PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Persimmon Extras?

Options
PaulW85
PaulW85 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 19 April 2015 at 9:45AM in House buying, renting & selling
Me and my girlfriend are in the process of trying to buy a home form persimmon. We are first time buyers and using the help to buy scheme from the government where they provide a 20% equity loan and we pay a 5% deposit.

The house price is £214,995 which we have no problem with as we have been approved in prinicipal for a mortgage that covers this.

Our issue is with the extra, or as they call them finishing touches. There is about £6k of extras we would want in the home. Is it unrealstic to ask Persimmon to pay this?

We are first time buyers with no previous home, equity etc. We can cover all legal fees, stamp duty etc ourselves but want our home to be a home and not just an empty box.

Has anyone at experience lately with persimmon and what they would or would not likely offer?

Comments

• arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you are being unrealistic, yes.
    The extras are things that you want, and thus should be expected to pay for.

Your house will be a home through what you do with it, and it can take time to get things how you want them, including saving up for them.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Unfortunately this is common and as a FTB myself, I was surprised as a lot of things we took for granted didn't come as standard in 'New builds' We had to buy the flooring for example and that shocked us, otherwise it would just be a slab of concrete and you do what you want with it. Not forgetting finishing's e.t.c. This brought the overall buy price for me a lot more than we wanted. E.g 250k 3 bed, ends up costing easily 10k with extras.

In the end went against new builds as didn't suit me at this time. Not to mention the suspect build quality at present across the board. Just google your own developers and you will see. lots of bad rep for Crest Nicholson, barrats, Taylor wimpey e.t.c
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • MNM2903
    MNM2903 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    This is one of the reasons we decided against a new build. Its like buying a new car, you cant really add value to them. Unless house prices go up dramatically. You would be better off saving 10% deposit and an extra 6k yourself and getting an older house where you get more for your money and then you can use the money to do the house how you like it.

On the question you asked ive heard of people haggling for extras but this has been when they have put a 10% deposit themselves.

Dont ask you dont get is the rule i use.
  • csgohan4
    Options
    mullen8627 wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons we decided against a new build. Its like buying a new car, you cant really add value to them. Unless house prices go up dramatically. You would be better off saving 10% deposit and an extra 6k yourself and getting an older house where you get more for your money and then you can use the money to do the house how you like it.

On the question you asked ive heard of people haggling for extras but this has been when they have put a 10% deposit themselves.

Dont ask you dont get is the rule i use.

Whatever you do don't disclose any personal information. They will try and get financial stuff out of you like how much deposit, how much is your salary and will push you to use their broker. They want you to pay more for what is already an overpriced house.

I tried haggling on a new build, they wouldn't budge. But you may get more luck. Whether you have 10% or 50% does it matter, they are going to get the money any ways via a lender.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • panzer_pure
    Options
    Ive just exchanged contracts with a persimmon house for £195,950, before we reserved, i negotiated that i only want to my my furniture in or im walking away, i got

Full house carpetted in there grade 3 flooring and tuffstuff flooring at entrance
    Double oven
    Intergrated fridge freezer
    Intergrated washing machine
    Upgraded kitchen frontals
    Kitchen worktop upgraded to a breakfast bar size
    Stainless steel upgrade
    Alarm
    Turf to front and back
    Upgraded and half tiling to main bathroom aswell as a shower fitted
    Outside light

Ive also gone through help2buy, but this was all negotiated before i handed over my reservation fee, house is being completed in june ready to move in july :) so the answer is yes, there is always room to negotiate, especially if your now buying a house which will be completed for june time (persimmons financial half year) i reserved my house in february
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Persimmon houses are cheaper than others because they come with very little as standard and are made of prefabricated timber.

You can probably negotiate some extras before you reserve.

Bovis who we have bought with come with everything as standard.
  • csgohan4
    Options
    Jon_B wrote: »
    Persimmon houses are cheaper than others because they come with very little as standard and are made of prefabricated timber.

You can probably negotiate some extras before you reserve.

Bovis who we have bought with come with everything as standard.

Is the quality also cheap?

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've never owned a Persimmon home, so who knows?
  • csgohan4
    Options
    Ive just exchanged contracts with a persimmon house for £195,950, before we reserved, i negotiated that i only want to my my furniture in or im walking away, i got

Full house carpetted in there grade 3 flooring and tuffstuff flooring at entrance
    Double oven
    Stainless steel upgrade
    Alarm
    Turf to front and back
    Outside light

Ive also gone through help2buy, but this was all negotiated before i handed over my reservation fee, house is being completed in june ready to move in july :) so the answer is yes, there is always room to negotiate, especially if your now buying a house which will be completed for june time (persimmons financial half year) i reserved my house in february

Is that full price or was it on the market for much more?

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Double oven
    Stainless steel upgrade
    Alarm
    Turf to front and back
    Outside light

TBH if your house is going to be ready in June or July for completion, it means that they are well into the build already. You've probably got a good deal on this house, because they don't want to end up with a stock unit!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure