Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion - Page 17

New Post Advanced Search

Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion

365 replies 174.2K views
1141517192037

Replies

  • Tardis4Tardis4 Forumite
    27 posts
    Yikes, what a nightmare. At least you've got it sorted out now!
    I'm going by what I've got in writing for pre-existing - so bizarre though.
    These insurance companies just don't inspire confidence!!
  • Hi. Just looking for some advice regarding travel insurance. I am travelling to Spain in just over 3 weeks. I already have pre existing conditions and have taken out insurance declaring these. I also have annual worldwide travel insurance with Nationwide which I choose not to use as it's extortionate to get them to cover pre existing conditions.

    Thing is I went to the doctors 3 weeks ago and am awaiting an mri scan. I took out the insurance policy in June. I'm told by the doctor today that it could take 6 weeks to get my scan so probably won't have had it or have the results by the time I travel.

    Just want to know where I stand, if I contact them are they likely to ask me for more money seeing as I don't have a diagnosis and didn't have this condition when I took out the policy?
  • GangaGanga Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jed_Exodus wrote: »
    Hi. Just looking for some advice regarding travel insurance. I am travelling to Spain in just over 3 weeks. I already have pre existing conditions and have taken out insurance declaring these. I also have annual worldwide travel insurance with Nationwide which I choose not to use as it's extortionate to get them to cover pre existing conditions.

    Thing is I went to the doctors 3 weeks ago and am awaiting an mri scan. I took out the insurance policy in June. I'm told by the doctor today that it could take 6 weeks to get my scan so probably won't have had it or have the results by the time I travel.

    Just want to know where I stand, if I contact them are they likely to ask me for more money seeing as I don't have a diagnosis and didn't have this condition when I took out the policy?

    You will have to tell them,if anything happens and they find out about the pending scan you will not be covered.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Thanks Ganga. I spoke to them today and they have told me that because I don't have any results of the tests I won't be covered if I need any treatment that is related to the condition. The condition is Tinnitus in one ear. It hasn't interfered with my day to day life in any way.

    I have a couple of other conditions as I said that I always declare. They also don't impede with my life in any way but I always worry that if I need treatment they will use these as a way out of paying by saying it could be linked, which is obviously bothering me now with this.

    So I'm in a bit of a spot now, wondering what to do for the best. I obviously have my EHIC, could I ask that in case of emergency that I'm taken to a public hospital and not private? Or could I ask to be taken off our Policy and insure myself elsewhere? Would anyone have any recommendations of where I could get covered?
  • GangaGanga Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jed_Exodus wrote: »
    Thanks Ganga. I spoke to them today and they have told me that because I don't have any results of the tests I won't be covered if I need any treatment that is related to the condition. The condition is Tinnitus in one ear. It hasn't interfered with my day to day life in any way.

    I have a couple of other conditions as I said that I always declare. They also don't impede with my life in any way but I always worry that if I need treatment they will use these as a way out of paying by saying it could be linked, which is obviously bothering me now with this.

    So I'm in a bit of a spot now, wondering what to do for the best. I obviously have my EHIC, could I ask that in case of emergency that I'm taken to a public hospital and not private? Or could I ask to be taken off our Policy and insure myself elsewhere? Would anyone have any recommendations of where I could get covered?

    If you have declared all your other pre-existing conditions you are fully covered exept for tinnitus,as that is unlikely to cause you any problembs whilst on holiday (i mean any problembs that would need you to contact your insurer ) you should go and enjoy yourself.:)
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Thanks again for your comment. I just spoke to Nationwide who have said that as this condition came up after I booked the holiday, they will cover it on the Flex Plus travel insurance. As you say probably won't need to worry but I hate giving insurance companies any wriggle room.
  • GangaGanga Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jed_Exodus wrote: »
    Thanks again for your comment. I just spoke to Nationwide who have said that as this condition came up after I booked the holiday, they will cover it on the Flex Plus travel insurance. As you say probably won't need to worry but I hate giving insurance companies any wriggle room.

    Also as you have allready stated you will have your EHIC card with you and i beleive the health care you would receive in Spain is as good as the UK.:)
    Enjoy your holiday
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Have had annual worldwide policy with Insure and Go for many yrs now. A couple of years ago my partner had a coronary stent inserted and treatment for prostate cancer. This was declared and Insure and Go covered us for everything except these condiions. Same happened last year when we renwed. This year they have decided to cover him for these conditions (which caused no problems after the initial treatment) but want to charge nearly £400 extra for the policy! When I asked them to quote price without this cover they refused saying as the conditions had been declared they had to cover them! This despite the fact that for the last 2 years they were quite happy to be aware but not to c over them! So much for loyalty....any ideas where I can get cover for 2 70yr olds - the other with high BP controlled by meds - who are off to the Emirates in Novmber?
  • I go Money Supermarket to get single trip travel insurance. You can put in the conditions you have then it finds the best quote.
  • edited 22 September 2017 at 10:59AM
    korukoru Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 22 September 2017 at 10:59AM
    Jed_Exodus wrote: »
    I go Money Supermarket to get single trip travel insurance. You can put in the conditions you have then it finds the best quote.
    They don't seem to cover a lot of the market. I have tried several specialist cancer insurers and they all asked about a dozen questions for screening. Not one of these companies is included when I get a quote with Money Supermarket. Their online screening asked only 4 questions in relation to a specific form of cancer, two of which were irrelevant for that type of cancer. I don't see how they can have enough information to know that an insurer will cover the condition.

    The cheapest quote it gave (for a single person, 7 days in Italy) was £80, which is about four times higher than the cheapest cover I can get with other specialists. Perhaps this is because MS is only giving quotes from a handful of insurers who use the same restricted medical screening. Others who bother to find out more are able to assess that the risk is low, so they quote a lower premium.

    Maybe MS's approach works better for more routine conditions.
    koru
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support