Last few steps of my journey need somewhere to keep focused

in Debt free diaries
217 replies 10.7K views
I've been reading through everyone's diaries and they are so inspiring you're all doing so amazingly and they've given me a boost to really focus on shifting this last bit of debt we have so that we can buy our new home :j
I thought if I started writing everything down on here it would keep me on the right path as although I have lists coming out of my ears for everything this seemed a good place to keep my debt list :)
So, we sold our lovely house 16months ago due to terrible neighbours and moved into rental while we looked for new home and then we decided to get our debts cleared before we take on a new mortgage and all the other costs that come with a new home.
I really want to get this last bit of debt shifted and add extra into our deposit savings so I NEED to stay focused because I really want to own my own home again.
my problem always ends up being the little surprise emergencies that cost me a small fortune and eat into any extra money I would have used to slash the debt, in the last few months we've had unexpected car and vets bills over £1500 so that really scuppered my plans to pay off a visa card
Hubby is completely on board with my no spend plans and kiddies never ask for much so if I just stay on track don't get too many more surprises and stop "treating" the kids to a couple of £ on this and a couple of £ on that even though they don't ask I like to give and then think later :mad:
So we are on track to be debt free October 2016 I'd really love to be done much sooner as I want to move now but am trying to be cautious and realistic

Long long post I know well done if you've read it all bit it's just for me to read back over and boost myself when needed
Plan to post once a week or more to keep myself updated and motivated :)
Total 15th April '15 :£12594.00 :eek:
Total today: £
Savings Today £1000
Xmas Shopping £0
Don't give up, when you've reached the bottom the only way to go is back up

Replies

• edited 17 April 2015 at 12:48PM
    LastFewStepsLastFewSteps Forumite
    220 Posts
    edited 17 April 2015 at 12:48PM
    Phew what a day but home at last, spent a bit on petrol this week due to kids hospital appointments but no more journeys this momth except school runs and clubs so should keep diesel to a minimum
    managed to list a few things on eBay but still got loads left to put on there also tomorrow need to start a dog portrait commission ive had so I can get paid for that only a few £ but better than nothing, and I've got a stall at a ladies pamper evening this weekend so I can sell all my leftover stock of jewellery that hasn't sold before, so that should be a few more pounds in the pot by this Sunday :j
    Can't wait for end of month so I can pay off one visa to make a nice dent of £850 and sort hubby's car so we can put up for sale
    So tomorrow more ebay and scouring the house for unwanted clutter then off to my grandads for the afternoon before school run so that will be a no spending day fingers crossed very tightly
    Feeling motivated :)
    Savings Today £1000
    Xmas Shopping £0
  • Just walked the hounds,put the washing out and tidied up after the morning tornado of kids, now having a coffee before starting the rest of my day
    not going to be a no spend day today, need to top up diesel £15 in my car for tomorrow school run and after school sports, the joys of living in a rural ish area with a big car means I have to spend a bit too much on diesel but on the brighter side I have fields in front of me and its so peaceful here, when we've moved I will be trading in my car for a less expensive one (secretly not looking forward to that I love my car she's got seven seats to fit all of us and the dogs for any days out, camping holidays, and comfortably driven abroad with her so I really would like her to last forever and diesel to suddenly drop to less than 50p a litre :D but that's not going to happen so I just need her to hold out for another year fingers and everything else crossed tightly
    Also need a loaf of bread 75p :( my weekly shop is done tomorrow and for the last two months ive been trying to stick to a weekly shop Friday and a top up on a Monday and its made a huge difference to our spending, also going to make another change as Ive always shopped in morrisons and tescos for years but tomorrow I'm going to try lidl and aldi instead, am ever so slightly nervous about this don't know what ill find there !
    had made £20 so far in eBay this week but then a seller needs to retract bid so now going to be less but I started with £0 so its still good and still have loads left to list, so off to put a few more pieces on this morning then get on with the pet portrait so I can get a few more £ :T
    It's all good I'm just keeping on looking for that brighter side :)
    Savings Today £1000
    Xmas Shopping £0
  • I just cut up one of my Visa cards :j:T
    I've been keeping it in my purse just incase of emergencies, it has a balance of £800 but has a high limit on there but it occurred to me that the last few emergencies we've had have gone on our overdraft and then been cleared with the following months wages, I'm set to clear this card in July so why am I keeping it and possibly risking increasing the balance making it harder to pay it off ! so the scissors came out bye bye card
    Woohoo feeling so good been wanting to cut it up for a while but was afraid we'd need it so just need July to get here quick smart and then its completely gone
    Need to stop wishing the months away but the balances come down when I do :)
    Savings Today £1000
    Xmas Shopping £0
  • Hiya and welcome.

I am hoping to be debt free by December 2016 so we have similar targets. Well done for cutting up the card :)
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)
    Loan 1 £1787

Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • Hi :D ooh nice that we have similar dates perhaps we can encourage each other to keep at it :)
    It's only about a year and half and a bit :) which really isn't that long is it, especially when I think that my eldest is 15 and those years have flown so I'm sure the time will come around quickly :)
    Thanks for replying, I don't mind rambling to myself but it is nice to not feel like I'm talking to myself going insane :)
    Also no spend day crept up to another £11 my grandad needed a new kettle which I bought for him and I won't ask him for the money he's 90 and has always spoiled us all so I really can't bring myself to ask him so will just grin and bear it and hubby won't be getting his bottle of wine in my weekly shop tomorrow - its his only treat, he never asks for anything, no new clothes, shoes, nights out with friends etc, so the last 4 weeks ive started to factor in one bottle to my weekly shop he is the one earning the bulk of our income after all so deserves a little treat, I will have my treat when all of this is paid off : my new home :D
    Savings Today £1000
    Xmas Shopping £0
  • edited 30 May 2015 at 2:29PM
    220 Posts
    edited 30 May 2015 at 2:29PM
    Weekly shop done, finally all put away in nice clean cupboards - the advantage of empty cupboards they're easy to clean before I refill :D I went to l1dl and ald1 but I did have to go to tesco as there were a couple of things I couldn't get at the others, overall I was happy with the shopping some things were cheaper some things were the same so not a massive difference really but I did spend £10 less than I normally do :D which then got spent on ds2 new school jumper because he has grown again :mad: and I got three small Xmas presents in the reduced aisle so they've gone into my Xmas bag - I add to this throughout the year starting in the January sales, I've been doing it since the children were small and it's made a big difference to my Xmas shopping, I think I'll still be doing it when the kids have left home :)
    Got to add all of today's spending into my big black book of doom later and then check the bank accounts and mark everything off in my bills book, this is something I'm definitely going to keep doing when were off this ride, it's really made me think about what we spend to the point where I don't like spending just because I have to write it in the book :rotfl:
    Only down side today is that I bought bread in ald1 for 75p each but when I popped into tesco it was only 55p a loaf ! Now if I hadn't forgot to buy the blinking thing yesterday i would have seen it and saved my pennies ! :rotfl:
    Working tonight so just got to price tag all the jewellery and pack the car, fingers crossed I can make a few £ and it can go straight off visa1 balance reducing it more before I pay it off at the end of the month :j
    Savings Today £1000
    Xmas Shopping £0
  • edited 17 April 2015 at 12:53PM
    220 Posts
    edited 17 April 2015 at 12:53PM
    Just updated the book of doom with my spends, checked the bank all bills gone out and only three small ones left to pay, nothing spare but everything's paid so that's good :)
    Then I checked visa1 balance and it's £150 less than I estimated so that's now £700 I have to pay off at the end of the month not £850 wooooooooohoooooo ! :j :T :j
    So now I'm not sure what to do with the spare £150, I can take it off another debt or put it into savings or start an emergency fund (haven't got one of these yet we've had so many blinking emergencies we've never been able to start one :mad:
    Ooh I've never been so excited about paying bills ! I remember the days when I used to feel sick when the bills came thorough the letterbox now I can't wait to get them it's so nice to see the balances going down ticking everything off means I'm getting closer to getting a new home , I really miss my old house, it still makes me cry when I think about it so it's really important that I keep on top of this, keep going, keep paying and stay happy no matter what :) who needs clothes and shoes and holidays and nights out and a life :rotfl:
    Savings Today £1000
    Xmas Shopping £0
  • You wouldn't believe what I've changed over the years to get to where I am now (as in finally paying it off!). I only shop at Ald1, don't buy clothes, magazines, very little make up, shampoo in large cheap bottles, no accessories and no hair colours etc. I used to spend a FORTUNE on it and I don't miss it. Very rarely anyway. I watch every penny and rarely spend on anything off budget. The feeling of being DF outweighs the annoyance of not having much money now.
    Debt - CCV £3792
    Loan 1 £1787

Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • The £150 I would put to debt for sure.
    Debt - CCV £3792
    Loan 1 £1787

Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • edited 30 May 2015 at 2:29PM
    220 Posts
    edited 30 May 2015 at 2:29PM
    Well tonight was the worst nights work ever :( only made £2 which after costs is a loss ! unblinkingbelieveable !! :mad:
    I didn't think I'd make much, it was a favour for a friend so not a proper event as such but I thought Id make enough to cover costs etc and have a few pound wages for myself :( oh well made some new contacts, got a painting finished, and had a nice couple of hours just me and dd :) and dh washed the dishes before I came home :)
    So no xtra money to go towards visa1 but [email protected] items have some bids and also i get the pet portrait off to its owners next week
    I wish I could get a "proper" job one where I go in do work and come home and get paid at the end of the month, ive been trying for the last year and a half but as I'm the only one that can do the school run and sports clubs etc its just impossible to find anything that has hours I can actually work, there are plenty of full time jobs I could have taken a long time ago and had a nice wage to put towards everything but having nobody to help with picking up kids is not easy for getting a job :( never mind at least I'm here for them all while they're growing up :)

Oh and thanks DebtFree2012 I will put the £150 to a debt :)
    Savings Today £1000
    Xmas Shopping £0
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions