Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion - Page 32

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
365 replies 175.4K views

Replies

• Lorna1974Lorna1974 Forumite
    1 posts
    I wondered if anyone had cover from Aviva? My husband has coronary artery disease and they are covering us plus my daughter for around £127 for a holiday to Mexico. This includes a discount for being a car insurance customer. Given a lot of other quotes have been significantly higher, I wonder whether I should go with this? Grateful for any advice. TIA
  • koalakoalakoalakoala Forumite
    271 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I'm with Aviva and they have been nothing but helpful. I had to cancel a holiday at the weekend
  • korukoru Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have pre existing medical issues which i declared on the quotes.

But in the exclusions its says that pre existing health issues, terrorism atta ks, flight delays are all excluded??!!!
    Generally, if you disclose pre-existings, these are not excluded. The whole point of asking you to disclose is to decide if they will cover the conditions and at what premium. Check the paper work - they should have made clear what they have done about what you disclosed. Or phone them and ask.
    koru
  • In 2012, I was diagnosed with renal cancer and had my right kidney removed. Two years later to the day, a small wedge of my left lung was taken out as a small part of the tumour had been left behind and worked its way round my body and rested there.
    Since then, I have been all clear, thank God, and have regular check ups and scans. The next is at the end of June. My wife and I have booked a 2 week holiday in Mexico in September and I will celebrate my 65th birthday over there. I take medication to control my blood pressure and statins
    Given the circumstances, can anyone advise or recommend an insurer who would be sympathetic/understanding to my condition?
  • victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    maverick2 wrote: »
    In 2012, I was diagnosed with renal cancer and had my right kidney removed. Two years later to the day, a small wedge of my left lung was taken out as a small part of the tumour had been left behind and worked its way round my body and rested there.
    Since then, I have been all clear, thank God, and have regular check ups and scans. The next is at the end of June. My wife and I have booked a 2 week holiday in Mexico in September and I will celebrate my 65th birthday over there. I take medication to control my blood pressure and statins
    Given the circumstances, can anyone advise or recommend an insurer who would be sympathetic/understanding to my condition?
    Try BUPA. They won't be the cheapest, but I use them with pre-existing conditions, about which they are fully aware and accept. I take the same medication and they have no problem with that. Have used them for many years, claimed twice and they handled that with professionalism and integrity as well.
    IME they are understanding on the phone too, with no hard sell.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maverick2 wrote: »
    In 2012, I was diagnosed with renal cancer and had my right kidney removed. Two years later to the day, a small wedge of my left lung was taken out as a small part of the tumour had been left behind and worked its way round my body and rested there.

Not sure if I've worked out the dates correctly but does this mean it's 5 years coming up since treatment ended?

My consultant stopped seeing me in person (just checked the scans) after three years and by 5 years even the scans had stopped. Of course your consultant may decide that the check-ups will be ongoing which while really helpful and reassuring isn't what insurance companies like to hear. :(

I don't know if it's standard with insurance companies or, of course, with your consultant and particular condition but 5 years clear with no more planned check ups seemed to be relevant when I recently insured with LV and on the quote questionnaires with some others I tried.
  • LxxxxnLxxxxn Forumite
    1 posts
    I went on holiday December 2018 my son fell ill and was admitted to hospital for 3 days unfortunately this was the same three days my family of 4 including my son were supposed to check in at a hotel, we ended up not going obviously as my son who’s under 16 was admitted to hospital and the hotel was nowhere near the hospital. I received a response to my claim for medical expenses and no show to the hotel due to my son being admitted to the hospital, with £95 rewarded back for medical expenses forever £75 was deducted due to excess fee yet they stated in regards to the hotel I booked that my travel insurance wouldn’t be able “to cover the unused accommodation as this was still able to be used whilst your son was admitted and is not a covered expense within the policy.” I don’t understand how the travel insurance company would expect me to send my daughter who is classed as an adult with my two sons one is under 12 and one a newborn to a hotel 3/4hours away from their mother and brother overseas in Jamaica. Please can anyone help me find a way to override this ridiculous decision.
  • victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lxxxxn wrote: »
    I went on holiday December 2018 my son fell ill and was admitted to hospital for 3 days unfortunately this was the same three days my family of 4 including my son were supposed to check in at a hotel, we ended up not going obviously as my son who’s under 16 was admitted to hospital and the hotel was nowhere near the hospital. I received a response to my claim for medical expenses and no show to the hotel due to my son being admitted to the hospital, with £95 rewarded back for medical expenses forever £75 was deducted due to excess fee yet they stated in regards to the hotel I booked that my travel insurance wouldn’t be able “to cover the unused accommodation as this was still able to be used whilst your son was admitted and is not a covered expense within the policy.” I don’t understand how the travel insurance company would expect me to send my daughter who is classed as an adult with my two sons one is under 12 and one a newborn to a hotel 3/4hours away from their mother and brother overseas in Jamaica. Please can anyone help me find a way to override this ridiculous decision.
    Just about all policies have an excess amount applied to any claim, so that is to be expected. £95 for 3 days hospitalisation sounds remarkably cheap, but maybe that was all the policy covered. Most of us will not read all the policy details until itcomes to a claim, so if the insurers say your other expenses were not covered, then that is probably what the policy effectively says. You can appeal to the insurers, but if they've made a decision based on the policy wording, good luck with that.
    That is one reason why I've stuck with the same insurer for many years. As it happens, I've had my money's worth with claims, but the way they dealt with the claims made me appreciate what I'd paid for.
  • korukoru Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Lxxxxn wrote: »
    I don’t understand how the travel insurance company would expect me to send my daughter who is classed as an adult with my two sons one is under 12 and one a newborn to a hotel 3/4hours away from their mother and brother overseas in Jamaica. Please can anyone help me find a way to override this ridiculous decision.
    Write and tell them why it is unreasonable. Escalate it. If necessary, threaten to appeal to the Insurance Ombudsman.
    koru
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever you are not happy with your insurance company the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are not happy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you