We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pet insurance for rescue dogs

Options
2»

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 May 2015 at 8:28AM
    Options
    From the pro insurance POV, several years running I have claimed far more for my dog than I've paid in premiums. She has hypothyroidism - it's a fairly minor condition but she needs daily meds for life, plus multiple blood tests a year to monitor her levels (this should reduce once her dose stabilises a bit more, but we've averaged 4-6 a year at about £80 a pop). She also developed tendonitis in her shoulder last year - £450 in x-rays and meds, £250 in physio to recover fully. Since we were paying about £30 a month in premiums that year, we were definitely quids in.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A 12 month cover policy may be a compromise if youe husband is keen on insurance.

it will give you a 12 month breathing space before having to pay for treatment yourself- although there will be an excess to pay , so do check out exactly how much it is.
    Some policies have a extra copay after a certain age which reduces the amount you can claim as you cannot claim for that condition after the 12 months are up
  • woodworm001
    woodworm001 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned above, but Agria will cover rescue dogs of any age if the charity has already registered with them previously ....

This link is actually for the rescue centre but it may be worth asking with yours

http://www.agriapet.co.uk/rehoming-centres-and-charities/
  • Merry_Wanderer
    Options
    We rehomed a 12 yr/old from Dogs Trust and although he only lasted 5 months with us I'd adopt another oldie in a heartbeat! (although my greyhound girl is 10 now too).

I don't have insurance for illness, but do have 3rd party with dogs trust, and also for a few pounds a month the Vet provides me with an accident policy, which I like because it covers things like if she stands on something sharp while out walking, as well as more serious accidents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport