for OAPs)

Please post some photos when you get them :)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another cheer for you from me :T

I'm an oldie adopter, twice now with a pair of dogs each time. First set were 12 and 13 years old (in 2009) then in 2012 another pair believed to be at least 13 and 9 years old.

I often frequent the oldies club website just to see if there's another that I could possibly add to the brood - unfortunately the one left now is a neurotic drama queen, absolutely devoted to me and it would likely put his nose so far out of joint if I were to get another muttley that its not worth the risk.

I didn't insure either set of dogs but put about £100 a month to one side to cover vet bills should they be needed. Smaller costs (flea/worm treatment,ongoing medication) is funded out of normal monthly spending. I do have Dogs Trust membership though which covers the dogs on 3rd party liability as rubytuesday and RFTA mentioned earlier (£25 a year)

As for vaccinations as I didn't know their history, both sets of dogs were given the initial jabs (as if they were puppys) but I haven't bothered with the annual boosters - that is a personal choice, I don't use boarding kennels; dog walkers or day-care so its not needed for that and there is a load of debate / disagreement in the vet world about the need for annual boosters.

I have had to pay for dental work on some of the dogs - about £500 a pop but other than that no major one off bills but I am rather pragmatic about the future. They had/have a cushy life with me but if I were faced with a potential large one-off bill and it wouldn't really add anything to their quality of life or only prolong it by a few weeks/months then the decision would be due to their age not to proceed and to let them go gently into the night. You should consider what your limits will be - you may change those limits over time but it is inevitable so its worth having that conversation.

But most of all - enjoy your time with the oldies, it is truly rewarding (even if one turns out to be a neurotic drama queen with hell-hound delusions - he's barely 10 inches tall, he doesn't scare anyone :p) and you will be amazed how quickly they bond with you and become an integral part of your family. For all the tears that will inevitably come at the end, there is considerably more laughter, joy, companionship and enjoyment in the time you will have together.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another option to explore is whether the rescue can offer any backup. Obviously not to fund the every day costs like vaccinations etc., but they may be willing to cover any major pre-existing conditions (as no insurers will cover these if symptomatic, no matter how much you pay) or help with any big, unexpected vet bills (either by contribution towards them, or by offering use of any discounted vet care they have available to them as a rescue)

It may be beyond what they can offer, but then again, if it helps place two oldies into a home, they may be happy to come to an arrangement.
  • colazombie
    colazombie Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    well done for rehoming oldies :T
    We took on and old lurcher at 13 years old, so we didn't insure.
    Turns out after a vets check that he was more like ten years old :rotfl:
    He just passed this weekend and we were lucky i guess that he had no major health issues.
    I may one day rehome another at some point as i like to think we gave him his best years
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your doggie colazombie.

I adopted my foster dog from The Dogs Trust and he is covered by them for a pre existing skin condition.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had dogs for over 40 years and have never had insurance. I have had very sick dogs, but on balance the premiums would have been far more than treatments cost.

I think the only situation where I would insure was with something like a sight hound, as their legs do seem prone to injury.

My feeling is that if they need treatment which I can't afford, the treatment could well be more than I would be willing to put them through, especially when old, as my two are (11 and 12).

An internet vet once posted on a forum that she thought putting money aside was better than paying for insurance, unless one owned a very vulnerable breed. The chances of a young dog needing treatment are slim, leaving money in the pot for when they are older and need it.
  • Tiggermad
    Tiggermad Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice. We went for another visit last night to get to know them before they move in :)

Polly has a pre-existing on going problem with her ears and the RSPCA have already said they will cover any costs associated with her ears. They will even do it direct through the vet, i.e. We take them in and if it turns out to be Polly's ears are the problem then the RSPCA will just pick up the bill without us having to pay anything. The vets also offers a monthly plan (£10 a month) which covers boosters, flea treatment, worming, twice yearly health check and dental checks. Although I need to do some comparison costs for this.

I'll have a look at the dog's trust liability insurance. They are cross Cairn terriers so only little ones.

The point most of you have bought up is the one we're thinking, in that putting money aside might be better as at their age the cost of the treatment has to weighed against the quality of life it will offer. DH is very pro insurance, even at the increased and limited premiums where as I'm more inclined to put the money aside!

I'll post up piccie they when they arrive, in approx a month. So looking forward to having dogs :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure